Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ulrich W.
uwittehh

Germany
827 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Mar 08 2009 :  6:15:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit uwittehh's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Recently somebody asked me if I know how much cameras in the USSR cost. I told him that have no idea.

So, what were the costs for a Zorki 1/4 or a FED 1/2/3 or a Kiev II/III in the USSR in the time when they come to the market? And what were the salaries of a worker or engeneer compared to the costs of a camera? Was it relativly comparable to e.g. West Germany, where you have to pay 3 month salaries for a Contax IIIa or a Leica in the fifties?

I have found two bills until now, one was of a FED 1 from 1935, the price was 880 Rubels, but I have no idea about rubels in the thirties... The other was the bill of a Jupiter 12 of the seventies, the price was something about 30 Rubels, what seems to be really cheap compared to the exchange D-Mark-Rubel in that time.

Does anyone know more about it?

Ulrich

http://fotos.cconin.de
zhang
Kievuser
310 Posts
Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  03:50:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think average Soviet citizen made about 100 rubles a month in 1970's. A Kiev 4 cost a bit more for about 120 rubles, but I heard that in addition to money, one needs to find a permit from a committee to buy a Kiev 4.;-) A Fed 3 cost much less at about 50 rubles, and without a permit.
Go to Top of Page
Zoom
596 Posts
Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  5:45:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by uwittehh

Recently somebody asked me if I know how much cameras in the USSR cost. I told him that have no idea.

http://www.zenitcamera.com/qa/qa-prices.html

Go to Top of Page

Ulrich W.
uwittehh
Germany
827 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  5:23:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit uwittehh's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Zoom and Zhang,

thanks for the info, now I know a bit more about the pricing of cameras in the SU. As I remember in the 70ties we have had an exchange of 1 DM to 10 Rubles... so if I had known at that time that I'm going to collect sowjet cameras today I would have bought a lot of them when I was visiting Moscow in 1977 :-)

Ulrich

Go to Top of Page
Dayton nathandayton
USA
95 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  6:48:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit nathandayton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ulrich, only one thing wrong with your plan! They charged outgoing Duties an such things specifically to prevent it!
Go to Top of Page

Juhani Halmeenmaki
cedricfan
Finland
1014 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  12:18:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit cedricfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So many things were differently: another even better black market exchange rate, everything could be done with nylons & Juicyfruit and so on. So if you did want to export something you just left some gifts (bribes) on the top of your case...

Best regards,
Juhani
Go to Top of Page

Ulrich W.
uwittehh
Germany
827 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Mar 25 2009 :  6:02:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit uwittehh's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, what I remember when I was in Moscow 1976 or 77...

I have been in holiday in Bulgaria with my mother (I was 15 or 16). We made a weekend trip to Moscow (it was really cheap). From Varna we were flying with a Tupolew 134 or 154. During the landing in Moscow a lamp from the ceiling comes down and smashes on the floor :-)

Im Moscow we stayed at Hotel Rossia or Russia, a very big house in place. We got a key, entered our room but it was occupied by two different persons... after we talked to a woman that sits in a corner on the floor (in every corner in every floor sat a woman) we got another room.

The next day we made a sightseeing tour on a bus through Moscow. The driver did not know the way exactly so we went into an area where it lookes as if really poor people live there. But hopefully he found the way to Lomossow University. After that we visited the red place and the Kreml. That was really amazing. We thought to take a look at Lenin's mausoleum, but there were about 500m people in front of it who want to go there and we dif not have the time to wait.

The plane to Varna goes back. After entering the Tupolew my seat brokes, it was a horrible flight, but we arrived in good state back.
Unfortunately I have not made any photos of that trip.

Ulrich

Go to Top of Page
Zoom
596 Posts
Posted - Mar 26 2009 :  1:12:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by uwittehh

From Varna we were flying with a Tupolew 134 or 154.

Tu-134. Btw. it was a very reliable and safe aircraft...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google