Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Aidas Pikiotas
AidasCams

Lithuania
973 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Mar 30 2009 :  03:09:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit AidasCams's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Viktor Suglob asked me to show you the picture of GOMZ Sport camera. Camera itself seems to be an early version with top-plate held by 6 screws. But the most interesting thing is very uncommon construction of white lens. It looks like technical, or so ... If any of you have met this type of lens and could tell us more, any information would be very appreciated. Thanks in advance!

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/IMG_8049_resize.JPG

Best Regards,
Aidas

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Mar 30 2009 :  10:31:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, it almost looks like someone had re-machined a new lens ring and mount for this camera, keeping the inner tube.. It does not look very age appropriate to me... I do not remember GOMZ chroming any of their parts at that time period...

Vlad.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Mar 30 2009 :  11:22:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
To me it looks like the lens ring is a "last version - white nickel" and was re-machined at the front and inside, possibly to mount the earlier lens block (and put on the earlier camera. I'm not sure that ?I can think of a technical purpose for this as all of the functions look the same and the lens does not look like it would mount onto another piece of equipment.
I have never seen it before, but maybe it is a factory repair to a damaged lens mount, or it could be just a trial shape for a new design for the Sport lens mount which did change cosmetically several times over it's life.

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Mar 30 2009 :  12:04:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with Bill, to emphasize his point - it does not look technical to me either, the focusing wheel I think just has a deep gear-like groove pattern but seems purely cosmetic.. My feeling - it is possible it's a later replacement and seems unlikely to me to be an original GOMZ factory one, the work seems too much like something that came out from common mechanical shop that maybe makes equipment like electric meat grinders(example), the work is too rough and not as exquisite or precise as something that would have came out of a camera factory that uses finer machinery. Just compare it to the wind knob in terms of quality of metal work. But not gonna speculate anymore, just stating the first impression of this camera... a unique example nonetheless.

Vlad.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Mar 30 2009 :  1:07:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks like from the factory to me. Possibly a factory lens mount that has been altered, mostly at the front and the beveled inset in the front that holds the front of the lens. To me it doesn't look like outside work.

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page
Don Gillette
dgillette4
USA
202 Posts
Posted - Mar 30 2009 :  8:44:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This may be even more rare. I used to scuba dive and the under-water housing used gears to operate the focus through a water sealed gear to a knob external to the housing. This was in Ikelite housings but were made of plastic.

ZORKIE'S Survive
Go to Top of Page

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Mar 30 2009 :  10:16:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I also thought that it could have the purpose of a camera adapted to an underwater case, but if that was the purpose I don't think that the infinity focus lock would have been left in place as it would have engaged during focusing when in the underwater case, causing problems for the diver-photographer.

According to the serial number on the lens, 12406, this camera (if the lens is original to the body) was toward the end of the "classic version" production (with six screws). So possibly this could have been a trial design for a new lens mount style ... maybe a prototype lens mount. There are a number of cosmetic differences and versions of the lens mounts throughout the Sport production.

From the photo it is hard for me to tell if the front edge of the lens mount is actually in the form of a gear, or just part of the focusing grip design like other Sports. Aidas ... what does Viktor think about it?

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page

Aidas Pikiotas
AidasCams
Lithuania
973 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Mar 31 2009 :  12:56:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit AidasCams's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,

thanks a lot for your valuable comments! I only know that Viktor and Sergey have examined this lens carefully. As I was said, they didn't find any signs of possible non-factory re-modification, so it seems to be a factory made item. But who can say now for sure?

Thanks again,
Aidas
Go to Top of Page
BERRY alain
mermoz37
France
814 Posts
Posted - Mar 31 2009 :  04:32:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
a thing is credible: the lens is made in a coherent crown of Nickel massive with what was manufactured in this time. simply, it is noticed that the crown is more oxidized than lens mount (look brand new).
Go to Top of Page
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo
Brazil
1981 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Mar 31 2009 :  04:47:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Really this lens looks different from conventional versions we used to see.
But one must have in mind that in Russia there were several "Renonta" shops with competent people there, who staged in factories. Several of them, eventually used to produce small lots of some accessories and adapt some cameras for special purposes, not saying that they have also done some "special items" exclusively for friends ans relatives. This I did see personally. Recently shown the two lens turret for the Zenit is a clear product of such costume.
By this reason, it is much more probable the possibility of a new remake of this lens for one or other reason.
Regard
LP
Go to Top of Page

Miguel Curado
mtcurado
Portugal
19 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Apr 14 2015 :  09:01:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit mtcurado's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just bought one of those lenses, however this one was made by KOMZ (see logo), not GOMZ. Pictures below.

It does not have the internal ring, so I assume I must somehow disassemble the "regular" GOMZ Sport lens to install it.

Any advice?

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/1762015_MC8_5607 crop.JPG

Industar 10, KOMZ
Индустар 10, КОМЗ

Edited by - mtcurado on Jun 17 2015 09:52:34 AM
Go to Top of Page
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo
Brazil
1981 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Apr 15 2015 :  4:02:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
same number of teeth

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/1542015_sport lubitel.png

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/1542015_sport lubitel 2.png

Go to Top of Page

Miguel Curado
mtcurado
Portugal
19 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Apr 15 2015 :  4:18:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit mtcurado's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well spotted Luiz!
So you don't think this is the same lens as in Viktor Suglob's "technical" Sport, shown at the top of this page?
Maybe his camera uses a lens adapted from a TLR, therefore the "teeth".
Another justification for the teeth could be something like the GOMZ Sputnik stereo camera.

travel-images.com

Edited by - mtcurado on Apr 15 2015 5:58:10 PM
Go to Top of Page
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo
Brazil
1981 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Apr 16 2015 :  07:15:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
my dear Miguel

The lens you bought has no locking point nor any focus possibility.
It seem to be a projector lens from a micro film reader .... may be.... Those câmeras so adapted could be post- refurbishment.

One must have on mind that USSR state owned enterprises had an extraordinary manufacture standardizing (which I admire) and such repairs (or part substitution) could be the a servisse recommendation procedure.

meu abraço cordial, my best regards
and Welcome to our fórum

LP
Go to Top of Page

Miguel Curado
mtcurado
Portugal
19 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Apr 16 2015 :  07:38:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit mtcurado's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes Luiz, you are correct. It is only part of the lens: focusing ring, mount, locking are missing. In order to understand it, we probably need to look closely at the camera in Suglob's collection. Likely his camera is a unique adaptation. Still his lens is directly from GOMZ and mine from KOMZ.

Grande abraço de Lisboa!

Miguel

quote:
Originally posted by Luiz Paracampo

my dear Miguel

The lens you bought has no locking point nor any focus possibility.
It seem to be a projector lens from a micro film reader .... may be.... Those câmeras so adapted could be post- refurbishment.

One must have on mind that USSR state owned enterprises had an extraordinary manufacture standardizing (which I admire) and such repairs (or part substitution) could be the a servisse recommendation procedure.

meu abraço cordial, my best regards
and Welcome to our fórum

LP

travel-images.com

Edited by - mtcurado on Apr 16 2015 07:38:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

Miguel Curado
mtcurado
Portugal
19 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jun 16 2015 :  11:56:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit mtcurado's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Industar 10 lens from KOMZ can be seen here on the Gomz Sport mount, with its unique lock system.

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/1662015_MC8_5668 crop.JPG

объектив Индустар 10 (И10), для Фотоаппарат Спорт

MT

Edited by - mtcurado on Jun 16 2015 11:56:56 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google