Located in
History, Documents & Ephemera > Sovetskoe Foto & Magazines

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo

Brazil
1959 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Oct 17 2007 :  5:07:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This could be noted as the swan song in FED camera making and developing. One unit, possible the same one pictured from SF maganine was sold in an auction in Germany in 2002. I have a previous article from 1998 possibly also in SF about development os this camera. It shows a different picture. Always with the proeminent Helios Lens. I want to know from you opinions about the success of such a camera. - Note that 200 roubles represented the triple of a FED 5 cost, then in normal production.
PS: I did several experiences, and the world known Helios 44 of 58mm, completely covers the 6x6 format. The used 65mm Helios would be a normal lens for the 4.5x6 picture and a wide angle in the 6x7 format.

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Oct 17 2007 :  6:47:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello Luiz,

I'm sure that this would hve been a very nice camera to use and with large negatives and this design, a pleasure to see the results.

I know of two actual prototypes of this camera and unfortunately, neither was built to be functional, and in fact neither did work. They were both "mock-ups" made for advertising purposes to show what the camera would look like, probably for Photokina type shows, or for financial investors to look at.

I was offered one of these, but did not buy it because the price was so high and it was not complete. The other was offered to a friend in Europe who did not buy that one for similar reasons. However, no doubt someone bought these two and they are now in collections somewhere!

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo
Brazil
1959 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Oct 17 2007 :  7:08:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Bill
In fact this camera has many potencialities and is very easy to be used. It has no exposure meter, only rangefinder with aerial images of similar construction to Zeiss Ikon rangefinder used in many top Polaroid cameras. The shutter is the same used in FED 10 and FED Atlas, itself an extended production of German Pentacon TEMPOR shutters. The external design is clearly inspired from Fuji 645 series medium format rangefinders but seems to have no complicated internal construction of them. Two film inserts change the format and frame counter. If we could have access to the original body tools those cameras, they can be easily duplicated at very affordable prices.
Regards.
LP
Go to Top of Page
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo
Brazil
1959 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Oct 17 2007 :  7:11:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very interesting we could have a collection of photos of such camera,
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4236 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Oct 18 2007 :  12:28:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bill, did you keep any images of these cameras from the time they were offered to you?

Vlad.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Oct 18 2007 :  9:55:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Vlad,
I don't have photos of the one that was on Ebay, however I do have some photos of the one that was offered at the Leica Shop in Vienna in 2002.

I will look for them and add them to the WIKI entry over the weekend. They are very detailed and interesting.

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4236 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Oct 18 2007 :  10:00:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That will be awesome! Thanks Bill! I will also try to add some entries sometime next week, I had not done it in a while... been very busy with work like you.. I'm getting some very interesting cameras within next couple of weeks so expect cool entries. :) That steel covered Zorki just by itself will steal the show. :)

Vlad
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google