Still Cameras > KGB - Spy Cameras

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Detlev Vreisleben
Detlev

Germany
90 Posts
Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  5:34:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,
a former KGB member told me that "Rubin" is the commercial version of "Alycha". KGB cameras don't wear their names on them.
Detlev

Aidas Pikiotas
AidasCams
Lithuania
973 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  01:43:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit AidasCams's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello,

Another former member of lithuanian KGB have told me, that "RUBIN" camera was used by KGB agents for sure. But I'm not discounting a possibility that initially Rubin was intended for something else ...

Best Regards,
Aidas
Go to Top of Page
Detlev Vreisleben
Detlev
Germany
90 Posts
Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  05:56:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Aidas,
here is a list of KGB rollover cameras:
Alycha 1950-60
Alycha-2 1955-1965
Alycha-M 1960
Nichrom-63 1963
F-67 1967 (GRU)
F-68 1968 (GRU)
Zalom 1970
Granitnick 1970
Zadatock 1985
Koritca 1965
Zima 1975
Zagar 1985

They are document copying cameras for KGB or GRU spies. Of course the KGB might have used Rubin.
Detlev
Go to Top of Page
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo
Brazil
1981 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  3:09:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As I know, the "scan cameras" were long known principles, but were developed by the Russians after the WWII in order to copy large amounts of conquered maps, drawings plans etc. from German factories in order to give to various people for further analysis and redevelopment. Soon it found new uses.
LP
Go to Top of Page

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  3:44:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would suspect that "RUBIN" was made for the KGB initially, and probably unmarked (except for serial numbers) units were used by them, but marked units were also sold to other agencies for non secretive use ... for example industrial purposes of copying documents.

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo
Brazil
1981 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  4:29:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello Bill!
I was not specifically saying about the Rubin but about its basis and system that were further miniaturized and made in the an several versions described by Detlev.
Regards
LP
Go to Top of Page

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  10:18:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Luiz,
I know what you are saying and I agree with you. Actually I was commenting on Aidas' comment:

"But I'm not discounting a possibility that initially Rubin was intended for something else ..."

and then saying that I think it was made for KGB first, and then used for other servics ... but I don't really know anything ... just guessing!

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page
BERRY alain
mermoz37
France
814 Posts
Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  11:08:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
by the way....which one can explain how the rubin device work???
why (in mine) the film run when I roll on documents ????

alain
Go to Top of Page
Detlev Vreisleben
Detlev
Germany
90 Posts
Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  3:33:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here you can see how it works: http://videos.howstuffworks.com/discovery/29549-spytek-rollover-camera-video.htm
H. Keith Melton explains the function. In his new book "Spycraft" he shows a picture of a CIA rollover-camera.
Go to Top of Page
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo
Brazil
1981 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jul 19 2009 :  4:11:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Now we have in our forum a full explanation of the "rollover" camera.
http://www.ussrphoto.com/Wiki/default.asp?ContentID=1230&ParentID=49&WikiCatID=51
LP
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google