Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Vladislav Kern
Vlad

USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  09:11:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello all,

I just bought a very strange camera, maybe anyone seen these before? Any info will be appreciated! Thanks!

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/1572009_fed2_816845_1.jpg

Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo
Brazil
1986 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  2:55:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is the first variation of this type I ever saw!
At first it seems very strange to me as it has a self timer. Uncommon to the first series. Another point to be observed is the position of the flash contact that denotes a production after 1958 . Accordng to the picture the rotating prism is greater than usual and internal to the cover hood. I know no soviet camera with such compensator unless those found on Zorki 5/6. Please note the shutter speeds progression for a better dating, In my opinion it is a modified after sales camera, done by a competent repairman.
From which country did you pick this marvel?
Regards LP
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  3:38:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interesting, thanks Luiz, I guess I can tell more once I got the camera in my hands - whether it's modified or now, I'll post close up images of that rangefinder window. It's from Ukraine...
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  3:56:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
here are some more images...

I don't know.. it does not look modified to me - they had to remake the prism, glass and everything?? But I've seen people do more skilled stuff too.. so yes hard to say...

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/fed2_816845_b.jpg

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/1572009_fedwindow.JPG

Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  4:00:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
man.. it resized the long image.. I'll post full size version when i get home later.
Go to Top of Page
Jacques M.
France
2587 Posts
Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  4:14:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Vlad!

Glad to know that you had it!
To tell the truth, I hesitated a long time before deciding... I wouldn't buy it.
Of course, if it had been one of the first 2a...
For me, it doesn't really make sense to have a Fed 2 with an experimental finder after several hundreds of thousands items. But I can be completely wrong: the job seems very fine...

Anyway, bravo!
Amitiés. Jacques.
Edit: not "...to have a Fed 2..." but ..."to make a Fed 2...". Sorry for my English, Vlad!

Edited by - Jacques M. on Jul 18 2009 03:11:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Aug 09 2009 :  12:12:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So I got this camera recently, sorry was a little busy to post anything, but I examined it very carefully and I unfortunately think that it's most likely a modification since there are some scratches all around that window that to me seems like it had some work done... even though it looks very professional and a cool piece to add to the collection I don't think it's an authentic variation. if anyone is interested I can post close up pictures of that rangefinder window, just let me know so you can judge by yourself.

Vlad
Go to Top of Page
Yuri Boguslavsky
fedka
USA
240 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Aug 09 2009 :  10:22:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit fedka's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This FED is way too new for type A. It must be a modification, though quite nice one. FED-2 is one of my favorites, but I do not like its tiny RF patch. I guess this modification addresses this exact deficiency.

So I curious - does it? Of this is simply cosmetics? Also, they had to fit a wedge lens behind that square window, I wonder how they did that.

Yuri
Go to Top of Page
dee * [ adopted ] dowling
dee
United Kingdom
114 Posts
Posted - Aug 09 2009 :  12:23:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I actually like modified cameras - someone I know picked up an early Kiev III with Kiev 4 top and meter - well executed - presumably bringing an old camera up to date was cheaper than buying new .
Go to Top of Page
Jacques M.
France
2587 Posts
Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  05:01:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hi Vlad!
Sorry for you but nevertheless this camera looks very fine!
I am very curious too to know if everything works correctly in the viewfinder/rangefinder. Could you tell us more, please?
A very interesting camera if it works.

Amitiés. Jacques.
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  4:55:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just spent some time looking through that viewfinder and comparing it to the one on the regular FED-2 model of the same variation that I have.. honestly I don't see much of the difference- yes the rangefinder spot is a bit bigger but very slightly... my guess is it was not made for improving the rangefinder but rather to fix it... maybe someday when I feel courageous I will take both these models apart to see what they actually did inside.. I'm afraid that if i take them apart I won't be able to put them back together .. Here's a more detailed picture of that rangefinder window:

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/1082009_IMG_4156.jpg

Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  4:56:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jacques - I does work fine by the way.
Go to Top of Page
Yuri Boguslavsky
fedka
USA
240 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  10:45:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit fedka's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It almost feels that they did this to make the camera look nicer, sexier. It was common in the USSR - to embellish things with decals, mods, etc. Whatever your skills or means.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google