Last Edited by Vlad on 8/24/2009 8:17:33 PM  
Located in
Still Cameras > Made for Russian Market

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
okynek
759 Posts
Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  9:34:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really, really cool!!!!!! I want one to

http://cgi.ebay.com/COCA-COLA-CAMERA-135_W0QQitemZ120461750099QQcmdZViewItemQQptZFilm_Cameras?hash=item1c0c146f53&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4236 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  9:52:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ha! Thanks!

Yea these are fairly common marketing ploys, this is the only Russian I've seen though... maybe an idea for the next USSRPhoto.com anniversary camera?

Vlad
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4236 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Aug 24 2009 :  9:58:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Found where you can make one.. but 3000 pieces minimum :)

http://detail.en.china.cn/provide/detail,1001812670.html

Vlad.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Aug 26 2009 :  10:34:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote

So it is a Chinese camera, not Russian? Maybe should be listed in a different category?

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4236 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Aug 26 2009 :  10:40:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't know.. the skin was designed in Russian for Russian beer, I guess it was it's a hybrid ... just like LC-A+. What category would you suggest?

Thanks,
Vlad
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4236 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Aug 26 2009 :  10:42:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
... and Alex Komarov and Viktor consider it "Russian" since they are featured in their collections.. also AFAIK the Zenit 510,520,610,620 (Skina copies) were made in China - are those Chinese as well?

Vlad
Go to Top of Page

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Aug 26 2009 :  11:25:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote

I would think that if a camera is made in China, then it is a Chinese camera and if it is made in Russia, then it is Russian. Many things are made in China with English labels for the American market, but they are not American.

Usually when something is made in a country, as your link to the factory or distributor shows, then it is from that country.

Just like the pre-Revolution cameras with different Cyrillic labels that were made in Germany ... they are German.

So, I would think that technically the Baltika-3 is a Chinese camera made for the Russian market. If they made a Coors version it would be Chinese for the American market ... not an American camera.

In this case, since China is a Communist country, I would guess that it would belong in the category "Non-Russian Communist Cameras"

Very nice camera!

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4236 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Aug 26 2009 :  11:37:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well that brings us to the recent concept of outsourcing... LOL... so what you are saying that if Ford has China manufacturing Ford Focus car - it is not an American car anymore? I still think it's considered American.. In this case we have Russian company Baltika outsourcing production of their cameras to China, would not it make it Russian camera in the same way of thinking? ... box and manual is in Russian, company distributing it is Russian company... I don't know - tough call... but it may belong somewhere between the Non-Russian Communist Cameras and Other Cameras.. maybe - Outsourced Russian Cameras? LOL. LC-A+ and the Skina Zenits (I think I'll point finger to Aidas for telling me that they were made in China ) would probably fall under that category as well...

For that matter I think one of the later Zenits is French with Motorola electronics

And thanks for compliment, yes it's a fun camera!

Cheers,
Vlad
Go to Top of Page

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Aug 27 2009 :  12:18:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote

So if I order 3000 of these "beer can" cameras with an American design on them, then they are American cameras?

So are the fake Leicas made from Zorki cameras German .... since they have German logos and German writing? Anyway, the Zorki is basically a German design!

I think we have to see these in terms of the WIKI where the purpose is to categorize Russian and Soviet cameras. The category "Other Cameras" is probably just to general and a catch-all category. Possibly there could be a category named "Made for the Russian Market", but then I don't know what else would fit there besides Baltika-3. Probably the best category might be "Imported - Retailed in Russia / USSR (pre-1929)" and just eliminate the "pre-1929" date?

In any case since the camera was not made in Russia or the Soviet Union and since it isn't a Russian design, I don't see how it is a Russian camera, no matter how cool it is!

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Aug 27 2009 :  12:43:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Or ... maybe we could start a category called "We Are Confused About This Camera" ;-)

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page
David Tomlinson
RCCCUK
United Kingdom
208 Posts
Posted - Aug 27 2009 :  03:14:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Bill. I think that there should be a catagory in the Wiki Catalog that covers Soviet (Russian) marketed cameras that were manufactured elsewhere. This catagory should also include the Skina Zenits if they were definately manufactured in China. I am not sure what the title of this catagory should be.

David

(http://www.rcccuk.com)
Go to Top of Page
BERRY alain
mermoz37
France
814 Posts
Posted - Aug 27 2009 :  09:11:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree whith Bill :"made for Russian market.
And there we can see , after all, Zenit 420 etc...made in Korea, China or elsewhere...
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4236 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Aug 27 2009 :  09:26:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well the case with Skina Zenits - they were designed at KMZ but produced elsewhere (I believe, I may be wrong)... I think most companies nowadays outsource their manufacturing so what are we going to do about that? Canon is a Japanese camera but a lot of them are made in China... I may agree on the can camera that it was in fact maybe designed as a camera in China and made for Russian market but Skina copies they were in fact designed at KMZ...

I'll make a new category "Made for Russian market" as Bill suggested first change I got and move this one there..

thanks for all your suggestions!
Vlad
Go to Top of Page
Jacques M.
France
2554 Posts
Posted - Aug 28 2009 :  06:52:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Mmmmm...
And what about the beer? Chinese, US or Russian?
A new category, perhaps?

Amitiés. Jacques.
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4236 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Aug 28 2009 :  09:00:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's a Russian beer, and a great beer too .. a little O/T - I gotta tell you though I tried this beer during this Paris visit called Kronenburg - I could not find it in U.S. - probably the best beer I've had! Another incentive for me to return to Bievres hehehe..

Cheers,
Vlad.
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4236 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Sep 02 2009 :  8:20:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
finally had a chance to make a new Wiki category - "Made for Russian Market". Put any cameras in there that are made elsewhere but retailed/for distribution in Russia.

Cheers,
Vlad
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google