Photo Gallery
 Famous Soviet Photographers in early 35mmcenturies
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Michl
7 Posts
Posted - Sep 04 2010 :  11:03:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since many years I use soviet Cameras now. My Favourites are Zorki-1/FED-1, FED-2, Zorki-3. This are all Leica Copies or Leica-based Cameras.

I know many Photographers that used the Leica in 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s. But I dont know any Photographers that used Zorki and FED (also Kiev) in this time. Would be nice, if anybody could tell me some famous soviet photographers from this time.

Greetings,

Michl

jed
France
391 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Sep 05 2010 :  06:24:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit jed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello Michel, Evgueni Khaldei had Zorkis I believe. Best, Jean
Go to Top of Page
Michl
7 Posts
Posted - Sep 05 2010 :  6:35:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank You!

I know, that Pablo Picasso had a FED-2:
http://www.matthewbull.net/2010/07/21/picasso-and-the-fed-2-b4/

And I read, that Alexander Michailowitsch Rodtschenko used a FED near his Leica. But I´m not sure, if it is true.

I think, many famous Photographers in soviet countries used foreign cameras like Leica or Contax for example, but i´m sure, many of them also used USSR-cameras. Doesnt anybody know more about this?

Greetings,

Michl
Go to Top of Page

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Sep 07 2010 :  9:48:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote

As a former professional photographer and a photographer in general for 45 years, my guess would be that photographers used the best equipment they could get and where it was made was of less interest than the quality of the photographs it produced. Most likely if a Russian photographer could get a Leica, they would be using it over a FED.

Also, probably many who had a Leica also used a FED if they had to, or for a second camera, etc. Same with Contax or KIEV, although in that case there is probably more closeness in quality and feel than between a FED and a Leica.

Dmitri Baltermants may have used a 35mm camera. He became close to Stalin, so maybe he had access to German cameras. I agree Michl, there seems to be very little information about equipment used by professionals in the Soviet Union.

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page
Nicolas
Gelios
USA
57 Posts
Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  07:34:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
According to Mark Grosset's monograph about Evgueni Khaldei, he used a Leica given by the TASS agency in 1941.
Go to Top of Page
Yuri Boguslavsky
fedka
USA
239 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Sep 05 2011 :  08:22:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit fedka's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Soviet photographers, especially those involved in the propaganda machine (press, photojournalism, etc) had access to the best photo equipment of their time. That included Leica, Contax, and larger cameras. This was true before the war and all the way to the end of the USSR. Professionals used Nikon SLRs when we, simple people, used Zenit-E;-).

A side word about Leicas.

There is a famous wartime 'song of wartime corespondents' (journalists), also known as 'С "лейкой" и блокнотом' - with a Leica and a notepad. I actually learned the word 'Leica' from this song.

The composer, M. Blanter, is the same who wrote 'Katyusha'.

You can listen the song here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL3n_hnl-44&feature=related

Second line starts - "s leikoi i bloknotom".

I also found this comic performance of the song (could not resist)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1KzYFI5YrQ&feature=related

Go to Top of Page
Bela Aden
bela374
United Kingdom
1 Posts
Posted - Jun 22 2013 :  06:33:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear probably many who had a Leica also used a FED if they had to, or for a second camera, etc. Same with Contax or KIEV, although in that case there is probably more closeness in quality and feel than between a FED and a Leica.

[url=www.facebook.com/usman374]| Usman | Malik | The | Great |[/url]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google