Located in
Still Cameras > GOMZ / LOMO / VOOMP - Other

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo

Brazil
1972 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Nov 25 2007 :  07:53:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Post war Smena really was an undeniable landmark in world camera construction. "The Change" or "The New Breed" was one of the happiest designs and was the basis of several new ideas and developments. No other name would be so properly chosen.
The First generation, (Original 1953 Smena, Smena M Smena 2 Smena 2M Smena 3 and Smena 4) had the greatest influence. It made birth to the first popular and affordable stereo cameras and up to “Science et Vie”. a French magazine of the 1960 published a home made transformation of current Smenas in Stereo Smenas. The most interesting story was the transformation and use of such camera by David Kravshov and Ilich Semionov who developed and founded the Stereo and Vario Photography in Siberia. See http://www.photohistory.ru/Vario-stereo.html

Another attempt to Smena cameras was unique. - In conjunction with "Sport" movie camera, built in a single unit, made a photo and a movie camera. - The same idea used today by several digital compacts that takes pictures and runs small movies, but that idea, was effectively done by LOMO more than 40 years ago! - This is the Yanus!

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Nov 25 2007 :  12:03:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think the correct translation for this cameras name into English would be "Janus" which means a head with two faces... one looking in either direction.

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page
okynek
759 Posts
Posted - Nov 25 2007 :  2:24:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! Now name starting to make sense to me! Thanks!
From big Wiki:
"Though he was usually depicted with two faces looking in opposite directions (Janus Geminus (twin Janus) or Bifrons), in some places he was Janus Quadrifrons (the four-faced).
His two faces (originally, one was always bearded, one clean-shaven; later both bearded) originally represented the sun and the moon, and he was usually shown with a key. The two-faced image of Janus was often depicted on coins of the Roman Republic. January is named after him, depicting the new year period of looking back at the previous year, and looking forward to the coming year."
more:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janus_(mythology)

BTW what is Viliya mians?
Go to Top of Page
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo
Brazil
1972 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Nov 25 2007 :  3:33:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
1) Very good correction for the translated name, but we are here to discuss cameras not Mytology.
2) Vilia or Viliya as it would correctly transwriten, is the name of a river in Belarus (Bielo-Russia?) that also gives name to a geographic region. There stays one of BelOMO factories the "Zenit Vilieika Zavod" which produced Vilia, Siluet, Orion, Elikon and Zenit also under Albar and Vizit names
Go to Top of Page
Zoom
596 Posts
Posted - Nov 25 2007 :  3:46:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by okynek

BTW what is Viliya mians?

It is simple to find this information:
http://www.zenitcamera.com/archive/history/marks.html#vilia
And you may ask Wiki too... ;)
Go to Top of Page
Zoom
596 Posts
Posted - Nov 25 2007 :  4:02:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Luiz Paracampo

The First generation, (Original 1953 Smena, Smena M Smena 2 Smena 2M Smena 3 and Smena 4) had the greatest influence.

Btw, something enigmatic:
http://www.zenitcamera.com/archive/history/our-tasks-in-1951.html
("In the expired year a new models of cameras "Zorki-3" and "Smena" were developed.") Year was 1950...
Go to Top of Page
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo
Brazil
1972 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Nov 25 2007 :  4:04:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Zoom Dimitri
Very good page explaining the name origins. I suggest a translation to be put in the same access. If you want, we can do this in the next days.
Go to Top of Page
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo
Brazil
1972 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Nov 25 2007 :  4:12:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Zoom
Also very interesting article. There says -- Now working on preparation Rodina ..... A fasxinating camera that we litlle know about.
Go to Top of Page
Zoom
596 Posts
Posted - Nov 26 2007 :  09:01:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

There says -- Now working on preparation Rodina ..... A fasxinating camera that we litlle know about.

J.L. Princelle know. As I understand, he have all documentation about this camera.
Go to Top of Page
Zoom
596 Posts
Posted - Nov 26 2007 :  09:02:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I suggest a translation to be put in the same access.

What is "the same access"?
Go to Top of Page
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo
Brazil
1972 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Nov 26 2007 :  8:32:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
together the same page address
Go to Top of Page
Zoom
596 Posts
Posted - Nov 27 2007 :  08:00:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

together the same page address

A misunderstood answer again :(
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Nov 27 2007 :  2:04:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Zoom,

Luiz is offering to translate it into English and place it on the same webpage.

Vlad.
Go to Top of Page
Zoom
596 Posts
Posted - Nov 27 2007 :  4:34:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vlad

Luiz is offering to translate it into English and place it on the same webpage.

In the http://www.zenitcamera.com/archive/history/marks.html ?
But it is impossible... At first, this is Russian-language page. So, it must be another URL (.../marks-eng.html).
At second, what to do to this site Webmaster if Russian page content will change?
Go to Top of Page
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo
Brazil
1972 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Nov 28 2007 :  9:57:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Zoom

But it is impossible... At first, this is Russian-language page. So, it must be another URL (.../marks-eng.html).
At second, what to do to this site Webmaster if Russian page content will change?--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My dear Zoom

Explain us, how this page,
http://www.zenitcamera.com/articles/cameras/schneider-russians-eng.html
being a sub title of ARTICLES becomes STAT'I when you click ARTICLES and there, I cannot see any references about this article. Also I did not see ways to access it in English.
regards LP
Go to Top of Page
Zoom
596 Posts
Posted - Nov 29 2007 :  08:47:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

...I cannot see any references about this article.

The link to the Jason article is from this page, for example:
http://www.zenitcamera.com/articles/cameras/up-to-world-class-models.html

The depths of this site are developed for researchers, instead of for common visitors to which need to receive the quick-quick answers to their simple questions. ;)

quote:

Also I did not see ways to access it in English.

Simple: http://www.zenitcamera.com/index-eng.html
But this site is in Russian language. There is no English (nor German, French, etc.) version of this site, except some indexes, pages and Manuals.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google