Jupiter-3 on the M Monochrom
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Brian
USA
67 Posts
Posted - Dec 29 2012 :  10:41:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New camera, first Monochrome Digital camera made in 12 years. And the first new Monochrome Digital Camera that I have bought in 20 years. Told that to Josh of Dale Photo when I bought the camera.

First lens on the new camera HAD to be my favorite Jupiter-3, from 1950.
At F1.5, Red Filter

At F4

Jacques M.
France
2586 Posts
Posted - Dec 29 2012 :  11:07:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Brian!

I don't know what a monochrom digital camera is (or just a faint idea) but the 1950 Jupiter... Zeiss glasses, probably?
Astonishing!

Jacques.
Go to Top of Page
Brian
USA
67 Posts
Posted - Dec 29 2012 :  4:02:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Jupiter-3: Zeiss Glass, and a Zeiss SN on the rear fixture. This lens looks like it had never been used: the focal length was wrong, and it was held into the Contax mount with sewing thread. There was no shim, and it front-focused terribly. I set the focal length for the Leica, and moved it into a Leica mount. Focus is perfect at f1.5 across the entire range.

Go to Top of Page
Stephan Van den Zegel
stephanvdz
Belgium
176 Posts
Posted - Dec 30 2012 :  3:32:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow... i like those BW, but the M monochrome is out of reach for me... sadly

Stephan
Go to Top of Page
Brian
USA
67 Posts
Posted - Jan 02 2013 :  6:40:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's an expensive camera, no doubt. I let the camera collection pay for this one, about half of it from selling lenses accumulated before the age of digital.
Go to Top of Page

Kris Lockyear
womble
United Kingdom
70 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 03 2013 :  4:09:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit womble's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lovely results from that combination. I'd be tempted by the Monochrom if I ever win the lottery...!

K.
Go to Top of Page
Brian
USA
67 Posts
Posted - Mar 17 2013 :  2:48:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I took three Sonnars to the Marine Museum in Quantico, Virginia: A 1936 Carl Zeiss Jena 5cm F1.5 (Factory coated, converted to Leica mount), an early Nikkor-SC 5cm F1.4, and the 1950 Jupiter-3.

All shots wide-open, on the M Monochrom.

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/876628771/albums/jupiter-3-1936-sonnar-nikkor-5cm-f1-4

To my eyes- the 1950 Jupiter-3 has higher contrast, sharper, and less field curvature. The lens was originally in Contax/Kiev mount but did not focus correctly, and the mount prevented it from being properly shimmed. I moved it to a Leica thread mount. This one is special: I changed the position of the rear triplet four times to minimize field curvature, changing the main shim each time. I'm going to experiment with a second J-3 for this.

This is my favorite lens on the new camera.

Edited by - Brian on Mar 17 2013 2:50:04 PM
Go to Top of Page
Jacques M.
France
2586 Posts
Posted - Mar 18 2013 :  05:06:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thanks for this comparison, Brian.
Finally, these lenses seem very close: all is probably more a question of shim and regulation of the body than a problem of quality, no?

A pity that the prices of the Jup 3 keep on increasing...

Amitiés. Jacques.
Go to Top of Page
Brian
USA
67 Posts
Posted - Mar 19 2013 :  7:22:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have two J-3's on the way in, one will be used to convert a Sonnar to Leica mount "on request".

The other is going to get a perfect-glass 1956 KMZ optics module in it. I've been buying J-3's with broken filter rings, scratched glass, etc- and "upgrading" them. Days of $50 J-3's are over, but they are getting the respect that they deserve.
Go to Top of Page

Ulrich W.
uwittehh
Germany
825 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Mar 21 2013 :  5:21:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit uwittehh's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Brian,

the shots are great! They make fun to use my "new" J-3 from 1951 which is originally a coatet 1943 Sonnar :-)

Ulrich

http://fotos.cconin.de
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google