Selenium cells
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Fredstarter
Germany
12 Posts
Posted - Feb 15 2013 :  09:56:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems to me that anything can be bought for money on this earth except new/working selenium cells. In England, they build new steam locomotives from point zero on. But nobody is able to make a selenium cell, including Chinese people. Strange.
Ralph J
USA
15 Posts
Posted - Feb 15 2013 :  4:38:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning, Fred;

While I am not sure about anyone in Germany, I can say that there are people here in the USA, and I believe that there is still a company in London, England, who do still work on Selenium Cell light meters, and they might be able to help you.

The one here in the United States is:

Quality Light Metric Company,
7095 Hollywood Blvd, Suite 550,
Los Angeles, California 90028.

Their telephone number is USA Area code (323), telephone number 467-2265. I have been told that from outside the United States, dialing 01-323-467-2265 most likely will work.

I am sorry, but they do not have a web site. Also, I have not been able to find an e-mail address for them.

I do not right now recall who the people in London were who also worked on Selenium Cell light meters. I think that it may be possible to find them by looking at the web site

www.westonmeter.org.uk/

At least those people are the most likely to know of anyone in Europe who still works on them. I have a vague memory of a company in England named "Megatron," but I am not sure.

Enjoy;

Ralph
Latte Land, Washington, USA

Go to Top of Page
Fredstarter
Germany
12 Posts
Posted - Feb 16 2013 :  2:09:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Ralph, thank you so much for having answered with this very helpful hint! Besides: Fredstarter is only my nickname, my real first name is:
Ralf! All the best to you and kindest regards!
Go to Top of Page
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo
Brazil
1959 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Feb 16 2013 :  4:37:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I believe the British company calls around 100 doll each cell
Is it a good value?
LP
Go to Top of Page
Ralph J
USA
15 Posts
Posted - Feb 19 2013 :  2:53:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning, Ralf;

Glad that it is useful information. And, if you have noticed the address, Quality Light Metric is the place where the Hollywood movie directors and cinematographers go to have their light meters checked, repaired, and recalibrated.

While I cannot comment on the prices that may be found in England; I do know that a nominal rebuild and recalibration of a Weston Master V light meter through Quality Light Metric is between $90 and $100 USD.

And, my understanding of the failure mode of a Selenium Cell is that it is mainly an effect of moisture, most commonly just absorbed from the atmosphere over time. The main problem seems to be the edge seal around the cell. If you can keep them dry, they seem to go for a very long time.

And, while I am a little embarrassed with my confusion about your name, I am also very pleased to see that it is similar. Thank you.

Enjoy;

Ralph
Latte Land, Washington
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google