Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Collectors and Users Open Forum
 FED-1 rare hard case with engraved plate???
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Paolo Saccheri
paolosaccheri

Italy
3 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jun 16 2013 :  06:07:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit paolosaccheri's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello
I have a FED leather case that has an engraved plate.

Do you know for which reason, for who, or for what kind of particular edition FED-1 camera this special case was produced?
Can you also give me the correct translation?

Since I can't find any similar plate on FED cases on the internet I guess it should be rare.

Thank you!
Paolo

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/1662013_FED 1 case plate.JPG

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/1662013_FED 1 case.JPG

Martti Muda
fotomuda
Estonia
155 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jun 16 2013 :  08:50:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit fotomuda's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This plate is not original!
But it is quite impressive, something like this:
"Zverev K.P,
For a successful fight against crime from SSSR Attorney General, 1-January 1950"

Of course, silver plate!
Go to Top of Page
Jim Byrd
JimmyB
USA
27 Posts
Posted - Jun 16 2013 :  12:57:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is cool. I wonder if the camera which came with the case also was engraved.

JimmyB
Go to Top of Page
Paolo Saccheri
paolosaccheri
Italy
3 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jun 16 2013 :  2:50:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit paolosaccheri's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Martti,
thank you for the translation, but how do you say it is not original? I have seen on the interet somewhere another similar case with a different plate and case front imprint.
I read around that FED had many fakes. Why all this? Only for collectors?

Jimmy,
I wish I also had that camera...!
Go to Top of Page
Jim Byrd
JimmyB
USA
27 Posts
Posted - Jun 16 2013 :  3:50:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm probably the least knowledgeable here, but it is possible this plate was asked for and added at the factory. Or the camera was taken to someone who could do such a thing after it was purchased. If it was done at the factory it was a special case-not something which was part of regular production I would think. We often get requests for boots with special leather o colors or embroidery but these boots are not usually part of our lists.
The case would not be considered original in the sense there was no productions runs of cases with plates.
As far as fake Feds, it is not that hard to take an 'ordinary' Fed and with a little engraving turn it into a rare version. But others here could tell you more about that.
I think the case is special in a historical sense. I would bet the camera was also engraved.

JimmyB
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4251 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jun 16 2013 :  8:06:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It was very common for people in USSR to add engravings to the gifts, cameras were very popular for that purpose. I don't see a reason this being fake unless some seller decided to add value to the camera by adding engraving plate themselves. I highly doubt it though because the plate has enough patina that it looks authentic to the period. I'm pretty sure this was not done at a factory but rather at an engraving shop by someone, sometimes even by someone at home since a quite a few people kept portable engraving machines at home for hobbies.

What Martti probably meant by "not original" is that it was added after the fact to personalize it.

Cheers,
Vlad.
Go to Top of Page
Paolo Saccheri
paolosaccheri
Italy
3 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jun 17 2013 :  03:04:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit paolosaccheri's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Vlad,
thank you for your comment.
I agree with you it makes sense to me what you say. I am happy to know all this and now what I wish to discover who Mr Zverev K.P. was. May be it was not a secret since as I can understand he worked for justice department. And as a Government Man there could probably be some lists where to find this info. I would also like to know from which city he was from.
A kind of patological curiosity ;))))

Do you know any place where this research can be done? (I wish I could read cirillic!) or any way where to look for or ask?

thank you again.
Paolo
Go to Top of Page
Zoom
596 Posts
Posted - Jun 17 2013 :  06:54:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paolosaccheri

And as a Government Man...

All "Government Men" has an official position or a title. But we see there is nothing... Only "Звереву К.П.", without "товарищу" (to comrade), nor "to Counsellor of Justice", nor something else...
This is the authentic to the period, but strange engraving...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google