FED-2 no 000004
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
zcetrt
45 Posts
Posted - Nov 14 2014 :  09:33:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi to all.

I've been reading this great forum for a long time, but I haven't posted here until today.

I recently acquired very early FED-2 with a serial number 000004 and stamped rangefinder window. Based on Aidas' page I believe this particular FED-2 is a new type since it has (compared to PE0350) a different rewind knob, different arrow engraved at the shutter speed selector and slide switch on the back side for the film rewind release. I have only late FED-2s with rounded rangefinder window to compare it to so I don't know if there are any internal differences compared to known preseries models.

Unfortunately it doesn't work - shutter release button is stuck - and previous owner tried to repair it and lost some screws. There is also a "focusing" knob missing on the lens.

I would like to hear your general thoughts on this particular camera and recommendation, where to get the missing parts and if replace them at all. Are the screws on the accessory shoe flat headed? I have little to none doubts that the camera is real since it was not sold by a dealer, but I would like to hear your thoughts on that as well since you are much more experienced than I am. Do you think I should get it fixed or leave it as it is?

Thank you for your time and have a nice day,

Ziga.

Jacques M.
France
2554 Posts
Posted - Nov 14 2014 :  09:53:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello!

Congratulations! No doubt for me: it's a genuine very early Fed 2!
You have just the same on Princelle's book: a prototype of 1950 (F110).

It has a particularity: the low cover, compared with the following Fed 2 with a higher one. BTW, what is the rear button for? It does not exist on the other Fed 2. A difference between the Princelle's and yours; the two main buttons are higher on yours and could not be original.

About repair or not, it's a personal question. I should let it as it is, but perhaps I would look for the missing screws.

Thanks to have showed such a rare camera!

Amitiés. Jacques.

Edited by - Jacques M. on Nov 14 2014 09:58:04 AM
Go to Top of Page
zcetrt
45 Posts
Posted - Nov 14 2014 :  09:57:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you. I will check the book. The button on the back is a film release for film rewinding. On later FED-s there is a shaft located around the shutter release button with the same functionality.
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4236 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Nov 14 2014 :  3:55:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is very nice find, congratulations, Ziga! I've never actually seen a stamped square window and this kind of button!

Cheers,
Vlad.
Go to Top of Page
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo
Brazil
1959 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Nov 15 2014 :  11:10:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ziga
Congratulations in gettting such a rare model.
With years of experience ,I never saw such a camera.
The rewind system is a completely surprise for me.
The screws are all correct; may be the length should be excessive in the shoe.
The lever lock is the same of contemporaries FED1 and subsequente FED2, so you need only to obtain another lens and substitute the spring, screw and nut, or give them to a competente leathe man to do them. the spring can be obtained from a disposable empty gas lighter.
The firing knob is stuck. Weather the bottom laminar spring is not broken, it will be necessary only to press the button and turn it clock-wise with your thumb. It happens because early câmeras had "T" opition by buttton locking.
The overall repair is easy and follows the general rules of subsequente FED2.
Good luck
LP
Go to Top of Page
zcetrt
45 Posts
Posted - Nov 28 2014 :  06:59:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jacques, I almost missed your edited post. You are right, the image in Princelle has lower knobs. But in the illustrated instruction book the knobs are already higher. On the book cover photo it is also visible that there is a hinge around shutter release for film rewind release.

Additionally it seems to me the rangefinder window in Princelle's book is higher (closer to a square, while mine is rectangular). Maybe the first specimens differ in many details. I hope my parts are original and the rangefinder window shape gives me additional hope. But thank you for spotting this!

I wonder if I should add my camera to the Fed 2 Preseries 1952-1954 section or create a new entry in your Wiki catalog. I will appreciate suggestions from you, more experienced form members.
Go to Top of Page
Jacques M.
France
2554 Posts
Posted - Nov 28 2014 :  07:46:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hello!

I think you should add a special entry to the wiki.
You even could enter it as a prototype, with this very curious switch on the back side...

Have you looked for screws?

Amitiés. Jacques.

Go to Top of Page
zcetrt
45 Posts
Posted - Nov 28 2014 :  08:57:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have plan to check if the FED 1 screws are for the accessory shoe, but I don't have a FED-1 camera yet. Interestingly - the diopter adjustment knob should also be screwed to the camera - later Fed-2 I have doesn't use screws there. This screws are also missing and I have no reference for them...

Go to Top of Page
Jacques M.
France
2554 Posts
Posted - Nov 28 2014 :  09:28:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Have you tried the screws of your later Fed 2 on the accessory shoe of your Fed 2 s/n 000004 ?
Go to Top of Page
zcetrt
45 Posts
Posted - Nov 28 2014 :  2:53:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, they are currently holding the shoe but the screws are too long. The shoe is lower (recessed) on the FED 000004 than on later FED-2.
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4236 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Nov 28 2014 :  3:08:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ziga, I would love to have this in the wiki catalog, if you're having trouble adding it, let me know I'll do it.

Thanks,
Vlad.
Go to Top of Page
Lenny
496 Posts
Posted - Nov 30 2014 :  09:56:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zcetrt

Yes, they are currently holding the shoe but the screws are too long. The shoe is lower (recessed) on the FED 000004 than on later FED-2.

Thank you very much Ziga for posting all these photos. A photo without the backdoor would be interesting too to see the inside technic even it might not be different.

Did you try to turn the shutter-knob as Luiz suggested? Maybe there is nothing wrong.

It seems the top where the shoe sits is lower on early Fed-2 till up to #62000. It can be seen well on fotoua.com. So shoe-screws should be taken from an early Fed-2 then either.

I would not change many things on this prototype unless I'm sure some parts are not original.

The rewind-knob has this bolt on the top, same as on Fed-1, Zorki-1 and Zorki-2. It would be interesting to know if this rewind-knob is the original one. It is the knob of that time for sure but later Fed-2 doesn't have the bolt on top. Interesting would be the complete hights of the cam from baseplate till the top of the knobs at the rewind-side and wind-side. There should not be a big difference originally I guess. Maybe on your photos the rewind-knob isn't in the lowest position. On a much later PE0370 it's 78.5mm at the rewind-side and 78mm at the wind-side, the hight at the speed-dial is even lower than that.

Great Fed-2, enjoy to own this early prototype.
Go to Top of Page
zcetrt
45 Posts
Posted - Sep 15 2015 :  3:27:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again to all. It's been a while but I just took the FED-2 into my hands and realized what's wrong with the shutter knob. The screw under the flat spring wasn't original and didn't allow spring to press on the two shafts to allow shutter button to lift and to cock the shutter. After screw replacement the camera fires.

Previous owner told me he tried to repair the camera and he lost some screws but he really shouldn't dig into the camera... He obviously didn't know what he was doing and what was in his possession.

Here are some photos of the bottom with removed plate and one photo showing the rangefinder cam which I find a bit unusual as well. Please, share your thoughts with me.'

Edited by - zcetrt on Sep 15 2015 3:30:44 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google