Smena/Vizit
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Andres
2 Posts
Posted - Jan 03 2015 :  1:13:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everybody

I cant find any information about this camera.
http://vanadkaamerad.web-album.org/photo/1053196,kaamerad

(Camera is mine, photo not mine)

Looks like Smena ( 6 ), but has "Vizit" there on logo.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Edited by - Andres on Jan 03 2015 1:14:37 PM

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 03 2015 :  1:20:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Andres,

this is very interesting! I know only of a BelOMO Vizit which is a Zenit rebrand.. Never even heard of GOMZ/LOMO variation!

http://ussrphoto.com/Wiki/default.asp?WikiCatID=73&ParentID=1&ContentID=618&Item=Vizit

is the nameplate on this camera metal? I've seen quite a few where eBay sellers replaced the nameplate with something else just to sell it as a "different" Smena as these nameplates very often fall off with age because glue dries out...

Best regards,
Vlad.
Go to Top of Page
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo
Brazil
1981 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 03 2015 :  3:19:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The intriguing name Visit Always hurted me.
Seeing the translation to Portuguese this word could be translanted as Visita or Visite and has the following mean according to the sentence:

Visit, Visitor, Visitation (from sobrenatural), Visitation (from sobrenatural), Visitant ,Ghost, Gest, Arrival, Call, Caller, Survey.

What do they really want to say?

I believe it is a fake plate
LP
Go to Top of Page

Alexander K.
AlexanderK
Germany
584 Posts
Posted - Jan 03 2015 :  3:45:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Luiz Paracampo

Seeing the translation to Portuguese this word could be translanted as Visita or Visite and has the following mean according to the sentence:

Visit, Visitor, Visitation (from sobrenatural), Visitation (from sobrenatural), Visitant ,Ghost, Gest, Arrival, Call, Caller, Survey.

Luiz,
don't worry, in Russian the word "Визит" has only one meaning. It is "visit"

It seems not to be original. The only known rebrandings of Smena were Global and Revue.
I have one Vilia camera with the name Universal. It is also a fake. However I don't really understand why is it necessary to fake such cameras as Smena or Vilia.

Regards, Alexander
Go to Top of Page
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo
Brazil
1981 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 03 2015 :  4:06:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
still a very strange name for a camera
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 03 2015 :  6:44:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello dear Alexander and Luiz,

I am also inclined to believe it may be aftermarket modification but I sent it to our LOMO expert Aidas to see what he has to say about it.

Alexander, there is also Cosmic 35 version of Smena-8. Actually the only one that has export names is Smena-8, if it is by some odd chance is an original name plate, this is probably Smena-8 then..

I also haven't seen a font type like that on any Smena cameras...

Cheers,
Vlad.
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 03 2015 :  6:46:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Alexander, I would love to see the picture of that Vilia you're talking about!

Cheers,
Vlad.
Go to Top of Page

Juhani Halmeenmaki
cedricfan
Finland
1013 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 04 2015 :  02:17:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit cedricfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VladAlexander, there is also Cosmic 35 version of Smena-8. Actually the only one that has export names is Smena-8, if it is by some odd chance is an original name plate, this is probably Smena-8 then..

A bit more than only "8" were rebadged:
Symbol also exists as Cosmic & Revue and Panorama. 8M as Cosmic. But these were all export. And this "Visit" is cyrillic = domestic market.

Maybe the name change was done to hide the fact that it is only a Smena? And Visit as it is not a camera name.

And if we talk about USSR camera names they are highly poetic and pompous. Zorki, Zenit and Almaz for example. In west names like this were used to hide bad products...

Best regards,
Juhani
Go to Top of Page
Lenny
496 Posts
Posted - Jan 04 2015 :  04:03:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cedricfan

A bit more than only "8"

Good day Juhani,
I really wonder how many Smenas you have. Which one do you like most? Maybe you can give the rest of us without Smenas a hint which is a must have Smena. I wonder how their shutter works too.
Go to Top of Page

Alexander K.
AlexanderK
Germany
584 Posts
Posted - Jan 04 2015 :  04:38:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny

Maybe you can give the rest of us without Smenas a hint which is a must have Smena.

Lenny,
there is no "must have" Smena, but there are some "not more possible to find" Smenas, such as Smena-12 or Smena-14.
I have about 35 different Smenas in my collection and almost all of them were found on Ebay or camera fairs for 5,- till 15,- Euros.
To find any common Smena nowadays is not a problem.

Juhani,
so far as I know, the was no any Smena with the name "Panorama". If you have one, I would ask you to show it here please. It seems for me to be a "sister" of Smena-Visit

Regards, Alexander
Go to Top of Page
Lenny
496 Posts
Posted - Jan 04 2015 :  05:42:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AlexanderK

so far as I know, the was no any Smena with the name "Panorama".

Alexander,
there is a "Panorama" on fotoua within the types of "Smena-Symbol".
Go to Top of Page
Lenny
496 Posts
Posted - Jan 04 2015 :  06:15:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once I bought a set of two cameras and I told the russian seller to keep the Smena because I wanted to save the tax :)
Was it a mistake?

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/412015_Smena and Zorki-2C.JPG

Go to Top of Page

Alexander K.
AlexanderK
Germany
584 Posts
Posted - Jan 04 2015 :  06:41:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, Lenny,
was my mistake. I have found it also on the Aidas web site. I have learned something new .
About the other two cameras: how much did you need to pay for them? The tax is normaly about 20%. These two cameras you can find also in European Ebay (German or UK), but the price could be some 15% higher as by russian sellers. So you must deside yourself.
Such Smena costs in Germany about 15,- Euro and Zorki-2C about 50,- Euro.

Regards, Alexander

Edited by - AlexanderK on Jan 04 2015 06:42:48 AM
Go to Top of Page
Lenny
496 Posts
Posted - Jan 04 2015 :  07:02:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

About the other two cameras: how much did you need to pay for them? The tax is normaly about 20%. These two cameras you can find also in European Ebay (German or UK), but the price could be some 15% higher as by russian sellers. Such Smena costs in Germany about 15,- Euro and Zorki-2C about 50,- Euro.

At a low price there is no tax, but once I pass the free-tax-zone I have to pay the tax for all. Had some trouble with the customs office in the past and it's quite a hassle.
The Zorki-2C is great. Before I would buy 3 Smenas I would buy every other 2C.
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 04 2015 :  10:38:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

A bit more than only "8" were rebadged:
Symbol also exists as Cosmic & Revue and Panorama. 8M as Cosmic. But these were all export. And this "Visit" is cyrillic = domestic market.

Juhani, I was just talking about Smena 5 to 9 body types. The only one rebadged was 8

Cheers,
Vlad
Go to Top of Page

Juhani Halmeenmaki
cedricfan
Finland
1013 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 04 2015 :  10:46:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit cedricfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Maybe you can give the rest of us without Smenas a hint which is a must have Smena.

Lenny,
there is no "must have" Smena, but there are some "not more possible to find" Smenas, such as Smena-12 or Smena-14.
I have about 35 different Smenas in my collection and almost all of them were found on Ebay or camera fairs for 5,- till 15,- Euros.
To find any common Smena nowadays is not a problem.

Very true. Except that finding anything else than the very most common types at flea markets here in Finland or in our southern neighbor Estonia is now impossible. So finding any new types is very frustrating search for me, when I have already so many (60-70 cameras).

Favorite one? I would say SL or 19. But I have never taken a single shot with a Smena!

Best regards,
Juhani
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 04 2015 :  11:28:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Very true. Except that finding anything else than the very most common types at flea markets here in Finland or in our southern neighbor Estonia is now impossible. So finding any new types is very frustrating search for me, when I have already so many (60-70 cameras).

Oh I feel so bad for you being in Europe, Juhani.... Try finding any Russian cameras in USA markets... absolutely nothing.. I ONLY have to use eBay or my personal connections... haha

Cheers,
Vlad
Go to Top of Page
Lenny
496 Posts
Posted - Jan 04 2015 :  12:02:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vlad

Try finding any Russian cameras in USA markets... absolutely nothing.. I ONLY have to use eBay or my personal connections... haha

I think there is no better country in eBay to get a cheap russian camera than eBay in USA. The high shipping fees from USA won't give Europeans a chance to compete.

I thought I had a connection to Ukraine too, but once Dmitry found out that I was in love with his camera he more than doubled his price. Well, my addiction is not that severe. Now Dmitry still has his camera for sale

Edited by - Lenny on Jan 04 2015 12:07:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 05 2015 :  08:59:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lenny, true and not true.. there is a lot less rare camera selection here in USA compared to what you can find privately in Europe, but if they do turn up they are indeed cheaper..

Back to the topic - Aidas had replied to me, this is a modern modification of the camera or what you guys like to call a "fake". Here are two more that are from the same series (left and right), Cosmic 35 is original.

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/512015_SmenaX3.JPG

Cheers,
Vlad.

Go to Top of Page
okynek
759 Posts
Posted - Jan 05 2015 :  11:05:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Collectors be aware!!!!
It took me about 20 minutes to "remake" missing faceplate for this Smena 5 camera:

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/512015_DSCF2138.JPG

I did this just for fan. But having time, skills, and intent it show how easy to came up with "new" variation for the camera.

Go to Top of Page
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo
Brazil
1981 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 05 2015 :  3:16:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interesting Leninetz and Tovarich
But Artek seems that the top is recoverd with celluloid sheet over the original grey piece.
Regards
LP
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 05 2015 :  3:21:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Okynek, I have the same Smena-5 with mixed gray top, I think it's actually a no-name presieres and I don't think I've actually seen one that had a name plate..

Cheers,
Vlad
Go to Top of Page
okynek
759 Posts
Posted - Jan 05 2015 :  4:17:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vlad it very interesting information. I read somewhere that sticky glue on the early Smena-5 nameplates was so bad that many cameras loose nameplate during shipping from LOMO assembly plant to the store, and rest of the cameras become nameless before they finish first roll of film. Author insisted that it harder to find Smena 5 with original nameplate then without.
I have later Smena 5 with original nameplate what seems to be glue pretty good to the camera.

Luiz to make Artek nameplate I was using Windows Paint and then printed it on sticky paper with laser printer. Very easy. I could order professionally made nameplate from small local locksmith shop for less then $20US.
I just want to point how easy with today computers change nameplate on the cameras like Smena.
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 05 2015 :  4:19:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That is very possible that all preseries had name plates fall off from bad glue right away.. it is the first version of this type of camera body.. so probably your theory rings more true...
Go to Top of Page
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo
Brazil
1981 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 05 2015 :  4:42:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Instead of putting a new nameplate in an old cāmera
Why not to put a new cāmera ina na old name plate!
That is the Challenge!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Aidas Pikiotas
AidasCams
Lithuania
973 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 06 2015 :  01:46:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit AidasCams's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vlad

That is very possible that all preseries had name plates fall off from bad glue right away.. it is the first version of this type of camera body.. so probably your theory rings more true...

Hi guys!

I can't keep silence, when my beloved SMENA is on Topic Okynek is right - all the productional Smenas came with glued nameplates (the only exception is prototype camera, see picture below)

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/612015_Smena-5_indentification_2.jpg

Best regards,
Aidas
Go to Top of Page

Aidas Pikiotas
AidasCams
Lithuania
973 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 06 2015 :  01:53:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit AidasCams's Homepage  Reply with Quote

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/612015_Smena-5_indentification_3.jpg

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/612015_Smena-5_indentification_4.jpg

Go to Top of Page

Juhani Halmeenmaki
cedricfan
Finland
1013 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 06 2015 :  02:00:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit cedricfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interesting, as even I have a "nameless" Smena-5. Always thought that it was modified by someone to hide that it is the most cheapest one, but if glue was bad, then it is not the reason.

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/612015_DSCF1627c.JPG

The serial is 064267 and the nameplate area is filled with a red resin-type plastic

And I still miss the "multicoloured" Smena-5 so if anyone has a spare one please let me know

Best regards,
Juhani

Edited by - cedricfan on Jan 06 2015 02:02:32 AM
Go to Top of Page
Lenny
496 Posts
Posted - Jan 06 2015 :  04:47:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sad they had a metal body only for a prototype. But the hands won't get so cold with a plastic body.

When did they stop to sell Smenas with leather-case? The leather-case on the picture above seems to be good quality.

Go to Top of Page

Juhani Halmeenmaki
cedricfan
Finland
1013 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 06 2015 :  05:12:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit cedricfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The "5" was a stripped down low cost version. No case, strap directly on body lugs. Inverted lens hood gave some protection. And this Smena had a lens cap

Best regards,
Juhani

Edited by - cedricfan on Jan 06 2015 05:12:33 AM
Go to Top of Page
Lenny
496 Posts
Posted - Jan 06 2015 :  05:28:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just learnt on Aidas' website that they had a bakelite body first and with Smena-5 they changed to thermoplastic. How is the bakelite condition after over 50 years?
Go to Top of Page
Lenny
496 Posts
Posted - Feb 14 2015 :  06:43:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On Aidas' website sovietcams.com there is a Smena-1 PK1920 with only a 4-digits serial. Is this the most rare Smena-1?

In PK1925 Aidas mentioned bad quality. When did this bad quality start, with the new film advance knob, or the 4 black screws, or the bigger 55x55mm faceplate?
Go to Top of Page
Lenny
496 Posts
Posted - Mar 21 2015 :  06:22:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Interesting, as even I have a "nameless" Smena-5. Always thought that it was modified by someone to hide that it is the most cheapest one, but if glue was bad, then it is not the reason.

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/612015_DSCF1627c.JPG

The serial is 064267 and the nameplate area is filled with a red resin-type plastic

And I still miss the "multicoloured" Smena-5 so if anyone has a spare one please let me know

Best regards,
Juhani

I'm digging in the Smena threads, as you can see I'm quite interested about these Smenas now.
#064267 is not an early serial number, it's in the second half of Smena-5 production. Unbelievable that GOMZ tried to find cheaper glue in the middle of production.
It's also sad that GOMZ tried so much to be so cheap. With little more effort they could have made many different and special variants, like Swatch-watches. Poor management and a missed opportunity.
Go to Top of Page
Lenny
496 Posts
Posted - Mar 21 2015 :  06:29:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Once I bought a set of two cameras and I told the russian seller to keep the Smena because I wanted to save the tax :)
Was it a mistake?

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/412015_Smena and Zorki-2C.JPG

Now I know, it was a mistake not to take this Smena-1 from 1955.
Damnit.
But I have another one now from 1956, with red serial number and yellow frame-counter.
I love it.
Go to Top of Page
Lenny
496 Posts
Posted - Mar 23 2015 :  03:47:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back to the glue of Smena-5 name-plates. I saw #002609 with parts of the name-plate still there in the center, at the edges parts of the plate was peeled off. It shows that the glue was pretty good at the start of production, just not enough at the edges.
The picture shows #144654, the highest serial I found till now for Smena-5. It's similar to PK2335 #075884 with a wide rim around the shutter, but this #144654 with a different aperature 22. The name-plate is lost, same as on Juhani's #064267. Seems GOMZ had trouble with the glue for a long time.

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/2332015_Smena-5 144654 front.jpg

Edited by - Lenny on Mar 23 2015 03:49:18 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google