Collectors and Users Open Forum
 Curtains replacement.
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
okynek
759 Posts
Posted - Dec 20 2007 :  11:03:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to replace curtains first time in my live. Honestly I do not looking forward to do this, but happens that I open camera thinking something easy and end up replacing curtains.
I looking for advises from people who did this. What glue should I use? Where to buy it? How to start? Where to start? What to check first? How far to glue? How to make everything straight and even? How to put all back?
Any advise will be appreciated!!!!
Yuri Boguslavsky
fedka
USA
240 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Dec 20 2007 :  11:40:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit fedka's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Your best bet is to read some books on the subject and check the web. This procedure os described in detail in many places

http://www.ussrphoto.com/Wiki/default.asp?WikiCatID=39&ParentID=4&ContentID=309&Item=Camera+Repair+by+Maizenberg+%28Downloadable%29

http://www.ussrphoto.com/Wiki/default.asp?WikiCatID=39&ParentID=4&ContentID=308&Item=Camera+Repair+by+Yakovlev+%28Downloadable%29

Go to Top of Page
okynek
759 Posts
Posted - Dec 21 2007 :  07:05:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Yuri! I'll read this books today.
Did you changed curtains on any of your cameras? In reality how hard and frastirated this procidure?
How long does it take?
Go to Top of Page
BERRY alain
mermoz37
France
814 Posts
Posted - Dec 21 2007 :  09:56:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi Okynek,
in the past i try to did it on zenit and zorki's...
it was very easy to disassemble , stick new curtains (neopren glue ) but quite impossible to re-assemble all shafts in the base plate....
but may be i been clumsy
Go to Top of Page
Yuri Boguslavsky
fedka
USA
240 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Dec 21 2007 :  10:12:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit fedka's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No, I never changed them myself, though got very close. You need to take the shutter apart (easy) and detach the old curtains. I think you need to mark the drums, so when you glue new ones, you have the same exact position. Then you need to tension the curtains, and this requires experience, since you need them to move evenly (no capping, even exposure) and at the right speed (correct exposure).
So overall it is a hassle. My mechanic does it quickly, but he's been doing it for 30 years. And even he sometimes has to re-glue curtains or ribbons after fully assembling a camera (if he sees a wrinkle or something like this).
Y
Go to Top of Page
okynek
759 Posts
Posted - Dec 21 2007 :  1:09:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I was reading Maisenberg's Camera Repair whole morning, and then more I read then less confident I get.
Even Maisenberg say that change curtains is for experienced people. And even they have to try few times before they get it right. I have not much choice and not a lot of to lose, camera already in pieces, so I'll try. Will see if I will fix more then I will destroy in frustration.
Thank you very much guys for your input!

Edited by - okynek on Dec 21 2007 1:10:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Dec 21 2007 :  2:14:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The disassembled Zenit E that's been sitting on my desk for about 5 months is the proof of that.. :) I decided to glue a ribbon that got unglued and one thing lead to another and I ended up with a desk full of parts and no idea how to put it put it back together.. I just keep it there all taken apart as a 10th world wonder called "How many little parts can you cram into a 10x10cm enclosure." And as a reminder to have Yuri's repair guy do all my repairs for me from now on. hehehe

Vlad.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google