Kiev 88CM 1/60 shutter problem
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
zcetrt
45 Posts
Posted - May 07 2015 :  01:41:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear all,

I bought a "new" Kiev 88 CM a while ago with intention to use it. I like the camera very much, but I had some problems with the film back which I solved. Now I shot 5 rolls of film and the shutter started to behave strangely in the middle of the 6th roll. It was harder to cock it some times.

I discovered that the second curtain sometimes stops in the middle of the travel at different speeds. I took the camera to a local repair shop for evaluating the repair cost. However, they said they don't know what to do and that they are not familiar with Kiev 88 CM and thus returned the camera.

Obviously they did try to fix it since the shutter was problematic at all settings. Now it sticks only at 1/60 s. After asking the repair guy he told me that they lubricated some parts, but they are clueless about the 1/60 s.

Is anybody out there that would know if the 1/60 s is somewhat special? Do you have any proposition, what could I do? I am not a noob at camera repair, but am far from being experienced. Thus I am not confident to dig in without service manual or guidance.

Thank you for your answers and have a nice day.

Robert Vonk
Fotohuis
Netherlands
100 Posts
My Collection

Posted - May 07 2015 :  05:14:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fotohuis's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For Kiev M.F. cameras you could ask ARAX in Kiev (Ukraine). The Kiev 88 seems to be a pretty difficult camera in repair.

Robert
"De enige beperking in je fotografie ben je zelf"
http://gallery.fotohuisrovo.nl/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotohuisrovo/
Go to Top of Page
zcetrt
45 Posts
Posted - May 07 2015 :  09:09:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the tip. I sent Arax request for quotation and as far as repair costs stated on their web site are totally acceptable, despite they would charge me shutter repair and CLA, the addition of shipping costs mean I will end up with 150 EUR + bill which is quiet high for me at the moment. Not mentioning potential customs duties.

Edited by - zcetrt on May 07 2015 09:10:28 AM
Go to Top of Page
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo
Brazil
1981 Posts
My Collection

Posted - May 07 2015 :  7:25:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Normally this occurs due some dirt on the shutter . Not a problem at all.
with a fine needle inject Benzine under the bottom and lateral skirts of the cāmera with the lens removed Try to operat the cāmera.
That is all!
Regards
LP
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google