Located in
Still Cameras > KMZ - Zorki

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Ian Seymour
Luminous

United Kingdom
3 Posts
Posted - Jun 02 2015 :  07:33:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I was interested by the wiki entry on the rarity of the Zorki 1/"Rigid White" combination. I thought members might find the attached picture from my collection - showing one in use - of interest. It was taken in France in the later 1950s: the car is a Panhard Dyna Z (1954-59).

Perhaps some of these camera/lens combinations were exported?

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/262015_Zorki.jpg

Jacques M.
France
2575 Posts
Posted - Jun 02 2015 :  08:07:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Not sure many of these combinations were exported at that time: the collapsible lens was much more convenient. And the "rigids" have now frequent problems of corrosion which stick the distance ring.

Just the same for the Dyna Z which had a body in aluminium. For the same reason, it was made in steel from 1957 or 58, I don't remember exactly. A very good (but fragile) car, with its boxer motor...

Thanks for the picture, Ian!

Amitiés. Jacques.

Go to Top of Page
Lenny
496 Posts
Posted - Jun 02 2015 :  08:50:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are many Zorki-1 with export logo between #24xxx and #40xxx, but I think most of them were exported to Poland and other countries in the East. But don't forget the second-hand market. If people were on vacation in France it was a good opportunity to buy a french camera and leave the Zorki at the dealer.

If I had a camera at that time I'm sure I wouldn't have taken a photo of these two ladies.

Nice car, wonderful time.
Go to Top of Page
Ian Seymour
Luminous
United Kingdom
3 Posts
Posted - Jun 02 2015 :  09:34:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, gentleman! :)

Jacques - I didn't know about the corrosion on the rigids: I have the SLR version of the lens, which looks a little curious but makes some lovely pictures. And I drove a Citroen ZX (the same one) for 20 years - I have more than a fondness for cars that are a little.... "fragile" occasionally :)

Lenny - I think you're onto something! To be honest, I've wondered if she is from the East. She has a Contax/Pentacon SLR over her shoulder and a badge/broach with an Eiffel Tower and tag that looks touristic but might denote some sort of event ? I wish we knew the circumstances of the photograph. Alas, one seldom does :(
Go to Top of Page

Alexander K.
AlexanderK
Germany
584 Posts
Posted - Jun 02 2015 :  2:36:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny

There are many Zorki-1 with export logo between #24xxx and #40xxx, but I think most of them were exported to Poland and other countries in the East. But don't forget the second-hand market. If people were on vacation in France it was a good opportunity to buy a french camera and leave the Zorki at the dealer.

Lenny,
1) there were NOT many Zorki-1 with export logo between #24xxx and #40xxx. Export Zorki-1 has special numeration.
2) the most of export cameras were exported to east "soviet" Europa, but also very many cameras were exported to Great Britain, France, Canada and Australia. These cameras had another quality and they had to pass special control.
3) there was NO vacation in France for soviet people. IT WAS NOT POSSIBLE in 50th (with some special exceptions). So, this camera exchange was also very questionable...

Regards, Alexander
Go to Top of Page

Alexander K.
AlexanderK
Germany
584 Posts
Posted - Jun 02 2015 :  2:41:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the way, I think on this photo the photographer wanted to show the woman-photographer with two different cameras (she seems to be professional), but not simply any ladies on the street.

Regards, Alexander
Go to Top of Page
Jacques M.
France
2575 Posts
Posted - Jun 02 2015 :  2:49:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

To buy an interesting French cameras in the fifties ? Frankly, I don't know which one. Focas were of good quality, but with a M36 screw or a special bayonnet. They were not compatible with anything else. The other 35mm cameras had fixed lenses, unless my memory is false...

About boxer engine cars, I had (long ago!) a Panhard PL17 (the one just after the Dyna Z)and a Citroën GS: this last one was really a featherbed car!

Amitiés. Jacques.

Go to Top of Page
xya
France
154 Posts
Posted - Jun 02 2015 :  3:34:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jacques M.

To buy an interesting French cameras in the fifties ? Frankly, I don't know which one. Focas were of good quality, but with a M36 screw or a special bayonnet. They were not compatible with anything else. The other 35mm cameras had fixed lenses, unless my memory is false...

About boxer engine cars, I had (long ago!) a Panhard PL17 (the one just after the Dyna Z)and a Citroën GS: this last one was really a featherbed car!

Amitiés. Jacques.

I agree with jacques and alexander, russian cameras were more interesting for french people than vice versa. and as far as I remember french photo dealers had quite a choice of russian cameras for sale in the late 50s and early 60s.

I once had a dyna Z from 1958, it was made entirely of steel. I changed it for a borgward arabella, another boxer engine car which was suceeded by a wonderful citroën ami 6...
Go to Top of Page
Lenny
496 Posts
Posted - Jun 02 2015 :  5:01:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AlexanderK

[quote]Originally posted by Lenny

1) there were NOT many Zorki-1 with export logo between #24xxx and #40xxx. Export Zorki-1 has special numeration.
2) These cameras had another quality and they had to pass special control.
3) there was NO vacation in France for soviet people (with some special exceptions)

Alexander, I know about 32 Zorki-1 between #24xxx and #40xxx and 25 of them have the export logo. I would say these 78% with export logo are pretty much. I know Ulrich has or had one of them, same for Jacques and Juhani. 78% can't be very special in quality otherwise they couldn't reach 78%. There was no special numeration. The quality of export versions after #400xxx is a different story because those are very rare.

Of course Ivan the barber couldn't have vacation in France, not the normal people, but some richer Russians could. Ivan wouldn't buy an Eiffel sticker, but this lady did.

The lady infront with the rigid white lens, she doesn't have a second camera. There might be someone behind her because the strap of the leather case is down.

Edited by - Lenny on Jun 02 2015 5:10:47 PM
Go to Top of Page
Ian Seymour
Luminous
United Kingdom
3 Posts
Posted - Jun 03 2015 :  04:17:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, everyone, for these fascinating comments - and thank you Lenny, for pointing out that she does not have a second camera! I was so busy looking at details that I missed the whole picture! :)

All the best, Ian :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google