Collectors and Users Open Forum
 Gate modification Lada/Neva
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
jzagaja
3 Posts
Posted - Jan 30 2016 :  12:00:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it possible (if shutter allows) widen the gate in Lada or Neva to 16mm?

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4236 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 30 2016 :  1:10:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think you'll have a few major problems: 16mm spools won't fit and transport mechanism will need to be adjusted for larger frame (not even thinking how that will work with perforation), I'm not even sure it's possible. Also the lens may not cover the entire frame.. What are you trying to accomplish? Not for that much more you can maybe pick up a Krasnogorsk-1 or 3..
Go to Top of Page
jzagaja
3 Posts
Posted - Jan 30 2016 :  1:29:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Idea is to use recentered 16mm lens, Double8 film stock and camera that is much smaller than 16mm Krasnogorsk or Canon Scoopic. For example Beaulieu MAR8 is very nice but use reflex shutter. How about Neva/Lada?

Have you ever seen Double8 film perforator? Anyone tried make in Russia?
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4236 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 30 2016 :  1:41:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've never seen any of these cameras modified in the 10 years I've been buying/collecting... I was purely talking conceptually..even though the cassettes are same width in Lada, you still may have frame coverage issues because of flange distances (backfocus) as when I compared to K-3, the film plate in it is very close to the back of the lens where in Lada there's a pipe-like assembly (3 times the backfocus distance)... is there a dead strip in the middle of double8 film? i.e. can you use the entire horizontal space on double8 if you widen the frame gate? I think if you want a wide screen frame (half vertical frame) it may be possible and you won't have to adjust the shutter and transport for that if you shoot on double8.. but if you go full 16mm frame (i.e. making the frame bigger vertically as well as horizontally) I think you'll run into serious mechanical issues...
Go to Top of Page
jzagaja
3 Posts
Posted - Jan 30 2016 :  1:49:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was already done for Bolex H8Rex - see UltraPan8.
Problem that I usually have is dark viewfinder when lens is stopped down. Can be omitted with reflex lens. I've never used Krasnogorsk or Aaton/Arri. From other side with modern film like Vision 50D reg8mm is ok - I'm sure Kodak will make Double8 batch because they now trying sell film with Logmar8 camera.
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4236 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 30 2016 :  1:57:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well if you attempt to do it and successful please do post the photos of the modification! Good luck! Sounds very interesting!

Cheers,
Vlad
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google