Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Michael Lee
leemik

USA
3 Posts
Posted - Feb 19 2016 :  2:43:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, long time lurker and I really enjoy the forum.. I finally joined and this is my 1st post. =) I bought this jupiter-8 about a year ago and because of this forum I finally decided to look it up on sovietcams to figure out it's history and what type it is.

Well, it doesn't seem to fit into any one category nicely. It's most similar to a PT3080 but it's glossy black and not silver.

It has the serial number on the top ring and not on the side.

It has an triangle instead of a dot for aperture indicator

The numbers on bottom seem engraved and not just printed. and distance numbers seem slightly bigger

So what do I actually have here? a Franken-lens that someone hacked together from other lenses or some small run factory demo/test lens? The lens is really nice to behold.. the black glossy paint is very shiny and looks great.. it's one of the favorites in my collection.

--mike
Lenny
496 Posts
Posted - Feb 19 2016 :  3:22:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats to your first post Mike,
I don't know when the Jupiter-8 section on sovietcams.com was made, but consider it not complete.
Also great to check is fotoua.com

http://fotoua.com/7lensAlltip.php?st=7&rd=4&usl=&usl1=&seek1=84&seek2=104

see type 4b #0119149, glossy too but export version and much younger in time than your #6733787.
Go to Top of Page
Michael Lee
leemik
USA
3 Posts
Posted - Feb 24 2016 :  8:04:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Lenny!

fotoua.com seems to have a lot less stuff than sovietcams.. but the jupiter 8 section seems the same.. my jupiter 8 does not fit exactly into any one type. If anything it's more like a type 3 (AT403) because of the year + body style + location of the serial number but it's glossy black and not silver and has a triangle instead of a dot

So I guess neither site has complete info on variations of the Jupiter-8

Edited by - leemik on Feb 24 2016 8:05:01 PM
Go to Top of Page
Lenny
496 Posts
Posted - Feb 25 2016 :  07:50:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leemik

fotoua.com seems to have a lot less stuff than sovietcams.. but the jupiter 8 section seems the same.. my jupiter 8 does not fit exactly into any one type. If anything it's more like a type 3 (AT403) because of the year + body style + location of the serial number but it's glossy black and not silver and has a triangle instead of a dot

So I guess neither site has complete info on variations of the Jupiter-8

I think there is no site with complete info of all variations, but still sovietcams and fotoua are very good to have an overview. Sometimes it's also difficult to divide between original variants, factory errors and fakes when there are only photos.
I guess most collectors are interested in early versions and don't care so much about later types. So it's up to you to become a fotoua member and post your new type there.
Go to Top of Page
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo
Brazil
1993 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Feb 28 2016 :  05:32:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
these are from the last series of Zorki 4K
and were produced in large quantities.
Regards
LP
Go to Top of Page
Michael Lee
leemik
USA
3 Posts
Posted - Feb 29 2016 :  12:35:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Luiz Paracampo

these are from the last series of Zorki 4K
and were produced in large quantities.
Regards
LP

This doesn't sound right.. Zorki 4K was made from 1972 to 1978.. this lens has a date of 1967?

perhaps someone put an optical unit of a 1967 into a 1970's glossy helicoid? that doesn't seem likely either because the optical unit has a matching gloss black rim as well.

Edited by - leemik on Feb 29 2016 12:35:55 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google