Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Vladislav Kern
Vlad

USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Mar 08 2016 :  11:04:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am very confused by this FED-S.. any idea what this is? Doesn't look like a modification. Look at the serial and the bulb speed indicator on the dial

Source: https://vk.com/stariefotoapparati?w=wall-34301331_14923

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/832016_REdFrBE73Hw.jpg

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/832016_eKNG0uxD25g.jpg

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/832016_iIjHaTcRQ88.jpg

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/832016_SlrwGrcgEpg.jpg

Lenny
496 Posts
Posted - Mar 08 2016 :  11:24:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I see such unusual serials I only think of fakes.
Then I look at the top-plate around the shoe and see sharp edges.
Seems to me it was grounded before.
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Mar 08 2016 :  11:45:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I also noticed that if you compare to the NKVD-YCCP FED-S in the Wiki, I guess I just don't understand a reason behind faking a FED-S...

Go to Top of Page

Milo Schekkerman
Valkir1987
Netherlands
195 Posts
Posted - Mar 08 2016 :  1:16:09 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Valkir1987's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Looks genuine to me. Noticed the b engraving next to Fed. Could this have been an Fed B? Any signs or traces of a slow speed action?

How about the lens, does it have black or blue blades?
Go to Top of Page
Jacques M.
France
2584 Posts
Posted - Mar 08 2016 :  2:07:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Looks genuine to me too.
A bit astonished by these two engravings I had never seen on the cover of a Fed...
What about this reversed E? We find it on the early Fed lightmeter, up to c. s/n 4000. This "E" probably for "Exposure"...
And what about the "b"? A "b" series? So, a special one, with a separate numbering? But for whom? We find that "b" on some kievs too...

All that put apart, it seems a S 1c series... But the shape of the cover, on the left, more straight than curved, could be from a pre 24xxx 1b....

Jacques.

Go to Top of Page
Jacques M.
France
2584 Posts
Posted - Mar 08 2016 :  2:28:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Something else... Why this straight "b"?

I don't think it can really be a Fed "b": the other ones we know don't have this letter.
And I support Milo's question: it could be interesting to have more details about the lens: serial number and colour of the diaphragm.

A very strange and interesting camera.
Vlad, is there something interesting in the discussion of vk.com?

Jacques.
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Mar 08 2016 :  2:48:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mostly people think it's fake on VK. The letter "b" looks too hand-written... I'll ask regarding the blades.
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Mar 08 2016 :  2:49:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
they are also confused about serial # as well. so pretty much same discussion there as here , although most leaning towards hand-made on VK
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Mar 08 2016 :  2:54:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Some more detail

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/832016_fed-fullcrop.JPG

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/832016_fed-fullcrop2.JPG

Go to Top of Page

Guido Studer
Guido
Switzerland
362 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Mar 08 2016 :  3:11:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Guido's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Hello Vlad

One question: It's your camera? If not: I'll bet it's a fake. The "1000" on the speed wheel looks also hand made for me like the s/n and the "b" after "FED". And there are other details by the way.

Just my 2 cents ...

Best wishes - Guido
Go to Top of Page
Jacques M.
France
2584 Posts
Posted - Mar 08 2016 :  3:15:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Sure that the "b" does not seem honest!
The "Z" near the 1000 on the speed dial is not genuine either.

The release button belongs to a "c" type (at least).
The other details could denote a "c" type too, except the shape of the cover, on the left, which belongs to a "b". But the "S" seies begins with the "c"...

OK, all that is not very good for this Fed! A possibility too to have photos from the inside? (tip of rangefinder, and back removed)? That could help...

Jacques.
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Mar 08 2016 :  3:34:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Guido, no it's not my camera, someone just posted it in VK.com group... it seems to be a fake but what's I'm really confused about is the serial #.. what is it supposed to be? Even if it's fake what were the fakers going for there?
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Mar 08 2016 :  3:35:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Also notice the depression on the vulcanite on front, self-timer hole?
Go to Top of Page

Guido Studer
Guido
Switzerland
362 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Mar 08 2016 :  3:49:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Guido's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Hello Vlad

quote:
Originally posted by Vlad

Even if it's fake what were the fakers going for there?

I don't know but possibly they thinking a enigmatic s/n would be more interesting than an conventional one? Just guessing ...

Best wishing - Guido

Go to Top of Page

Alexander K.
AlexanderK
Germany
584 Posts
Posted - Mar 08 2016 :  5:22:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Vlad,
it seems to be a fake. "1000"/"Б"/deepness and width of engraving and of course s/n - all these signes of "not fair game".
Your question about the reason behind faking a FED-S - price on auctions, such as Ebay.
Guido has right, such s/n would be more interesting than an conventional one for future collectors, who might have never seen the genuine one .

Regards, Alexander
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Mar 08 2016 :  6:29:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think so too, Alexander, but stranger things have surfaced in the past, remember FED-Arsenal?
Go to Top of Page

Milo Schekkerman
Valkir1987
Netherlands
195 Posts
Posted - Mar 09 2016 :  11:40:46 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Valkir1987's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Could it have been an option, that a normal Fed camera was sent back to the factory or a skilled workshop to have it updated to a Fed S with the new optic? Not al conversions are forgery.
Go to Top of Page

Alexander K.
AlexanderK
Germany
584 Posts
Posted - Mar 09 2016 :  1:53:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Valkir1987

Could it have been an option, that a normal Fed camera was sent back to the factory or a skilled workshop to have it updated to a Fed S with the new optic?

Milo,
no, it was almost impossible. FED-S was a special improved issue for establishment, so you could not simply sent the normal camera back to factory to upgrade it. It seems to be (for me) a "home made" version of the camera.

Regards, Alexander

Edited by - AlexanderK on Mar 09 2016 1:55:17 PM
Go to Top of Page
Jacques M.
France
2584 Posts
Posted - Mar 09 2016 :  2:56:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Certainly, some Fed NKVD could have been exchanged or upgraded against Fed S. A simple operation, as it seems: some regular NKVD-s have the nine holes (from B to 1/1000th)on the speed wheel inside, even if the corresponding speed dial stops at 1/500th... And these NKVD-s could have kept the original serial numbers once upgraded: it's the case too for the Leicas. To be simple, in some (many?) cases, there could be only two differences between a regular NKVD and a "S": the speed dial and the lens. And probably a more precise regulation of the shutters.

But it's not really the problem here. I think too that this camera is a fake. The "b" is not "honest", nor the Z, near the 1/1000. And the cover is not a 1c's. That said, I always wonder about the meaning of this curious serial number.

Amitiés. Jacques.

Edited by - Jacques M. on Mar 09 2016 3:12:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

Milo Schekkerman
Valkir1987
Netherlands
195 Posts
Posted - Mar 11 2016 :  07:31:33 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Valkir1987's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Milo,
no, it was almost impossible. FED-S was a special improved issue for establishment, so you could not simply sent the normal camera back to factory to upgrade it. It seems to be (for me) a "home made" version of the camera.

Regards, Alexander

We just (or perhaps) know too little about the after sale service from the factory and optical workmanship done by shops on Fed cameras before te war. Receipts rarely show up.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google