Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guido Studer
Guido

Switzerland
362 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Apr 07 2016 :  3:17:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Guido's Homepage  Reply with Quote

"McKeown's Camera Encyclopedia & Price Guide

...is nearing completion! The editors have been working full-time since the 12th edition was released in 2004. We now have about 5 times more information and nearly 100,000 illustrations ready to publish.

We are considering two different publishing options:

1. PRINTED, BOUND BOOKS in English (about 4000-5000 pages, in 4-volumes, each the size of the current 12th edition). It would include about 100,000 camera models and variants covering the entire history of analog cameras, with about 50,000 selected illustrations. English language only.

2. ONLINE & MOBILE EDITION for access by computer, tablet, smart phone, etc. This would be a fully-indexed, searchable electronic version of the new McKeown's with the same content as above, plus ongoing updates and multiple language translations.

In order to begin the final formatting, we need to determine the interest and wishes of our customers, so we can proceed with one or both of the above options. Your answers remain anonymous; your honesty is appreciated."

If you're interested in please go to http://www.mckcamera.com/ and answer the questions.

By the way I'm not associated, affiliated or otherwise linked with the site in question nor the editor of the books and I will not have any profits for posting this here. But I'm strongly interested in this new books ... ;-)

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Apr 07 2016 :  4:27:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is a great book but I have my doubts it'll go into much depth on Soviet cameras - as much as 1200 Cameras from USSR.. it would be a pleasant surprise if it does.
Go to Top of Page

Guido Studer
Guido
Switzerland
362 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Apr 08 2016 :  03:44:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Guido's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Hello Vlad

I also don't think all cameras form the "1200" book will be mentioned, but that's not the ambition of such a project I think. In the "1200" book you find all the prototypes and minor variants with all the details. In a camera encyclopedia I would like to find informations about the company and a description of all major models with maybe some variants listed. And because it's also I price guide a price tag is very interesting and sometimes useful too.

I own the last "McKeown's Price Guide to antique & classic Cameras" (12th edition 2005/2006, published in 2004). And I must say I use it at least once weekly for reference together with other more specific books.

Best wishes - Guido
Go to Top of Page
Jacques M.
France
2584 Posts
Posted - Apr 08 2016 :  07:02:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Great news!
But I have a problem with "1200 cameras", it's the language.
Really, wouldn't it be possible to have a sort of copy book, with an English translation of the whole Russian text?

If yes, I buy it at once.
I have no more the age to buy such a book for the images...

And I am OK with both of you: one should have one and the other!

Amitiés. Jacques.

Go to Top of Page

Alexander K.
AlexanderK
Germany
584 Posts
Posted - Apr 08 2016 :  5:38:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really great news, but I don't think it would be sold under 300,- $.
4-volumes printed book could cost about 400-500,- $ and I think it is too much for the book.
Guido, Kadlubek 5.ed. has also the price guide, it is not bad and costs 1/4 from McKeown.
What's about soviet cameras I don't belive, that McKeown has updated the list of soviet cameras since 12ed (2006). The most of the cameras in "1200"-book are different variations and McKeown has only "base" versions of the soviet cameras.

To buy? May be the mobile version, but it also depends on price.

Regards, Alexander
Go to Top of Page

Guido Studer
Guido
Switzerland
362 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Apr 08 2016 :  6:14:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Guido's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Hello Alexander

If you look at the prices of other books (ie. the "Carl Zeiss Kamera-Register" from 2012 inital costs 150 Euros) you're quite optimistic with 400-500$ I fear.

I have the latest Kadlubek catalog too but it represent an other market and is also a little outdated by the way. And it's an other approach.

Yes, I still love books. And I don't think a mobile version really would be cheaper for let's say 50$ the year. It's 600$ for 12 years (the 12th McKeown is from 2004).

Best wishes - Guido
Go to Top of Page
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo
Brazil
1981 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Apr 13 2016 :  8:00:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know difficulties and the staff needed to publish a good book.
Knowledge is high priced because the investment and work do not come free directly from Heavens.
I am doing a book of photography that I believe every one will like.
I am now at the beginning of the fourth volume, (750 pages each- all in colours) where I describe everything known (at least what reached to me in photographic technics just in the last 2300 Years!
And know difficulties in doing a good and precise information.
Regards for all.
LP
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google