Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

galloups
France
10 Posts
Posted - Apr 26 2016 :  11:48:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello from France!

I am shooting a first roll with a Kiev 2, don't know if the rangefinder is well calibrated, if the jupiter 8 and 12 i have are good, or if there is any light leak... we will see!

I have a question regarding the self timer. I crave selftimer on a camera, i like it for taking pictures with friends, or for using slow shutter speeds. But i know that sometimes, if it hasn't been used for years, the self timer can be stuck, and on certain camera, a stuck self timer mean a stuck shutter. What do i risk if a try the self timer on this kiev 2?

Thank you

Steve
Moriarty
United Kingdom
12 Posts
Posted - Apr 27 2016 :  01:56:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is no problem. The shutter will work normally even if the self-timer is stuck (I just double-checked on a Kiev 4A).

Actually, the S-T is extremely reliable. Usually the only thing that can stop them working is a broken spring.

Nice looking camera!

Steve.

Edited by - Moriarty on Apr 27 2016 02:03:22 AM
Go to Top of Page
Jacques M.
France
2554 Posts
Posted - Apr 27 2016 :  05:07:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Welcome here, galloups!
As said, no problem. You just have to try it without winding: cock the selftimer, release by pushing the button.
If that doesn't work completely, it's possible to help the mechanism by pushing the lever.

If not, you can always use the camera without selftimer... The "schlick" is magical!

Jacques.
Go to Top of Page

galloups
France
10 Posts
Posted - Apr 28 2016 :  10:44:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your answers.
Is it really ok to make a self timer "cycle" without winding?

And for normal usage, what is the preferable order? I know you have to wind before changing shutter speed. What about the self timer?

1) winding / change shutter speed / cocking self timer
2) cocking self timer / winding / change shutter speed
3) both of 1 and 2 are correct and safe?

I'm afraid to cock the self timer...

Edited by - galloups on Apr 28 2016 10:45:03 AM
Go to Top of Page
Jacques M.
France
2554 Posts
Posted - Apr 28 2016 :  11:09:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Really no problem for a selftimer cycle without winding: I have just checked on several bodies.

As for the normal and safe use: winding/changing speed/cocking seltimer/releasing by selftimer button. Checked too!

Amitiés. Jacques.
Go to Top of Page

galloups
France
10 Posts
Posted - Apr 28 2016 :  12:10:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jacques, i just tried it. IT WORKS!
I'm really happy right now. It's a feature i love having on a camera, i find it really handy.

Edited by - galloups on Apr 29 2016 08:57:45 AM
Go to Top of Page
Pierre Tizien
Moxies
France
183 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Apr 28 2016 :  3:36:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Moxies's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi!
Nice Leningrad with this little jupiter-3!

Regards,
Pierre
Go to Top of Page
marcolin
25 Posts
Posted - Apr 28 2016 :  5:10:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Galloups!

i am just playing with my "new" KievIII and in my case it didn't works!!

at the end of the self timer nothing else happens, no shutter release. i am trying the sequence:

winding / change shutter speed / cocking self timer

maybe my self timer is broken :(

cheers
Go to Top of Page

galloups
France
10 Posts
Posted - Apr 28 2016 :  6:50:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How is the button that starts the self timer on your kiev III? I thought i had to push it on the kiev II, but in fact its a "sliding" button.
Also, did you cock the self timer enough?

edit : played with a KMZ Start this morning, a strange SLR. On this camera, i have to cock the self timer first and then wind the film. If i wind first and then cock the self timer, the shutter won't fire when timer ends.

Edited by - galloups on Apr 29 2016 05:48:26 AM
Go to Top of Page
Jacques M.
France
2554 Posts
Posted - Apr 29 2016 :  07:58:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Yes, the button is "sliding", so impossible to help the movement.
I have too a Kiev III with a stuck selftimer. After unscrewing the lever, I put a hundredth of droplet of cleaning oil and let it operate a night. It's better, as the lever moves when cocked now. But not enough to use the camera normally.

It would be necessary to dismount and clean: I won't do it. My aim was only to hear the "click"!...

Go to Top of Page
marcolin
25 Posts
Posted - Apr 30 2016 :  3:05:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello.

Thanks galloups it works. Just not cocked the selftimer lever enough I was just worried to broke it.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

galloups
France
10 Posts
Posted - Apr 30 2016 :  4:03:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Enjoy marcolin :)
Go to Top of Page
Steve
Moriarty
United Kingdom
12 Posts
Posted - May 01 2016 :  02:21:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by galloups

I know you have to wind before changing shutter speed.

You won't actually do any harm to a Kiev if you change speed without cocking the shutter first. I have heard that it can be possible, though, if the lubricants in the shutter are old and dry, that you may not always get the speed you intended.

I have just got a Kiev 2a working that had some problems with adjustments in the shutter, and I find now that if I change from a fast speed to a slow speed with the shutter cocked, sometimes the shutter will not fire. I don't seem to get this problem if I change the speed before winding, so I am doing this every time!

Edited by - Moriarty on May 01 2016 02:23:10 AM
Go to Top of Page
SteveA
United Kingdom
129 Posts
Posted - May 01 2016 :  12:11:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, the usual problem with the self-timer is that the cutout at the bottom of the lever which releases the shutter is not engaged with the post on the self-time clockwork motor. This is easily rectified by removing the film gate and looking down to see how the lever and post are interacting, and using a small screwdriver to carefully set the post into the slot.

This fault generally happens when someone services the camera and forgets to slightly cock the self-timer before removing the chassis from the body. If one does not do this, the sprung post will fly upwards - it then needs to be repositioned and the self-timer cocked just enough to hold it back.

Cheers,

Steve
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google