Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Collectors and Users Open Forum
 Russian Customs Service stole my Camera!!
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Vladislav Kern
Vlad

USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Sep 05 2016 :  12:09:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So here's my rant:

A friend in Moscow helped me buy a 1940s AFA-27 camera and shipped it to me in early March of this year. On March 28th Russian postal service web site said that it was passed on to Customs and that's it. Since then my friend called at least 11 different numbers and from conversations determined that the camera itself is somewhere in Moscow's Kazanskiy station Customs inspection center and documents were passed on to some inspection bureau and will have a result in 2-3 months. That was in May. It's already September and nothing. Still stuck.

All the letters he wrote to the Russian post office were replied with that it's not our fault, it's in customs. Camera was not cheap but the work my friend did and all the personal time he wasted costs a lot more in my eyes... I am desperate at this point, never had anything like that happen to me...

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/592016_-IFbcuxS4rE.jpg

Vlad

Alexander K.
AlexanderK
Germany
584 Posts
Posted - Sep 05 2016 :  2:09:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vlad,
welcome back to soviet reality. It was very brave of you to let your friend to send this camera from Russia.
First it is too heavy, second it is old military equipment, so it was doomed to be "lost".
To check and prove that this camera could be export abroad can take much more than three month and I think you will never get it. It is very pity.

Regards, Alexander
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Sep 05 2016 :  10:29:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Alexander, I think you are correct. I have lost all hope at this point...

Vlad
Go to Top of Page

Alfa2
Poland
349 Posts
Posted - Sep 06 2016 :  03:49:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Vald, don't sweat it.
It was spud ugly camera. It would complitely not fit your beautiful collection.

Go to Top of Page
Zoom
596 Posts
Posted - Sep 06 2016 :  4:57:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vlad

A friend in Moscow helped me buy a 1940s AFA-27 camera and shipped it to me in early March of this year.

See http://issa.ru/legislation/rts134/rts134_27.html

2.4. предметы техники, приборы, инструменты, аппаратура, оборудование военного, научного, производственного и бытового назначения и/или их составные части, созданные более 50 лет назад.
(ТН ВЭД, группа 90: Инструменты и аппараты оптические, фотографические, кинематографические, измерительные, контрольные, прецизионные, медицинские или хирургические; их части и принадлежности)
Dura lex, sed lex...

Edited by - Zoom on Sep 06 2016 5:13:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Sep 06 2016 :  5:30:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Zoom ... I just wish
They would at least inform me with that fact... I have no reply from customs after multiple requests for information for past 3 months..
Go to Top of Page

Juhani Halmeenmaki
cedricfan
Finland
1014 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Sep 07 2016 :  01:01:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit cedricfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alfa2

Vald, don't sweat it.
It was spud ugly camera. It would complitely not fit your beautiful collection.

I agree!
Selling of this ugly cameras should be banned

Best regards,
Juhani
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Sep 07 2016 :  08:43:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks all for your kind words!

Best regards,
Vlad
Go to Top of Page
contronatura
Netherlands
24 Posts
Posted - Sep 10 2016 :  6:32:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Vlad. Really sorry to hear that.
By law cultural objects older than 50 years must have an export permission from Ministry of Culture. Anything older than 100 years is forbidden to export. Naturally trying to smuggle them through post is a criminal offence.
Usually customs don't pay attention to regular cameras (and I hope they will not start any time soon), but this THING is asking for trouble. Your friend could have had serious problems.
One seller from Moscow once told me his story. Shortly after he tried to send an icon abroad he received a visit from two customs officers. Eventually he had to pay a huge fine and got a criminal record :(
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Sep 10 2016 :  10:58:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
oh my god! Well this is a rusty old camera and not an icon, at this point I just want it to stay lost now with all your guys' horror stories!

Vlad
Go to Top of Page
xya
France
154 Posts
Posted - Sep 11 2016 :  2:33:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi vlad,

you shouldn't have wishes like that. just never loose hope. I collect old nomadic carpets and weavings. you just can't say whether they are 100 years old or only 70. so sometimes they were withheld by russian customs, but they all resurfaced in the end. some after more than 6 months. just investigate via the carrier (in my cases russian post) and they will find it. good luck!

www.a7camera.com www.120folder.com www.instantphoto.eu
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Sep 12 2016 :  3:13:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you Xya.. I will be cautiously hopeful Who knows.. I've had shipping in Russia take 6 months before...
Go to Top of Page
Pierre Tizien
Moxies
France
183 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Sep 12 2016 :  6:21:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Moxies's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What a sad story, with such serial number on telemar-17 (interesting the protection glass is from Zagorsk, not KMZ).

But need to agree that sending a so big lens was very risky; I would not risk. Once I have bought 3 Era lenses (quite big) in their wood box. I sent them one by one without box, and brought back to france wood box in my baggages.
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Sep 15 2016 :  09:54:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I guess I learned my lesson .. There's always risk buying collectibles from FSU countries..
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google