Located in
Still Cameras > Commemorative Cameras

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
BERRY alain
mermoz37

France
814 Posts
Posted - Dec 31 2007 :  06:28:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ask to specialysts here,an exact translation please ...

Juhani Halmeenmaki
cedricfan
Finland
1013 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Dec 31 2007 :  09:30:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit cedricfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Popeda = Victory. Also nickname for GAZ-M20 car. And this camera celebrates 50y from the end of WW2.

PS Still regret that I didn't buy one that was for sale here years ago. It was slightly broken, but I had the spare parts. But it did cost huge 10 euros back then...

http://www.cedricfan.sivut.ws/Juhani's%20website%20ORIGINAALIT/

Edited by - cedricfan on Dec 31 2007 09:53:42 AM
Go to Top of Page
okynek
759 Posts
Posted - Dec 31 2007 :  10:04:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's right. This is commemorative camera to celebrate 50 years of victory in WWII. The car M20 with name POBEDA was made in city Gorkov (Samara now?) on automobile factory GAZ. Same as camera Kiev, car POBEDA was spoils of war. Taken from Germany as a reparation. One of the best car made in USSR. And it was sold to general public! That if you have enough money to buy it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAZ-M20_Pobeda

Edited by - okynek on Dec 31 2007 10:05:39 AM
Go to Top of Page
Zoom
596 Posts
Posted - Dec 31 2007 :  6:03:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by okynek

The car M20 with name POBEDA was made in city Gorkov (Samara now?) on automobile factory GAZ. Same as camera Kiev, car POBEDA was spoils of war. Taken from Germany as a reparation.

1. Sity name was Gorky (named after Maxim Gorky, the writer).
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxim_Gorky
2. Before this and now this is Nizhny Novgorod
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nizhny_Novgorod
3. About "...spoils of war" and "a reparations"... :( Strange that you were refer to the article, but didn't read it:
See again http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAZ-M20_Pobeda
Go to Top of Page
okynek
759 Posts
Posted - Dec 31 2007 :  6:34:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wikopedia article has to many errors. I may be mistaken about POBEDA car, but that what I was reading some years ago. It even had German name for this car. Can not remember now. Same happens with all other "Russian" cars and truck: Moskvitch, MAZ, GAZ, ZIL. But I'm collecting cameras. And I may be wrong about this cars.

Edited by - okynek on Dec 31 2007 7:04:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

Juhani Halmeenmaki
cedricfan
Finland
1013 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 01 2008 :  02:23:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit cedricfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am collecting both...

Moskvits started from Opel, like Kiev started from Contax.

Popeda not, it is real Soviet-design, although it has some technical roots to USA as GAZ produced Fords in the early years. We could compare to Zenit: it is not a Leica, although it has some connecting features via Zorki.

One shot from last summer, when USSR-vehicle enthusiasts had a meeteng here. My Ural Milicia sidecar-motorbike leaded the convoy to this market place from a farm where we gathered first. There I took pics with a Zenit, but on the market place it was too crowdy for other than snapshooting.

http://www.cedricfan.sivut.ws/Juhani's%20website%20ORIGINAALIT/

Cars -> Car events ->2007 -> Neukkumasinistit
And
Photos -> 2007 -> 07 Summer misc -> Zeniting -> CCCP Car meet

If you want to see the rest of iron from east!

Edited by - cedricfan on Jan 01 2008 04:11:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Oct 13 2009 :  7:07:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've also received this Z-122 Pobeda edition from Juhani today (Thank YOU, I've received it safe and sound!) - do we have any more information on the number of these released? I could not find any mention of this camera on KMZ web site - www.zenitcamera.com, maybe Zoom can point me to the right page if the information is there, there is nothing in the catalog section next to the picture of my 50 years KMZ camera ...

Cheers,
Vlad
Go to Top of Page
Richard Nuttall
Poolhall
United Kingdom
163 Posts
Posted - Oct 14 2009 :  06:29:54 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Poolhall's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I remember seeing the Polish version of this car FSO in Krakow Transport Museum, there may be one in Palace of Culture in Warsaw too. I believe it is a purely Russian design as Juhani says but it does look a lot like the Czech Tatra pre war designs that Dr Porsche supposedly copied for the Volkswagen.

Samsung GX-10,too many Russian Lenses, A lot of Zenits, an Almaz 103 a few Yashica,and finally a Minox35GT
Go to Top of Page
Zoom
596 Posts
Posted - Oct 14 2009 :  11:03:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vlad

I could not find any mention of this camera on KMZ web site - www.zenitcamera.com, maybe Zoom can point me to the right page if the information is there, there is nothing in the catalog section next to the picture of my 50 years KMZ camera ...

Only there: http://www.zenitcamera.com/qa/qa-serialnumbers.html
This camera does not represent any special interest. I mean: in a technical or historical aspects.

P.S. And there, of course: http://www.zenitcamera.com/catalog/cameraproduction.html (See ZENIT-122-50)

Edited by - Zoom on Oct 14 2009 11:05:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Oct 14 2009 :  11:13:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Zoom, these are 50 Years of KMZ cameras you're showing me. We are talking about Zenit-122 - Victory of "Great Patriotic War" edition. See Wiki link on top of the forum thread.

Cheers,
Vlad
Go to Top of Page
Zoom
596 Posts
Posted - Oct 14 2009 :  12:20:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Zoom, these are 50 Years of KMZ cameras you're showing me. We are talking about Zenit-122 - Victory of "Great Patriotic War" edition. See Wiki link on top of the forum thread.

OK... :) For the KMZ history this commemorative camera ("ZENIT-122 - 50 years of Victory") does not represent interest ABSOLUTELY.
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Oct 14 2009 :  12:28:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hmm... interesting perspective.. well it is an "Anniversary" camera, I don't quite follow why not.. is it because the "KMZ History" only accounts for the mechanical differences?

I guess it is still quite of interest for collectors...

if you do run into any information by a chance about the release of these cameras in your archives we would greatly appreciate any kind of numbers/dates.

Thanks!
Vlad.
Go to Top of Page
Zoom
596 Posts
Posted - Oct 14 2009 :  1:08:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

is it because the "KMZ History" only accounts for the mechanical differences?

Not only, but quite close to that. An innovations -- it is important. A variants of a small distinctions are not interesting...

quote:
I guess it is still quite of interest for collectors...

I'm not collector... :(
Go to Top of Page

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Oct 15 2009 :  11:13:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote

It would seem to me that there is relevant importance to the history of the KMZ factory that this "50 Years of Victory" Zenit was made by KMZ. The KMZ site is the best site I have seen that is devoted to the works and history of production of a group of cameras and related items made by a factory, and although a work in progress, as are most histories, to leave this camera out would seem to be an omission (to my eyes).

To me, not as a collector, but as a person interested in the history of KMZ, I would expect this camera should have a mention on the site, just as the "50 Years Anniversary" (of KMZ) camera does, even though both cameras are not technical innovations or have mechanical differences.

As a collector, I can always find the camera, Zenit 122 "50 Years Victory" on collectors sites (like our WIKI) even if it is decided not to be of interest to the KMZ site zenitcamera.com for some unknown reason.

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page
Michel
France
217 Posts
Posted - Oct 15 2009 :  4:21:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bill,

May I say that I absolutely agree with you.
(Or do we have to throw our"50th ann." to the city dump if this camera has no interest for his parents ???)

;-)

Regards,
Michel.
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Oct 15 2009 :  4:26:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well said .. I guess I own a bastard camera.. hehehehe
Go to Top of Page
Michel
France
217 Posts
Posted - Oct 15 2009 :  4:56:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So do I !!

Regards,
Michel.
Go to Top of Page
Zoom
596 Posts
Posted - Oct 16 2009 :  12:12:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is a pity that I do not know English so well to explain my position. :(
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Oct 16 2009 :  12:28:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Zoom, post in Russian, i'll be happy to translate.

Vlad.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Oct 16 2009 :  1:33:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Zoom,
You do such a great job with the KMZ website that no explanation is necessary! I have a friend who is an advanced collector of Soviet cameras and lenses and he also has a perspective, possibly similar to yours, that what is important is the tecnological evolution, advances, and lineage of the cameras and that each small cosmetic change is not so relevant to those events and the technological history as a whole.
I understand this perspective and enjoy it, although my own interests are a bit wider. For example, in this particular case, it would be interesting to me several things:

* Who was the intended market for these cameras ... general public or specifically, military & former military members.
* Who was the primary person or group that decided to make this commemorative ... government or factory.
* How many were made and where were they distributed.
* Were they made for a specific event (other than just general 50 year anniversary) such as a meeting or convention, etc.

Maybe you don't know these answers, but if you do, even if they are not relevant and won't be published on your site, as an esteemed and experienced member of our group, we would love to know some of these things.

And, as always, thanks for all your work and sharing of knowledge on your site.

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page

Juhani Halmeenmaki
cedricfan
Finland
1013 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Oct 17 2009 :  03:14:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit cedricfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So far I have seen THREE of these in Finland, but as some of you know I have seen a really odd variety of cameras here...

Best regards,
Juhani
Go to Top of Page
Zoom
596 Posts
Posted - Oct 19 2009 :  12:19:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
O.K. You have persuaded me. ;)
http://www.zenitcamera.com/archive/commemorative/index.html
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Oct 19 2009 :  12:32:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow excellent job!! A couple I haven't not seen as well! :) Zoom, your site extremely helpful, thanks again for your efforts!!

Best regards,
Vlad.
Go to Top of Page

Juhani Halmeenmaki
cedricfan
Finland
1013 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Oct 19 2009 :  1:01:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit cedricfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
But we must always press Zoom a bit to get these excellent answers
SPASIBA!

Best regards,
Juhani
Go to Top of Page

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Oct 19 2009 :  1:31:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much Zoom! Quite a bit of new details and information for me!

So now I'm wondering what else you know about the cameras and their history that you are not telling ;-) Please give us some clue, sometime in the future!

Best regards to you, Bill

Go to Top of Page

Juhani Halmeenmaki
cedricfan
Finland
1013 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Oct 19 2009 :  3:09:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit cedricfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Or Zoom is the re-incarnation of Sherlock Holmes?

Best regards,
Juhani
Go to Top of Page
BERRY alain
mermoz37
France
814 Posts
Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  05:44:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks again Zoom
Go to Top of Page
Zoom
596 Posts
Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  09:49:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mermoz37

thanks again Zoom

You are welcome... ;) Btw., this page was updated...
Go to Top of Page

Juhani Halmeenmaki
cedricfan
Finland
1013 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  11:35:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit cedricfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wonder what does this mean:

Снимок юбилейного ЗЕНИТа-122-50 сделан Владиславом Керном

PS: Even I can so much cyrillic that I di dguess

Edited by - cedricfan on Oct 20 2009 12:00:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  11:39:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That I took the photo used on that site for the 50 years KMZ Z-122.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google