Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
sean perry
seany65

United Kingdom
313 Posts
Posted - Oct 04 2016 :  11:28:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've just received a zenit c and I've noticed 3 things:

1) I can only get a clear view of the focusing screen, and thus can only focus, if I wear my reading glasses, so I was wondering if there are any dioptre correction lenses available for the zenit C?

2) There are a lot of black specks in the viewfinder and I was wondering how easy it would be to clean them out? Would it be difficult, and thus expensive, to do?

3) I'd hoped the black specks were merely on the outside of the focusing screen and so I brushed it with my 'blower' brush, and I've noticed that there is a thin, dark line down the middle of the viewfinder when I look through it. It seems to be closer to the eyepiece than the actual focusing screen and I was wondering if my brushing could really have caused this thin black line?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Edited by - seany65 on Oct 04 2016 11:29:21 AM
Jacques M.
France
2584 Posts
Posted - Oct 04 2016 :  12:01:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

Perhaps you could have a look at:
http://erebos.free.fr/spip.php?article106

I have partially dismounted my Zenit 1 to put it in order (speed mechanism and prism to put correctly in place). I had no real problem. You should try, with correct screwdrivers, of course.

Jacques.
Go to Top of Page
sean perry
seany65
United Kingdom
313 Posts
Posted - Oct 04 2016 :  12:47:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the link, Jacques M.

Would I have to take the entire thing out like it does in the article, if I only want to clean the viewfinder?

The other problem, is I'd have to use my reading glasses to focus the camera. This would make using the camera a bit more of a pain to use:

1) Wear normal glasses to see what's going on and to see if there's anything worth photographing.

2) Decide there is, remove normal glasses and replace with reading glasses.

3) To do this take reading glasses out of their case in my bag, swap with normal glasses, put case back.

4) Take camera out, take light reading, focus, take photo(s). Hopefully the thing I was going to take a photo of hasn't gone away.

5) Put camera away.

6) take out reading glsesses case that now has my normal glasses in and swap with reading glasses and put case back.

7) Hope I don't see something else to photograph within a minute or two.

That whole process could get a bit annoying. I hope there are dioptre correction lenses that can fit from somewhere.

While we're at it, I've noticed that the speed dial rotates all the way around in both directions when there's no film in. I know I'm supposed to move to 'B' to rewind the film, but I can't see a mark on the dial that would line up with the 'B'. Should I use the screw that's hodling the disal to the shaft as a'mark'?

Edited by - seany65 on Oct 04 2016 12:48:33 PM
Go to Top of Page
sean perry
seany65
United Kingdom
313 Posts
Posted - Oct 28 2016 :  12:56:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had to send back the zenit c I had, to be repaired, as the mirror wouldn't stay down when I wound the film on.

I recieved a different zenit c back form the repairer. No big deal as the repairer said it was a mistake on his part.

But what I noticed is that both of the zenit c's have a thin, intermittant, black line down the centre of the viewfinder.

Is this usual? Were they designed that way?
Go to Top of Page
onre
Finland
14 Posts
Posted - Nov 01 2016 :  07:31:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The line is pretty much normal. It is because the silvering of the prism is worn from the very top. No need to worry about it.
Go to Top of Page
sean perry
seany65
United Kingdom
313 Posts
Posted - Nov 01 2016 :  11:23:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks onre. Seems a bit odd to me, though. Such a very thin line and apparently on most zenit c's. Does this affect zenit 3's and krystalls?

I received my zenit c back from repair. Within a day it devloped the same problem it had before ie. the mirror wouldn't stay down. I compared 'my' zenit c with the 'accidental' zenit c, and I noticed that on mine I could see the long spring that goes across the bottom of the mirror box, but I can't see it on the 'accidental' zenit c. My C is from 1960, (60012350), and the 'accidental' C is from 1957, (57292542), and has a piece of black metal in front of it.

Was there a slight design change at some point during the years 1957-1960 which removed the piece of black metal?

Or is this piece of black metal missing from No.600xxxx and that's part of the reason for the trouble it has with its mirror?

Finlayy, zenit C No.57xxxxx has a prism which seems to 'wobble' a little. Could this affect the focusing accuracy, or could this looseness end up damaging the prism?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Edited by - seany65 on Nov 01 2016 11:38:16 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google