Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Vladislav Kern
Vlad

USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  10:45:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone,

I am starting to take more pictures indoors with my Soviet cameras, and was wondering whether there is a decent flash unit with bounce head made by USSR that you can recommend me that does not require me to plug it in into wall socket and runs off AA batteries preferably. Is there such a thing?

Also can someone enlighten me how to take pics indoors with flash then? I would assume my Leningrad light meter is useless in this scenario.. is there like a universal setting for all my cameras I should use like 1/30 and F8? Or is there a way to determine that without a very expensive Seconic light meter?

Thanks,
Vlad

Juhani Halmeenmaki
cedricfan
Finland
1013 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  11:32:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit cedricfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ask Aidas if he can get you a Saliut flash, that works on all power sources. See the Wiki for pictures, it is a goos source of information, you know
And I must warn you: almost all USSR-flashes are pretty bad plastic
Also none that I have yet seen has auto-setting, so you must adjust aperture according to distance every time. That is done with calculating from guide number, or by a dial in flash. Eg if flash has GN 25 (metric, GOST-100) and the distance is 4m then 25/4=6,3 means aperture 6,3 and if distance is 6m then 25/6=4,2 so aperture is 4. Maybe you need an Elorg-calculator also
Yes, shutter speed usually 1/30 or 1/25. With Leningrad you also need to adjust sync time, but I can't remember which was which (in Zenit: X=electricflash and M=bulbs)

Edited by - cedricfan on Jan 03 2008 11:35:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  11:43:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I see! That does make sense! Thanks! I'll look for this flash on eBay as well.

Vlad.
Go to Top of Page

Aidas Pikiotas
AidasCams
Lithuania
973 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  11:43:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit AidasCams's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Juhani,
Did you mean "Saulute" flash? I have never met "Saliut" brand among the soviet flashes. Yea, Saulute was quite popular product in Soviet Union and it was the only product known widely as made in Lithuania!

Vlad, I can try to find you one, but local pick-up only, sorry ...

Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  11:50:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hehe, don't worry about Aidas, I'll keep searching on eBay, I'm in no hurry, I got my Rollei flash for now that I'm using, just wanted a Soviet one to go along with Soviet cameras.

Thanks!
Vlad
Go to Top of Page

Juhani Halmeenmaki
cedricfan
Finland
1013 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  1:18:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit cedricfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry Aidas, my Lithuanian is a bit rusty...
And Vlad: finding FSU-flashes or equipment bags in ebay may be very hard. At least when I hunted some for me they were more rare than Sport or Kiev-20

http://www.cedricfan.sivut.ws/Juhani's%20website%20ORIGINAALIT/
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  3:44:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well I see them there from time to time... And I got other source .. I'm sure in time everything can be found.
Go to Top of Page
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo
Brazil
1981 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  6:13:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Salute flash is a very complex circuit flash.
The most reliable is the Fil 10 (although clumsly) and the Chaika. This one uses two 4.5 volts batteries no more made.. but can be replaced by two three large cell telephone units.
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  6:56:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What batteries does Saulute use?
Go to Top of Page
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo
Brazil
1981 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  8:18:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In built Nickel -Cadmium
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  8:36:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I see so I'll just need a plug converter then. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Juhani Halmeenmaki
cedricfan
Finland
1013 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 03 2008 :  11:30:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit cedricfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Please see the CATALOG for information on Saulute!!!

http://www.ussrphoto.com/Wiki/default.asp?WikiCatID=54&ParentID=3&ContentID=572&Item=Saulute+SL%2D2

Saulute SL-2

Flash made in Lithuania, tilting and bouncing head, uses rechargeable accu or 4x AA-cells in adapter and those can be seen in my picture

Edited by - cedricfan on Jan 03 2008 11:36:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aidas Pikiotas
AidasCams
Lithuania
973 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 04 2008 :  01:18:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit AidasCams's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just for you to know - lithuanian word "Saulute" means "Daisy" or "Little Sun". Good match for flash unit, isn't it?
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 04 2008 :  1:52:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys! It does look like I'll need to go to the gym to get some more muscles before I can start carrying this thing around.. man, it's big!

Vlad
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 08 2008 :  12:51:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think I bought the wrong item....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250203389739&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=015

Oh well, it was cheap, I'll keep it for collection.. for some reason I just bought it without thinking, assuming there is just one Saulute flash....

Vlad.
Go to Top of Page

Aidas Pikiotas
AidasCams
Lithuania
973 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 08 2008 :  12:56:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit AidasCams's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yea, you just bought a simple one. But it works ok with vintage Smenas ...
Go to Top of Page

Juhani Halmeenmaki
cedricfan
Finland
1013 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 08 2008 :  1:29:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit cedricfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Be careful with that russian FLESH...
What does mrs Vlad say about buying such a thing?

http://www.cedricfan.sivut.ws/Juhani's%20website%20ORIGINAALIT/
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 08 2008 :  1:35:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
HA!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google