Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Scott Schneeweis
schneesb

USA
10 Posts
My Collection

Posted - May 07 2017 :  3:08:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit schneesb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi..this camera is proported to be associated with the early Soviet space progam. In addition to visual markers visible in the photo's the camera also bears the marking "K-08". It appears to me to be for capturing panoramic images.

Any thoughts from the forum as to who may have manufactured and its specific application?

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/752017_a16001.jpg

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/752017_b16009.jpg

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/752017_bl16002.jpg

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/752017_bl16006.jpg

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/752017_bl16004.jpg

Scott Schneeweis
schneesb
USA
10 Posts
My Collection

Posted - May 07 2017 :  3:11:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit schneesb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Couple of additional images:

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/752017_bl16007.jpg

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/752017_bl16008.jpg

Go to Top of Page
Zoom
596 Posts
Posted - May 08 2017 :  1:39:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by schneesb

Hi..this camera is proported to be associated with the early Soviet space progam.

The inscription "внимание разбирать кассету в невесомости строго запрещено!" (this inscription wonderfully preserved, I should say ;) was made by the font Arial Bold. This typeface was designed in 1982 but it became widely known only after Microsoft Windows 3.1 released in 1992. So...
Go to Top of Page
Scott Schneeweis
schneesb
USA
10 Posts
My Collection

Posted - May 08 2017 :  2:42:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit schneesb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you..what is the translation (to english) of the inscription?

Go to Top of Page
Yuri Boguslavsky
fedka
USA
239 Posts
My Collection

Posted - May 08 2017 :  9:51:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit fedka's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It says "It is strictly prohibited to take apart the cassette in a state of weightlessness"

I guess this inscription shall remove any doubt that this is a space camera.

quote:

Go to Top of Page
Scott Schneeweis
schneesb
USA
10 Posts
My Collection

Posted - May 08 2017 :  9:54:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit schneesb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes but I guess now need to figure out for which program. Is there antying from viewing the photographs of the camera that speak to what type of photography it may have been used for, who manufactured it?
Go to Top of Page

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - May 08 2017 :  11:08:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello all,
I would think that the red lettering may be added to try to increase the value of the camera, which although I don't know its actual purpose, is probably not a 'space camera'.
(1)The red lettering does not match the original smaller red lettering visible in some of the other photos.
(2) The warning would probably not be necessary to a Cosmonaut who would no doubt know it already (if it is the case not to remove the cassette in weightlessness).
(3) This camera looks to be earlier than the 1992 date that Zoom has said the font was available.
(4) The camera does not appear to have the high quality construction that went into other Soviet space cameras that I have seen and owned.

The camera serial numbers and general look of the construction are similar to Snejinka and other medical and industrial or military cameras. Possibly the serial numbers can tell the date of manufacture.

So, just my opinion that it may not be a space camera

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page
Yuri Boguslavsky
fedka
USA
239 Posts
My Collection

Posted - May 09 2017 :  1:15:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit fedka's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Perhaps you can take more pictures - inside the camera, serial number, any other inscriptions?
You can remove the cassette to see the shutter (prohibited if you are at zero gravity!!) What film format is it?

We can then all guess the purpose of the camera.

quote:

Yes but I guess now need to figure out for which program. Is there antying from viewing the photographs of the camera that speak to what type of photography it may have been used for, who manufactured it?

Go to Top of Page
Zoom
596 Posts
Posted - May 09 2017 :  3:15:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

My variant:)
Attention: it is strictly forbidden to take apart the cassette in zero gravity.

This camera is looks like aero-camera AFA-BAF* -- an demonstration or training body with сutted windows.

*) -- there were many variants, with different lenses, for example: AFA-BAF/21S, AFA-BAF/40R... Used on many reconnaissance aircrafts (IL-10M, IL-28R, Su-12, Mi-4M (helicopter), MiG-15R/bis, MiG-17R, La-11, La-17R, Yak-210, Tu-78, Tu-91, Tu-95...).

Edited by - Zoom on May 09 2017 3:23:18 PM
Go to Top of Page
Scott Schneeweis
schneesb
USA
10 Posts
My Collection

Posted - May 09 2017 :  3:17:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit schneesb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by fedka

Perhaps you can take more pictures - inside the camera, serial number, any other inscriptions?
You can remove the cassette to see the shutter (prohibited if you are at zero gravity!!) What film format is it?

We can then all guess the purpose of the camera.

[quote]Originally posted by schneesb

I will work on getting more images...may take some time but will post as soon as available...
Go to Top of Page
Scott Schneeweis
schneesb
USA
10 Posts
My Collection

Posted - May 09 2017 :  3:18:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit schneesb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zoom

This camera is looks like aero-camera AFA-BAF -- an demonstration or training body with сutted windows.

Is "AFA-BAF" an acronym, abbreviation or specific name for a camera type/application?

Go to Top of Page
Zoom
596 Posts
Posted - May 09 2017 :  3:24:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Is "AFA-BAF" an acronym, abbreviation or specific name for a camera type/application?

http://www.photohistory.ru/index.php?pid=1271713041752617
Sorry, in Russian.
Go to Top of Page
Scott Schneeweis
schneesb
USA
10 Posts
My Collection

Posted - May 09 2017 :  3:27:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit schneesb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you ....I cannot open the link from my work computer but will take a look once home. But I think you are very correct (it is an AFA camera)...after your post a simple google returned this: https://www.google.com/search?q=Luftbildkamera+AFA&num=100&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjh6a2d0uPTAhXIi1QKHbZsCDsQ_AUIDCgD&biw=1281&bih=761#imgrc=0m33Oqoc0GJeKM:
Go to Top of Page
Zoom
596 Posts
Posted - May 09 2017 :  3:56:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BAF is the acronym, presumably, from "Бортовой Автоматический Фотоаппарат" -- an onboard automatic camera.
AFA -- "АэроФотоАппарат" (Aerial camera).
Go to Top of Page
Pierre Tizien
Moxies
France
183 Posts
My Collection

Posted - May 09 2017 :  7:47:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Moxies's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The OF-233 inside is a good lens to use on medium format (or larger)
I got only the lens with metal housing, missing the camera behind it
http://pierretizien-photos.blogspot.fr/2014/02/of-233-210mm-25.html
Go to Top of Page
Scott Schneeweis
schneesb
USA
10 Posts
My Collection

Posted - May 09 2017 :  7:57:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit schneesb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Everyone has been so helpful here. Thank you. Now the mystery remains as to why the camera magazine has the text on it indicating it was for use in a vacuum. But as Bill P. stated, it may have been added to deceive/misrepresent the camera as something it is not. The detective work continues....
Go to Top of Page

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - May 10 2017 :  11:32:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Scott,
I believe the sign is warning about not removing the cassette in zero gravity, not in a vacuum. So this would lead to the assumption that it may be a 'space camera', however the lettering looks to have been added and this type of heavy camera would not have been used during space flight or orbit. The warning label style does not look correct for the date of the camera or space flight of the era, as Zoom pointed out.

Also, for what reason would it be not advisable to remove a cassette in a weightless enviornment? This would mean that the camera would be launched with only one cassette to be used which could not be removed and replaced during manned space flight. So if that was the case, no warning would be necessary - only to seal the door of the cassette and tell the Cosmonaut not to open it, which he or she would not do anyway since there would be no other cassette sent up to replace it with.

So the only thing that makes sense to me is that the warning was added by a seller to make it appear to be a 'space camera'.

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page
Scott Schneeweis
schneesb
USA
10 Posts
My Collection

Posted - May 10 2017 :  11:42:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit schneesb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Makes sense..

An alternative possibility comes to mind. Perhaps this was intend for some type of application on an aircraft that flies a parabolic arc...(like a Zero-G trainer or flight test lab for equipment that might need to be evaluated that goes into space)?
Go to Top of Page

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - May 10 2017 :  8:58:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would think that there would be no need for a printed sign on this camera if it were meant for training in an aircraft that was flying in a manner to produce weightlessness since the sign reads that it is prohibited from opening the camera and removing the cassette during weightlessness. To train a prospective Cosmonaut not to open it? And if it were just being tested for use in zero gravity, the warning would not be necessary either.

I know the space cameras that were used fairly well. This is an example of someone trying to increase the value of the camera. In reality, as other members have said, it is an aeronautical camera for aircraft reconnaissance. Not for the space program.

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4236 Posts
My Collection

Posted - May 12 2017 :  11:46:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry for an absence, gentlemen, it is definitely an AFA camera for a strategic bomber, I agree with Bill and Zoom, the sign looks fake to me as well.. paint is weird too, and look at how edges of the sign are handpainted around... someone did it to increase the value.

This is really not a camera for manual operation, it is meant to be installed in a chamber (like a bombing hatch) that opens to the outside to take zoomed in pictures of the landscape, which is how it is normally used in the aircraft. I'm pretty sure with this zoom factor you can't use it handheld and you wouldn't want to, especially inside the aircraft. But in space this camera makes little sense as if it is mounted for example on side of a Soyuz module, the zoom factor is not enough to take any kind of detailed photographs from that altitude. We're talking 250 miles altitude of ISS space station orbit versus 10 miles altitude for strategic bombers.. makes no sense to me of what use this camera would be in space.

Cheers,
Vlad
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4236 Posts
My Collection

Posted - May 12 2017 :  3:37:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've cross-posted this camera into a Russian VK camera discussion group, and someone made a great observation that this camera has transparent Plexiglas panels, as it's a training camera, used for learning in a classroom possibly in a military school. So the idea is this is a decommissioned aircraft camera. The sign may have been added later or not.. also was noted that spy planes in certain cases experienced weightlessness so it's possible it is for that.. but probably not a "Space" camera .

Cheers,
Vlad
Go to Top of Page
Scott Schneeweis
schneesb
USA
10 Posts
My Collection

Posted - May 12 2017 :  3:52:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit schneesb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Copy all..thanks Vlad!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google