Located in
Still Cameras > Kiev / Arsenal - Kiev Rangefinder

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Vladislav Kern
Vlad

USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Oct 14 2017 :  11:51:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A proof that Kiev No-Name was made for USA market. Thanks to Andre Ty for the info.

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/14102017_kiev_no_name.jpg

Cheers,
Vlad
sean perry
seany65
United Kingdom
313 Posts
Posted - Nov 02 2017 :  7:15:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
interesting. I read the advert and according to them, a customer of theirs said "It's a real Protax!". I was curious about this and I did a search for 'Protax cameras' and 'protax' (in a 'protax' was not a camera brand but was a make/model of something that was considered good at the time). It appears that 'Protax' is a brand of digital cameras. It also seems that 'Protax' also make some of those toy cameras that are meant to look like SLR's but that have a simple non-reflex viewfinder, a range of apertures that start at f6.3 and have a curved film plane.

I'm wondering what a 'protax' was and where, when, how and why 'Protax' was at some point considered to be a good thing>
Go to Top of Page
SteveA
United Kingdom
129 Posts
Posted - Nov 03 2017 :  05:17:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking at it, this camera appears to be a type 2 Kiev 4a, c1974 - 1980 according to Princelle; the advert itself mentions the year 1982 and Kiev 4A. Again according to Princelle, 1963 was the only year for the 'no-name' Kiev.
Looks like a clever bit of marketing/branding by Cambridge Camera - suspect the 'Pro' refers to the list of pro's in the advert. Seems they have wiped the 'Kiev' name off the face - I think that line is the very bottom of the KNEB/Kiev logo :)
Go to Top of Page
Jacques M.
France
2575 Posts
Posted - Nov 03 2017 :  11:18:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

1963 and 1964, for the "no name" Kievs, as far as I know. 1963 with Sonnars and 1964 with Jup 8.
For the rest, I share your doubts, Steve.

Amitiés. Jacques.
Go to Top of Page

Ulrich W.
uwittehh
Germany
811 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Nov 03 2017 :  4:42:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit uwittehh's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My No Name from 1963 was fitted with a 1,5/50 Sonnar. And the camera does not have the ugly "occupied germany" engravings on the back :-)

Ulrich

http://fotos.cconin.de
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google