Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Raymond Giambuzzi
ray j gun

USA
5 Posts
Posted - Jan 04 2008 :  1:06:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there a quality difference between the Fed and Zorki brands? I am interested in an early version of the cameras. I presently use a mint Leica IIIc and would like to reduce the wear on that rig.

Thanks!!!

Ray
okynek
759 Posts
Posted - Jan 04 2008 :  2:58:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe this is only matter of personal preferences.
I really like early FEDs. I believe they are made better then cameras after WWII.
And more.... Just to think that camera you holding in you hands made 70 years ago by others small hands of orphans, which parents was killed during revolution, which was saved by Communist government, which later raze up to protect this government against Hitler occupation, and which more likely was killed during WWII or after it, by Stalin purges .... this cameras are more then a collector's peas... they have to be keapt in golden boxes.

Edited by - okynek on Jan 04 2008 4:39:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 04 2008 :  5:06:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For a good workhorse with results comparable to Leica, I would probably recommend a FED-2d or FED-2L.

Not sure if it's early enough for you, these are from 50-60s
Vlad.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 04 2008 :  8:07:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote

I like the FED-1 better, also because of the history, but Zorki-1 is good too, and both feel like a Leica and give good results.

I think, especially if you want to use your Leitz lenses on a FED body, that it might be best to buy one that is made just after WW II. This is because the lens thread for after the war FEDs will match the Leica thread, but the pre-war FED has a slightly different thread (M39, but a slightly different distance between threads).

An early Zorki will fit your Leitz lenses fine since they are all made post-war.

With either FED or Zorki, it would be a good idea the have the camera cleaned, lubricated, and adjusted, which will make it feel smoother and more like a Leica.

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page
Yuri Boguslavsky
fedka
USA
240 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 04 2008 :  9:53:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit fedka's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For a user I always prefer and recommend a Zorki (we are talking about original FED and Zorki, i.e. FED 1 and Zorki 1).
I always believed that KMZ was generally a better factory than FED. And lens compatibility is alwasy better with the Zorki.

FED has historic value, especially prewar models. But there are problems using newer lenses on prewar and early postwar FEDs. FED shutters (postwar) are louder and clunkier than Zorki's.
Go to Top of Page
Raymond Giambuzzi
ray j gun
USA
5 Posts
Posted - Jan 04 2008 :  11:26:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for your responses!! Excellent information. This an excellent resource and I hope to contribute in the future.

R
Go to Top of Page

Juhani Halmeenmaki
cedricfan
Finland
1013 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 05 2008 :  01:40:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit cedricfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Neither FED nor Zorki. The correct choice is Leningrad. Suberb finder, great looks, and the lovely winder!

http://www.cedricfan.sivut.ws/Juhani's%20website%20ORIGINAALIT/
Go to Top of Page
Yuri Boguslavsky
fedka
USA
240 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 05 2008 :  08:46:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit fedka's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Leningrad is surely the fanciest Soviet made camera. I had several, still have two, bought them, sold them... never shot anything. I never felt in control of this camera.
Go to Top of Page
okynek
759 Posts
Posted - Jan 05 2008 :  6:21:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See now, ray j gun, it all only matter or preferences . Some preferred FED some Zorki, some other cameras. The matter of the fact is: if camera working after 50 years in uses, then it must be a good camera. You can not make a bad choice. Just make sure that you buying from reputable seller. Too many junk cameras selling on eBay. Really easy to burn on. Ask questions before you buy. And try KIEVs you will not be disappointed.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google