Collectors and Users Open Forum
 FED-2 early user manual
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
zcetrt
45 Posts
Posted - Feb 04 2018 :  06:45:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi. I just acquired Fed-2 preseries with serial no. 000679 together with a user manual. Additional trigger to buy this camera was also a fact I own the Fed-2 serial no. 000004 which now has a good company.

However, I also find the user manual illustrations very interesting.

1) On the title page the rangefinder window is kind of smudged - it looks round, despite it should be either stamped square or screwed on square. It gives me an impression that the original photo / drawing was manipulated. In addition, perspective doesn't look correct (see the front of the lens in comparison to the body orientation).

2) All other illustrations clearly show stamped square rangefinder window.

3) Look at the shutter release collar - it's of a conical shape. I've not seen such collar yet. The serial number shown on the illustration is 000012.

4) Here a serial number 000003 is shown, however, the illustration doesn't show the film rewind switch as my 000004 camera has. Maybe it was removed to not confuse the reader, maybe it wasn't there on the 000003 camera at all.

5) However, other differences between illustrations of 000003 and 000012 cameras match differences I spotted on 000004 and 000679 cameras I own: Bigger viewfinder window and different position of the rangefinder calibration screw compared to the logo engraving.

6) The user manual contained an error that was fixed with gluing piece of paper on top of it.

I hope you find this stuff interesting. I'll be glad to hear your thoughts, additional findings and contribution in form of user manuals you own or another early FED-2 camera for a comparison.

Alfa2
Poland
349 Posts
Posted - Feb 09 2018 :  12:46:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello zcetrt.
Thanks for sharing this intersting stuff.
For me interesting is not user manual but your FED 2 number 000004.
I have one FED 2 made in preseries but its serial is much higher than serial of your both FEDs 2.
Could you share photos of your 000004 FED 2 please ?
Go to Top of Page
zcetrt
45 Posts
Posted - Feb 09 2018 :  12:52:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, thanks!

My FED-2 is shown on sovietcams.com and this form on links below:
http://ussrphoto.com/Wiki/default.asp?WikiCatID=99&ParentID=1&ContentID=1624&Item=FED%2D2 Preseries %2F prototype

http://ussrphoto.com/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2703&SearchTerms=fed-2,000004
Go to Top of Page

Alfa2
Poland
349 Posts
Posted - Feb 09 2018 :  1:30:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yor FED 2 is really fantastic.
I can see it had been discussed before I joined the forum.
Thanks for the links.
Go to Top of Page
Jacques M.
France
2554 Posts
Posted - Feb 10 2018 :  09:54:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

I had the same booklet with an early preseries Fed 2, now resold.
It seems that the factory hesitated some time before deciding which version would be the running one. If not, these early booklets would not have been printed. Note too that Princelle, in his book, shows that same booklet (p 102, second edition). And he shows too some early prototypes on the same page.

Certainly the factory made the good choice with the final "type a" and its rangefinder regulated by the outside.

But thanks for this booklet. And for your prototype! Much more thrilling than the running production!

Amitiés. Jacques.

Edited by - Jacques M. on Feb 10 2018 09:55:57 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google