Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Jacques M.
France
2584 Posts
Posted - Jan 12 2008 :  08:42:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hello,

Always questions about Fed 1s...
What about the 1s between # c184000 and c206000?
I certainly never saw one, if I except some very rare NKAP/Red Flag between 200000 and 201800. And the cameras till # 220000 are not so common.
Near 20000 camera lost, it's too much even in relation with the 712000 (or some) cameras made...
An explanation: the factory renumbered from 200000 after WW2, and probably in 1947, after having made the Berdsk.

OK.

I noticed that some Leica fakes -those visibly made from 1d or 1f: no difference between the two except the release button- often have numbers between 190000 and 210000. Just the numbers where it's almost impossible to find a Fed!

Coincidence? Of course!
But where are exactly the missing Feds?

Your opinion?

Amicalement. Jacques.
PS: of course, these numbers correspond to 1936 true genuine Leica IIs!

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 12 2008 :  11:39:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am very curious to which Leica copies are you referring to... the old ones or the modern ones? Because if it's the old ones, it's possible that the missing serial FEDs were manufactured just for this particular reason - to make fake Leicas to be sold outside of USSR in effort to saturate the market with fakes and destabilize the western economy. I have heard this theory somewhere from someone...

Vlad
Go to Top of Page
John Demastrie
uccmmcpo
USA
92 Posts
Posted - Jan 12 2008 :  11:46:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vlad

I am very curious to which Leica copies are you referring to... the old ones or the modern ones? Because if it's the old ones, it's possible that the missing serial FEDs were manufactured just for this particular reason - to make fake Leicas to be sold outside of USSR in effort to saturate the market with fakes and destabilize the western economy. I have heard this theory somewhere from someone...

Vlad

It`s hard for me to to imagine that fake camera sales would ever destabilize any western economy .
John
Go to Top of Page
Jacques M.
France
2584 Posts
Posted - Jan 12 2008 :  11:50:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hi Vlad,
I'm referring to the old ones, the ones with a Leica like release button.
Really thanks for the theory that I didn't know. It would explain why it's impossible to find a Fed in those numbers. I was not too far with my joke (but it was not only a joke!).

Amitiés. Jacques.
Go to Top of Page

Aidas Pikiotas
AidasCams
Lithuania
973 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 12 2008 :  12:38:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit AidasCams's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vlad

Vlad

Go to Top of Page
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo
Brazil
1981 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 12 2008 :  12:45:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Vlad
Very improbable theory...
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 12 2008 :  2:14:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As I said something I heard, most likely not true .
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 14 2008 :  1:51:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Also another theory I heard that they made in the old days Feicas so KGB or other Soviet agents abroad could use their FEDs to photograph their subjects without raising any suspicions of why they use Soviet cameras... which I'm also somewhat skeptical about... sounds like a tale the sellers tell to sell the fake Leicas :) Any time you attach a word "KGB" to a camera it triples in price.

Vlad.
Go to Top of Page
Jacques M.
France
2584 Posts
Posted - Jan 14 2008 :  2:12:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

On my Feica n° 199132 (Fed 1d or f), I have a fake Summar (n° 690233) true 2/50 Fed (n° 21488).
Then, I'm rich?

Amitiés. Jacques.
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 14 2008 :  4:43:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It depends if you claim that it was used by KGB
Go to Top of Page
Jacques M.
France
2584 Posts
Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  11:04:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Well...
What about the original question: where are hidden Fed 1 between c.184000 and c.210000?
Do you own, have you seen one of them?

Thanks. Jacques.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  3:52:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jacques,
I think it may be as you say .... after the war, starting with NKAP, they started at 200,000. So, no units after last Berdsk and that.

Then, after KNAP, maybe there was some political change in the management of FED (which caused them to drop the KNAP logo), and which may have been that the factory was no longer part of the Peoples Commissariat of the Aeronautical Industry (KNAP) and became independent of the military, they started with a new group of serial numbers, maybe for example 210,000, to differentiate the different productions.

The missing groups seem to be when there was a major physical or political management change at the factory. Also, after KNAP model, there were major improvements in finish and quality as the manufacturing equipment was added and improved and the quality control got back to normal after the war confusion, disruption and disarray.

Just my best guess from reading the histories of FED and knowing these models.

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google