Collectors and Users Open Forum
 Green Zorki 1B ?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
okynek
759 Posts
Posted - Jan 27 2008 :  2:58:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The story goes that in 1996 friend of my friend went to Moscow to see the city and got himself a souvenir – old Zorki camera.
He find recently that I collecting Russian cameras and give it to me as a good will gesture. It appears to be nice working Zorkiy-Zorki type-B camera with s/n 31869, built in 1950?. Desirable, but far from rare camera.
Overtime shiny black paint on the camera’s body (residue from Arbat make over) start to pill off, and under it begging to appear green vulcanite, very much like on green FED2. I never hear about true green Zorki. So can anyone tell me what is going on? I wish I can tell that I discovered green Zorki, but on this stage it hard to tell if this vulcanite is really green or it discolored overtime becoming look-like green. You can see the contrast between pilled black paint and original vulcanite on the pictures.

Edited by - okynek on Jan 27 2008 9:07:33 PM

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 27 2008 :  9:34:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote

I have seen this before on well worn vulcanite on FED-1 and FED-2 cameras. I think it must be the natural color of the substance, without black coloring, or how it gets with wear. The green color is rarely evenly distributed.

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page
Jacques M.
France
2584 Posts
Posted - Jan 28 2008 :  04:52:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Okynek,
I have never seen green Zorkis: this colour is probably due to wear.
1933 Leicas turn to brown in the same conditions...
Three of my Fed 1b are green, but it's rather a dark olive chemically obtained, I think.

Amitiés. Jacques.

Edited by - Jacques M. on Jan 28 2008 07:21:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

Aidas Pikiotas
AidasCams
Lithuania
973 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 28 2008 :  07:00:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit AidasCams's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Okynek,

My Zorki-1b #41553 has the same body colour ...

Regards,
Aidas

Go to Top of Page
okynek
759 Posts
Posted - Jan 28 2008 :  09:49:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you guys for responses!
I was expecting that time and ware taking it tall, plus chemicals of later paint possibly react with old vulcanite make it pale green or olive.
So most likely no green Zorki yet :(
What I like to do is to take old paint off completely.
I thinking to use ultrasonic bath, (the devise for cleaning jewelry). They sell at Walmart for around $30.
I wonder if anyone used such method (widely accepted in auto industry) to clean camera parts?
Can such cleaning destroy vulcanite before it destroyed paint? What chemicals should I use? As I discovered old paint came off using alcohol. In auto industry they use detergents. I’m not sure what used for jewelry.
Any other ways how to get rid of old paint?
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jan 28 2008 :  10:16:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You could try non-acetone nail polish remover. I've removed some paints with it, although not on vulcanite, apply to small area first to test..

Vlad
Go to Top of Page
okynek
759 Posts
Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  10:16:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Vlad! I'll try it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page