Located in
Still Cameras > Kiev / Arsenal - Kiev SLR

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo

Brazil
1981 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Feb 27 2008 :  10:31:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bill
This camera is in exceptionally good condition. My contgratulations in obtaining one of these very early version.
This camera differs from Hasselblad in the 1500 speed (Hasselblad had 1600) and in a built-in self timer taken from Kiev 2/3, so the side under the advancing knob needed to be enlarged. Extreme complex mechanical arrangement. The shape although was kept in subsequent models. This is one of the longest living camera. It has more than 50 years of continous production.
It was first shown to western people at the Brussel's fair in 1958.
The most interesting detail is the 58mm deep sunshade built in the Industar 29 -It holds 40.5mm filters near the lens .
Regards

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Feb 27 2008 :  10:53:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Hi Luiz,
Thanks and I do like this camera very much. I looked for a long time to get one of the early ones in good condition. Although it was working very good when I got it, it has now jammed (can't wind it, mirror is down, shutter button is stuck, self timer works but will not trip shutter).
So, I would like to put the camera back to working condition. Do you, or anyone know a good place to send it?

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Feb 27 2008 :  10:59:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yuri (fedka) probably has some people in NY who can fix that...

Vlad
Go to Top of Page
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo
Brazil
1981 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Feb 27 2008 :  11:21:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Vlad
If you did not force on anything and the curtain rolls and strings are ok, It will only be needed a relub in the gears of the camera bottom first with WD40 and after cleaning with destilled Benzine (for watch cleaning purposes) . With care You can remove the black skirts around the inner of the body, first removing finder hood and screen. The mechanics will be imediatly shown for repair. The mirror in insensible for the chemestry but not the plastic screen.
Regards
Go to Top of Page

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Feb 27 2008 :  11:30:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Thanks Luiz and Vlad.

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page
Steve
Bull Halsey
USA
229 Posts
Posted - Feb 27 2008 :  3:02:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,
I also have one in the box. It's fully operating and came with a couple filters and an extra magazine all packed in its leather compartment case. When Vlad came over to my home I went digging for it and couldn't find it so fast. After he left I dug some more and found it.
The problem I discovered was that half the leather covering had come off. The patches of leather are in great shape, just the glue must have dried out.

Is this a common problem?

Steve
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Feb 27 2008 :  3:15:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Steve,

I always have this problem with Contax Kievs because that glue is just dries with age all the time.. I end up regluing every other one I get... the reflex Kievs are not so bad... I think it's just the one you have may have been in a very dry place for a long time...

Vlad
Go to Top of Page
BERRY alain
mermoz37
France
814 Posts
Posted - Feb 28 2008 :  08:58:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
damned....

i have this camera in very good condition, functionnal, in my collection ,but....

to day after reading Bill's message, i try to fire mine and...shutter just jamned !!!!

Now , miror down , shutter button also stuck locked .....and so , only shutter delay is OK!!!!

Go to Top of Page
BERRY alain
mermoz37
France
814 Posts
Posted - Feb 28 2008 :  09:10:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
note:
there is one for sale in "Alex" batch.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Feb 28 2008 :  2:07:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dear Alain,

I'm sorry that your old Salyut caught the exact same sickness as mine. I didn't know that cameras can catch a sickness over e-mail posts on this site! I hope both of ours get better soon.

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Feb 28 2008 :  2:45:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry Alain and Bill if it wasn't so frustrating and nerve wrecking it would almost be comical... it reminds me of this story when a guy made a bet that he can put a light bulb in his mouth, he did and he could not take it out. So he went to the doctor and doctor took it out, then the guy asks the doctor how he did it and doctor put a light bulb in his mouth to show him and then he could not take it out himself so they had to take that doctor to another doctor... so I'm sorry and no offense but Bill and you reminded me of this...

Vlad.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Feb 28 2008 :  4:42:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Vlad,
Good story ... now I think you should take your Salyut out and try it to make sure it is working ;-)

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Feb 28 2008 :  4:46:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think I'll wait a few day until yours and Alain's joojoo dissipates ;)

But seriously these cameras are pieces of junk as users, sorry to say that.. All the Salyuts and Kievs that I have either have back light leaks or shutter problems..

Vlad
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Feb 28 2008 :  4:53:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
And regarding Kievs I'm only referring to Hasselblad clones.
Go to Top of Page
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo
Brazil
1981 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Mar 01 2008 :  9:50:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Allain!
Kiev reflex 17 19 20 21
Easy repair! Carefully remove the bottom chrome pannel.
With a fine screw driver, drive out the main gear lock that is braking the gears. No needs to remove any camera part!
Carefully advance the lever . The camera will cock and fire with no pressing of the shutter button.
Now relub gear train with WD 40 or similar. Do not lub the curtains or the camera will be glued! Put the camera in a position the oil never reaches the curtaind only gears! Put camera to opwerate several times It is OK!

if the camera operates once and retains the mirror in the upper position, those kind of faults occur if the curtains are oiled or humid by being rest for a long time.

In this case, remove the lens, with extreme care pich the curtain with hfinger tips and open it to the final point .
Hold it by nail an sudden make it give a shock the impact wil put again the camera into operative way.
Now relub curtains only with colloidal graphyte never use oil!
The camera will be smooth again.
Regards
LP
Go to Top of Page
zhang
Kievuser
310 Posts
Posted - Mar 02 2008 :  09:31:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vlad

And regarding Kievs I'm only referring to Hasselblad clones.

These are very unreliable cameras. Somehow I have almost all the versions, Salyut,Salyut C,Zenit 80. Kiev 88.:-) I am waiting for a low cost digital back with a build-in shutter.
Go to Top of Page
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo
Brazil
1981 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Mar 03 2008 :  2:20:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No- These cameras are not unreliable. - They must be lubed periodicalçy and used with care . Really they are very strong mechanical cameras.
The only problem is having the removable back that creates some problems in gear couplings Use it with care and slowly advance film They will operate forever. I have three of them and never get defective. The first one I bought New with three lenses at Berioshka in Russia in 1975 and the two others I bought used in Brasil from people that sold them as useless and inoperative - Happilly no other "Repair man" touched it. All of them works fine today , and are excellent work horse I have also Hasselblad that has a lighter work but in certain pictures Vega 90mm and Volna 80mm supasses Planar optics mainly in close-up.
Regards
LP
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Mar 03 2008 :  3:20:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Luiz, my Kiev 88 misfires every other time or so... is that the problem with the back or the shutter you think?

Thanks,
Vlad.
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Mar 03 2008 :  3:32:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Also noticed that it only seems to misfire with film loaded and it makes the grinding sound in the end of the advancement, If i separate the back or fire with back but not film i could not get it ot misfire...

Vlad.
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Mar 03 2008 :  3:45:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok, another update I've been messing it with more with a dummy film in there... I've noticed that at the end of each cocking I hear grinding noise of the gear between back and the body skipping over some teeth... if I wind it very slowly it does fire the shutter, but if I do it faster it just makes a small click and shutter does not fire... also it does not advance the frame all the way I have to manually compensate with the knob on the back all the time... does this mean that I need to lubricate something in the back???

Thank you in advance, I really like this camera, the way it feels a lot and would like to actually use it sometimes.

Vlad.
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Mar 03 2008 :  3:53:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes another update: ... sorry I decided to tackle this problem. The gear piece in the body that moves the back gears is a half-gear.. and I've noticed that the 5 teeth on the end of the wind are shorted, and I think that is the grinding sound that hear that it does not have enough grasp on gears in the back. Before I take apart the back and ruin the camera forever, how can this be remedied?
Thanks,
Vlad
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google