Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Don Gillette
dgillette4

USA
202 Posts
Posted - Mar 01 2008 :  12:22:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was thinking of adding one to the lens collection of my Zorki and wonder if the Jupiter9 that's supposed to be redioactive is really as bad as they say? Would it possess a health hazard? Don
okynek
759 Posts
Posted - Mar 01 2008 :  5:48:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
redioactive ??? Where did you get such information ?
Go to Top of Page
Yuri Boguslavsky
fedka
USA
240 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Mar 01 2008 :  10:35:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit fedka's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I do not think J-9 lenses are radioactive. There was hype on eBay at some point, but it then died out.
Well, maybe some J-9s got smuggled from Chernobyl or Pripyat', thouse can be hot.
But if anyone who reads this has a J-9 in leica mount and wants to get rid of it, please send me your prices, I'll buy them all.

Yuri
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4248 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Mar 02 2008 :  9:51:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I thought the only "radioactive" lens was I-61 L/D and I've used a geiger counter on it (don't ask why I have it , you'll be laughing a long time) and it has shown less radiation from the lens that there was in my room..

Vlad
Go to Top of Page
Zoom
596 Posts
Posted - Mar 03 2008 :  05:36:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dgillette4

This info was on one of the many web sites that refer to Russian lenses. They also had pictures showing the yellow discoloration caused by the Lanthum glass.

At first Jupiter-9 has not lanthanum glasses (like STK-6), only: TK-6, TK-11, O-1, TF-2, K-5, TK-11.
Industar-61 has: STK-6, F-4, LF-9, STK-6.
At second, Lanthanum is not Thorium... It is not radioactive (of course, all materials has a natural background radioactive).
At third, very many of Japanese lenses uses a lanthanum glasses, why do you not fear them? ;)
Go to Top of Page

Guido Studer
Guido
Switzerland
362 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Mar 03 2008 :  06:07:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Guido's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello

One thing about the Jupiter 9 is often remarked, they begin to have a yellow color after a certain time. This may be the cause of the myth about radioactivity.

Milos Mladek told me that he think this yellow color may come from the "cement" (sorry, I don't know no other word for that) used for fixing the lenses. In german this stuff is called "Kanadabalsam", a resin of the canadian fir tree (I hope anyone will understand this ...).

Best regards - Guido
Go to Top of Page

Juhani Halmeenmaki
cedricfan
Finland
1014 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Mar 03 2008 :  09:21:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit cedricfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Used also with microscope glasses, to glue the thin glass to the thick glass and specimen in between. So even I know what it is!

Smena rules
Go to Top of Page
BERRY alain
mermoz37
France
814 Posts
Posted - Mar 03 2008 :  10:57:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
since a long time i use a Geiger detector (soviet made !!! ) on my lenses and camera bodies (specially these coming from Ukraina )
so i never detect some radioactivity in my home collection.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google