Located in
Still Cameras > Other Cameras

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
BERRY alain
mermoz37

France
814 Posts
Posted - Mar 12 2008 :  06:49:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
which one , please can translate and inform about that camera ?
thanks in advance
alain
Zoom
596 Posts
Posted - Mar 12 2008 :  08:49:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mermoz37

please can translate and inform about that camera ?

ШТАТИВНАЯ: adjective from ШТАТИВ: stand, tripod...
ДЕРЕВЯННАЯ: wooden
ФОТОКАМЕРА: photo-camera

Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Mar 12 2008 :  10:21:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very interesting, a shutter seems to be made for military use....
Go to Top of Page
Zoom
596 Posts
Posted - Mar 12 2008 :  11:01:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vlad

Very interesting, a shutter seems to be made for military use....

Why military?...
Thornton-Pickard type curtain shutter...

From one old book "Spravochnaya kniga optiko-mekhanika" (The optic-mechanic's reference book) [ONTI, 1938, vol. 1], page 331 (I think that it is the same camera, and sorry -- without translation):

quote:
Деревянная фотокамера дорожного типа довольно высокого качества изготовляется небольшими сериями на заводе ГОМЗ. Материал -- ореховое дерево. Растяжение меха -- около 45 см. Горизонтальные и вертикальные уклоны задней рамы. Двойные деревянные кассеты. Внешнее оформление хорошее.

Edited by - Zoom on Mar 12 2008 11:10:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Mar 12 2008 :  11:10:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Zoom,

shutters usually were not sold with these wooden camera kits (в комплекте) as far as I know (I may be wrong), so it was probably packaged later with the camera or added on separately at the time of purchase.. hammer and sickle (серп и молот) usually is a Soviet Army symbol, that is why I said it was either manufactured for Army use or manufactured on factory that produced Army mechanics...

The book you quoted mentions nothing of packaged shutter...
Vlad
Go to Top of Page
Zoom
596 Posts
Posted - Mar 12 2008 :  11:17:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

shutters usually were not sold with these wooden camera kits (в комплекте) as far as I know (I may be wrong)...

It the West, not in the USSR... ;)

quote:

hammer and sickle (серп и молот) usually is a Soviet Army symbol, that is why I said it was either manufactured for Army use or manufactured on factory that produced Army mechanics...

This shutter was made by GOMZ. I think that you are right about that this camera was manufactured for using in the Red Army (for documents, for example). But this is not a 'special' military shutter, as I understood your message... ;)

Edited by - Zoom on Mar 12 2008 11:22:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Mar 12 2008 :  11:34:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh no, that is what I meant - that it was made for using in the army since shutter was marked with "Army" symbol..

With all due respect, I'm still not convinced that shutter is original to the camera... I see a lot FK and FKDs for sale all the time and own a great complete set of FKD (Kharkov made though) and none of them come with shutters... they are all "птичка вылетет"(open/close cap by hand) cameras.. maybe GOMZ did package theirs with shutters, I know Kharkov's Minpribororgtekhnika (I think that's the name) did not, I guess further research needed... Does the book you mention says anything about shutter anywhere else?

Thanks Zoom
Vlad.
Go to Top of Page
Zoom
596 Posts
Posted - Mar 12 2008 :  12:40:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

...I'm still not convinced that shutter is original to the camera...

You were marked on the Army-mark... Army is the distinctness and the order. An army camera must have a shutter. ;)

quote:

Does the book you mention says anything about shutter anywhere else?

Yes. It characteristics and pictures...
But it is simple: Thornton-Pickard shutters were very common:
http://www.google.com/search?q=Thornton+Pickard+shutter
Go to Top of Page

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Mar 12 2008 :  5:11:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote

I suspect that the shutter may have been included with the camera during wartime (maybe 1942-1945) by GOMZ, since the shutter on Alain's camera has not only the Soviet Army markings but also a GOMZ marking on it.

As Zoom has said, the Soviet Army would of course need shutters for their cameras for accurate exposures in military photography. So, I would guess (but I don't know for sure) that GOMZ may have copied exactly, and produced, a Thornton-Pickard shutter specifically for Soviet Army use.

The camera looks to be the standard FK 13x18 made by GOMZ at this time and probably the standard instruction manual, that Alain has, was included with the Soviet Army version which only differed from the normal version by the addition of the shutter.

The manual says "Leningrad" but shows a GOMZ logo on the back, so the camera is from GOMZ and not "Leningrad Zavod" and is called the Leningrad FK 13x18 to differentiate from other FK cameras made in Moscow or Kharkov.

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page
mike
sovietcam
Switzerland
105 Posts
Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  4:34:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have found in a military book (1956) over landscape photography (only army) this shutter and camera!
when this shutter is a copy from a thornton-pickard shutter, then became the red army this shutter over lend-lease in ww2. it gives many confirmed reports for cameras over lend-lease, but no information over type and units of cameras.

shutter

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/013.JPG

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/014.JPG

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/015.JPG

camera

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/016.JPG

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/017.JPG

regards
mike

Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  8:43:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike! Great find!!

In regards to this thread it does provide indisputable evidence of the contents of the military use FK kit!

To just translate that section (the rest if technical descriptions of inner workings of shutter and rangefinder systems):

Contents of the camera kit:
Camera 13x18
Wooden tripod
Wooden cassettes
Curtain Shutter GOMZ
Industar-4 Lens
Light filters
Leather lens cap
Waterproof fabric case for tripod
Camera case

It also says this:

"With this camera you can do reproduction work for maps, forms, etc. Take images of artillery kill zones, samples of captured enemy weaponry (!?) and make photographs to be used in military reports. "

The rest as I said is technical stuff, nothing new..

So I stand corrected in regards to shutter not being part of the kit.

Mike, thanks again for this invaluable information!
Vlad
Go to Top of Page
mike
sovietcam
Switzerland
105 Posts
Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  4:06:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
to vlad:

wonderful to help.
question to the manual! i have many military manuels for cameras, airplanes... i have never see a logo or a factory name in this manuels and all manuals have a simple envelope. gives it military manuels with logo or factory name?
question to the fk: i have also a military fk, also without nameplate. gives fk with this plate?

to alain:

I would be interested, what has the industar-4 for a serialnumber? has the lens a military logo? and gives it numbers on glass elements?

regards
mike
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google