Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Vladislav Kern
Vlad

USA
4236 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Apr 25 2008 :  2:45:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Getting ready here for a camera show and I'm trying to mount a Zenit 3, Kristal or any other M39 SLR on my early M39 MTO-1000 lens and have the whole thing also reside on a tripod, but I'm having issues with the thread mount... The cameras end up being diagonally on their side, kind of upside down... here's what happens:

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/DSC_9709.JPG

What can I do?? Is my lens messed up or it's a design flaw?

Thanks,
Vlad.
Yuri Boguslavsky
fedka
USA
239 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Apr 25 2008 :  3:03:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit fedka's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Vlad,
I have to look at it at home with my MTO, but the mount has to be adjustable. There should be some set screws that you loosen, turn the camera and then tighten.

Yuri
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4236 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Apr 25 2008 :  3:34:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yura, you were right, seems like the whole housing ring that attaches to the tripod can be loosened the the lens rotated within it to level the camera. Fixed it!!! Thank you!!!

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/DSC_9717.JPG

Vlad
Go to Top of Page
Yuri Boguslavsky
fedka
USA
239 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Apr 25 2008 :  3:47:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit fedka's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There is something inherently sexy in a MTO-1000... Especially the older one.
If you want even cooler look, try the original Zenit, it is smaller than 3M:-)

Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4236 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Apr 25 2008 :  3:53:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I put a Kristal on it actually for the camera show, the original Zenit is being screwed on to the main display fixture that I will have at the show. I do not want to post picture of it before the show so not to ruin the suspense of my private selection that will be displayed there but after the show I will post a little article with pictures and my experiences ... so unfortunately the original Zenit is currently indisposed
Go to Top of Page
okynek
759 Posts
Posted - Apr 25 2008 :  4:33:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
There is something inherently sexy in a MTO-1000...

If this is sexy then what can you say about ....

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/TOZ-500.jpg

picture from: http://www.photohistory.ru/35mm-TeleLens.html

Edited by - okynek on Apr 25 2008 4:34:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4236 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Apr 25 2008 :  4:35:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's definitely bigger in diameter I got the same Kristal mounted on the MTO-1000, so good reference points for comparison... man this is a huge lens!
Go to Top of Page
Don Gillette
dgillette4
USA
202 Posts
Posted - Apr 25 2008 :  8:06:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now with the weather getting warmer you can take it out and shoot some lunar photos? I sold my 10" newtonian but alas the area is so polluted with street lamps and shopping malls. I'd like to see what it can do on the moon or with a 2x extender. don

ZORKIE'S Survive
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4236 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Apr 25 2008 :  8:12:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've tried shooting with this thing today.. my tripod is quite a heavy one but obviously not heavy enough, the wind was blowing a little and I could not get a single non-fuzzy shot... very very hard to use this lens.. I had it mounted on my Nikon D80 and used a 2 second timer.

Vlad
Go to Top of Page
Yuri Boguslavsky
fedka
USA
239 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Apr 25 2008 :  10:31:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit fedka's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was shooting with the same lens in 1980 when I was in college. We used this MTO-1000 with 39/42 ring and a Zenit-E.

I put it on a sturdy tripod and shot some pictures of a church located a couple of kilometers away. Very few pictures came out sharp, for the same reason as Vlad's. The key is a short exposure, and since the lens is so slow you need a lot of light and a very fast film.

It is not easy to shoot the moon either, since you need a several second exposure and the moon moves a lot in this interval.

This lens is not that useful after all, but what a magnificent device - the finish, the looks, the weight, and the wooden box... This is one of my favorite collectibles.

Yuri
Go to Top of Page

Guido Studer
Guido
Switzerland
362 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Apr 25 2008 :  11:03:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Guido's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello Yuri

quote:
Originally posted by fedka

It is not easy to shoot the moon either, since you need a several second exposure and the moon moves a lot in this interval.

Sorry, that's wrong. To shoot the moon you may use something like 1/125 seconds, aperture 8 at ISO/ASA 200. It's just an estimation and it depends from various factors.

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/00016331.jpg

This one was taken with f:5.6, t:1/100 at ISO/ASA 200 with nominal 400mm (=640mm) on a crop camera (Canon EOS 20D + Sigma 80-400 IIRC). Sorry for the poor quality ...

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/00015568.jpg

And this oune was taken with f:16, t:1/125 at ISO/ASA 200 with nominal 400mm too. The quality is not much better, I know ... There where only some tests. The one with the Tair 3 I can't find at the moment, sorry.

Best wishes - Guido

Edited by - Guido on Apr 25 2008 11:12:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4236 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Apr 25 2008 :  11:14:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Guido,

We were discussing shooting moon primarily with MTO-1000, it is hard-set at F-11 so unfortunately you're stuck at using slower speeds and at 1000mm (1500mm on digital crop) it's insanely difficult to keep it sharp..

Vlad.
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4236 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Apr 25 2008 :  11:15:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
These are great shots by the way!
Go to Top of Page

Guido Studer
Guido
Switzerland
362 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Apr 26 2008 :  01:33:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Guido's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello Vlad

quote:
Originally posted by Vlad

We were discussing shooting moon primarily with MTO-1000, it is hard-set at F-11 so unfortunately you're stuck at using slower speeds and at 1000mm (1500mm on digital crop) it's insanely difficult to keep it sharp.

Sorry Vlad, it makes not a big difference. With f/11 there is someting around 1/60 second and not "several second exposure" as Yuri wrote, that's all I tryed to say.

For shure it's hard to receive sharp pictures (as you can see at my own pictures ...). The first thing will be a massiv tripod, the next the mirror must be up first and the picture must be taken some seconds after (I don't know this functions name in english, in german it's "Spiegelvorausl鰏ung"; I don't know one of the Zenit cameras that has this feature by the way), and the last thing is to use a cable release.

Best wishes - Guido

PS: Sorry for my terrible english ... ;->
Go to Top of Page
zhang
Kievuser
310 Posts
Posted - Apr 26 2008 :  08:23:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi,

Here is an image I shot with MTO 1000A.

It is a 1100mm F10.5 lens.

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/无标题eea.jpg

Go to Top of Page
zhang
Kievuser
310 Posts
Posted - Apr 26 2008 :  08:26:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kievuser

quote:

Hi,

Here is an image I shot with MTO 1000A.

It is a 1100mm F10.5 lens.

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/无标题eea.jpg

The image.

Go to Top of Page
Yuri Boguslavsky
fedka
USA
239 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Apr 26 2008 :  09:56:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit fedka's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh well. I don't know what I did then:-)
Perhaps it is time to try my DSLR with the MTO-1000
Go to Top of Page
Don Gillette
dgillette4
USA
202 Posts
Posted - Apr 26 2008 :  10:00:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A mirror that locks up helps, also a cable release and wait about 10 seconds for the whole thing to settle down. By the way 'Those are very nice shots, You can use a 2x extender and use hypered film which raises the film speed to compensate for the 2 stop loss. Don

ZORKIE'S Survive
Go to Top of Page
William Grimmer
NWphotographer
USA
2 Posts
Posted - Apr 28 2016 :  8:21:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know this functions name in english, in german it's "Spiegelvorausl鰏ung"

English: Mirror Lock
Go to Top of Page

Juhani Halmeenmaki
cedricfan
Finland
1005 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Apr 28 2016 :  10:57:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit cedricfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mirror lock up, MLU

Best regards,
Juhani
Go to Top of Page
Lenny
496 Posts
Posted - Apr 29 2016 :  01:08:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I could adjust my old Zenits so that
pushing the release button half will move the mirror up,
pushing the release button full starts the shutter.
That gives less movement inside the camera for the shot, less shake.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google