Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Vladislav Kern
Vlad

USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - May 08 2008 :  1:14:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone, I am currently working on a classificator for Start cameras, and I am in desperate need for images of 1958 models and 1964 models to completely my sampling. The more the better! Can anyone help? Posting those here or emailing them directly to me at vladkern@particle-z.com will be very appreciated!

Thank you!

Vlad.

Aidas Pikiotas
AidasCams
Lithuania
973 Posts
My Collection

Posted - May 09 2008 :  02:01:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit AidasCams's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Vlad,

I just have sent few photos to your e-mail address. Hope this helps

Best Regards,
Aidas

Go to Top of Page
Spacetop
21 Posts
Posted - May 09 2008 :  12:44:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Aidas, it looks like I have now all the necessary information now..

One question to everyone here is, I've encountered an anomaly in my sample, but I think this maybe a modification or a result of a repair.. what do you think? Look at 2 screws by the self-timer.

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/358793831.jpg

Go to Top of Page
Spacetop
21 Posts
Posted - May 09 2008 :  12:46:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The serial # of this 2-screw model is 6008611 where 6006176 and 6106880 (2 samples above and below) do not have it. Does anyone have any cameras within that serial # range to confirm?

Thanks!
Vlad.
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - May 09 2008 :  12:47:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ooops sorry was logged in as my test account "Spacetop" .. Spacetop = Vlad
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - May 11 2008 :  12:33:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's my first draft of the Start Classificator (I don't think there is such a word though ). It's in an image form, I found it easier to work with... due to my inexperience please do let me know if you see any discrepancies - this is derived from a sample of about 16 cameras from 1958 to 1964..

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/starttypes.jpg

thanks,
Vlad
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - May 11 2008 :  12:39:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
damn.. shot myself in the foot there.. the image is tall so it resized automatically on the forum.. but I think it's still readable...

Vlad.
Go to Top of Page

Aidas Pikiotas
AidasCams
Lithuania
973 Posts
My Collection

Posted - May 11 2008 :  01:42:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit AidasCams's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Vlad,

Great source - many thanks! I'd like to say in addition, that existing for sure export Start in Type-1.

Regards,
Aidas
Go to Top of Page
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo
Brazil
1981 Posts
My Collection

Posted - May 11 2008 :  06:07:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Fantastic Vlad!
Know that there are at least three versions of the Helios 44 Automatic lens.
regards LP
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - May 11 2008 :  1:23:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you all, but I don't think it's complete yet, as I was pointed out by some people there are still additional variations and details I've omitted by accident (like serial #s in different spots) so I will keep working on it...

Luiz: it's extremely hard to fit lenses into classificator because a lot of models I've looked at had switched lenses so it's very unreliable to put which lens came with which one for sure..
Go to Top of Page
zhang
Kievuser
310 Posts
Posted - May 17 2008 :  12:26:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vlad

Thank you all, but I don't think it's complete yet, as I was pointed out by some people there are still additional variations and details I've omitted by accident (like serial #s in different spots) so I will keep working on it...

Luiz: it's extremely hard to fit lenses into classificator because a lot of models I've looked at had switched lenses so it's very unreliable to put which lens came with which one for sure..

Vlad,

I posted some images of my 5800xxx camera sometime ago. Did you deleted those images?

Zhang
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - May 18 2008 :  12:38:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Zhang,

I've been looking but cannot find it.. I will go through images manually at some point but I need to do this at the server level.. will take me a bit.. but I do remember you posting these now, thanks at least it gives me an extra '58 model to compare..

Vlad
Go to Top of Page

Aidas Pikiotas
AidasCams
Lithuania
973 Posts
My Collection

Posted - May 20 2008 :  10:09:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit AidasCams's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.ussrphoto.com/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=233
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - May 20 2008 :  10:17:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you Aidas! It was an external image link and it was removed at Photobucket, no wonder I could not find it! also reminds me I gotta move these turret pictures Alain posted in that thread into the catalog, I'm not sure if they are there already...

Zhang, do you by any chance still have those images? It would be really helpful!

Thanks,
Vlad
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jun 17 2008 :  5:23:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's the latest updated version, still missing images for the Type 1 Export model.

Go to Top of Page
zhang
Kievuser
310 Posts
Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  02:31:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thank you Aidas! It was an external image link and it was removed at Photobucket, no wonder I could not find it! also reminds me I gotta move these turret pictures Alain posted in that thread into the catalog, I'm not sure if they are there already...

Zhang, do you by any chance still have those images? It would be really helpful!

Thanks,
Vlad

Hi. Vlad,

I just saw this messaage. Sorry for late reply. I still have this early 1958 Start. I will take some images and post here FYI.
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  10:38:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you Zhang, but before you do that, first check your Start against classificator, if it falls exactly under one of the types described then you don't have to post pictures, but if it is a different variation I would love to see it.

Thanks!
Vlad
Go to Top of Page

Davide Cavallaro
California
Italy
9 Posts
Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  11:34:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Vlad,
I have some pictures (sadly only the pics, I sold the camera last year ) of a type 2A2 Start but with S/N 6212398. In your classificator you start the model 2B from 1961, so I think this may be not correct
If you are interested, I can send you those pics.
I have also some pics of a nice 2B1 (export) with the waste-level finder in place of pentaprism.
Again, if you are interested...
Bye
Davide
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  12:08:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Davide!

Thank you for this information, it must mean that they were still making 2A2 in parallel or mixed with 2B (hang-down lever) still in 1962... Does yours have ALL characteristics of 2A2 model? Or just the stay-on-top lever?

So it should probably read for 2A2 (1960-1962). Here's a 2B model from 1961 (so I think that's still stays correct):

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/361138613_3.jpg

Go to Top of Page

Davide Cavallaro
California
Italy
9 Posts
Posted - Jun 19 2008 :  07:17:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vlad, in my opinion it's definitely a 100% 2A2 type, here it is:

Go to Top of Page
zhang
Kievuser
310 Posts
Posted - Jun 19 2008 :  09:24:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thank you Zhang, but before you do that, first check your Start against classificator, if it falls exactly under one of the types described then you don't have to post pictures, but if it is a different variation I would love to see it.

Thanks!
Vlad

O.K. I will check. But I would like to mention that the early ones has a light brown leather case that is different from those made in early 1960's.
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jun 19 2008 :  12:51:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Davide! Very interesting, it IS 2A2... even the button on the back is still there.. how odd! I will update the classificator with new date range.

Zhang: thanks for that info.. I think here I'll just be sticking to camera bodies only at this point...

Vlad
Go to Top of Page

Aidas Pikiotas
AidasCams
Lithuania
973 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  06:54:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit AidasCams's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Vlad,

Great job! But to be more precise, you should refer to year 1956 as the date of prototype Start (type 0). Below you will see a picture from Sovietskoe Foto magazine. issued in 1957 ...

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/start_1957.jpg

Best Regards,
Aidas
Go to Top of Page

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  09:57:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Vlad,
I believe the substance covering the knobs of the earlier versions of Start is plexi-glass or clear plastic, not glass.

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  1:00:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you both for corrections, I will update the file tonight! Aidas thanks for cleaner photo of this early camera, so what the heck is this thing on front above the lens, anyone has any ideas?

Vlad.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  1:44:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would guess it's a sliding button to release the locking mechanism for the lens or maybe the prism housing ?

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo
Brazil
1981 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  7:54:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Note the speed dial also coverd by a plexiglas viewer. This denotes a different form of changing speeds! And non rotating external dial!
Similar to Contax S, D?
LP
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  8:39:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good eye Luiz! I will add it to the file! Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  8:46:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok, here is the updated file once more.. if you guys see no other problems I will make a wiki entry with it.

Thanks!
Vlad
Go to Top of Page
zhang
Kievuser
310 Posts
Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  8:52:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Zhang,

I've been looking but cannot find it.. I will go through images manually at some point but I need to do this at the server level.. will take me a bit.. but I do remember you posting these now, thanks at least it gives me an extra '58 model to compare..

Vlad

Vlad,

Here I find some details on my 5800366 Start.

1. Screws on removable finder and trace of hand finishing.
2. No arrow on aperture nob, and dull chrome plating. Lens s/n 0003929.
3. No'Made in USSR'.

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/DSCN2802.JPG

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/DSCN2803.JPG

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/DSCN2804.JPG

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/DSCN2805.JPG

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/DSCN2806.JPG

Go to Top of Page
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo
Brazil
1981 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jun 21 2008 :  7:45:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
At:
http://www.ussrphoto.com/Wiki/default.asp?WikiCatID=66&ParentID=4&ContentID=923&Item=Rio+de+Janeiro+1960+Cameras

is a demonstrative leaflet of Start camera.
All cameras came with a transient ring M39x1 made to recieve Zenit lenses.
Original accessories: -Pentaprism, -Hood finder, -An special extension rings set composed of two adapters and four Zenit rings - An extra and difficult to find pentaprism with expoure meter, inherited from "Iskra", as the second version of "Kristall-2".
Go to Top of Page

Aidas Pikiotas
AidasCams
Lithuania
973 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jul 18 2008 :  05:17:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit AidasCams's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,

some comments about my Start #5800867:

1. The particular camera comes with black Helios-44 lens (#0057339);
2. Camera comes with already new GOST shutter settings (!);
3. Different design of rewind knob (see picture below);
4. Still no black arrow engraved beside rewind knob (see same picture).

The particular camera was compared with another early Start #5902313, which is type 1B2 according to Vlad's classificator. My Start 1958 should be type 1B1, but as said above it has new GOST already ...

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/P7010057rsz.jpg

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/P7010072rsz.jpg

Best Regards,
Aidas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google