Lubitel 166 Olympic frame spacing problems
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tom Yeshuah
Tom Yeshuah

Israel
24 Posts
Posted - May 08 2008 :  3:24:11 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Tom Yeshuah's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello,

I happen to have the Lubitel 166 Olympic with the automatic winding/cocking knob. Winding the knob advances the film, then with mure resistance cocks the shutter. The problem is the whole cycle advances half a frame for each winding, (also shows on the automatic counter). I have taken apart the winding mechanism but haven't found and way of making it mind more than half a frame at a time (not enough gears), although it looks as there are no missing parts.
Has anybody encountered such problem?

Thank You.

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4236 Posts
My Collection

Posted - May 08 2008 :  3:27:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have you tried it with film?

Please see this thread:
http://www.ussrphoto.com/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=570

Vlad
Go to Top of Page

Tom Yeshuah
Tom Yeshuah
Israel
24 Posts
Posted - May 08 2008 :  3:33:13 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Tom Yeshuah's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yes, with film but I will try again according to the other thread. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Tom Yeshuah
Tom Yeshuah
Israel
24 Posts
Posted - May 08 2008 :  3:55:50 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Tom Yeshuah's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Even with film it continues to advance only half a turn and it is visible: stopping between frame numbers in the counter. The spring loaded wheel in the lower film compartment turns but something else is not working.
Go to Top of Page
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo
Brazil
1959 Posts
My Collection

Posted - May 09 2008 :  6:38:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tom
Try to remove the side plate that covers the counter mechanics.
Lub it wit WD40 or similar .This fault happens when the camera stays long time without operation.
Tell us after. Only dismantle if you know what to do.
Any asks, direct them to me. Do not hesitate.
regards and good luck
LP
Go to Top of Page
xya
France
154 Posts
Posted - Feb 05 2022 :  2:09:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dug up this thread as I bought one of these cameras, obviously in a very good state of appearance. Unfortunately the counter works perfectly, but the film advance stops after half a turn, as described above. So this seems to be a common fault with this special series. I have tried to get around it. For the moment I have advanced, put the cap over the lens, released and then advanced again until the next number shows. I just put the film into a developping tank. Within the next 2 days I will have the results and report back.

I will not be able to open the side plate, this exceeds my skills. There is a pin on the bottom of the camera which is pressed in by the back cover when it is closed. I suppose that this pin should release the film advance from half turn to the real spacing. The pin pushes in as it should, but the advance is still blocked after half turn. Any suggestions are welcome.

www.a7camera.com www.120folder.com www.instantphoto.eu www.135compact.com www.oddcameras.com
www.subcompactcam.com

Edited by - xya on Feb 05 2022 3:22:49 PM
Go to Top of Page
xya
France
154 Posts
Posted - Feb 23 2022 :  1:18:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nobody a suggestion? The film showed that the camera has a leak in the lens tube which could be repaired. But no way to get the film advance working properly. Without proper film advance the camera makes no sense....

www.a7camera.com www.120folder.com www.instantphoto.eu www.135compact.com www.oddcameras.com
www.subcompactcam.com
Go to Top of Page
xya
France
154 Posts
Posted - Mar 25 2022 :  4:15:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi folks,

still no ideas or suggestions? Meanwhile I bought 3 more of these, all said to be working, but no, none worked, I could send back 2. So I opened the 2 remaining ones and took out the mechanisms.

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent2/2532022_lubitel_166_olympic_IMG_20220321_142250.jpg
There is no corrosion or lack of oil. I repaired the defaults and put them back. They are still not working. I am missing something. Help would be appreciated. for more information see https://www.oddcameras.com/lubitel_166_olympic.htm at the end of the page.

www.subcompactcam.com

Edited by - xya on Mar 25 2022 4:16:19 PM
Go to Top of Page
SteveA
United Kingdom
129 Posts
Posted - Mar 28 2022 :  09:35:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure if many of them ever worked?? There seem to be a lot of reports of issues with them on the interweb..
Go to Top of Page
xya
France
154 Posts
Posted - May 13 2022 :  10:49:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got a another camera from Ukraine, in spite of the war devastating the country. Ukrainian Post tried hard and moved the parcel several times around the country to get it out. It arrived after more than 2 months. This camera feels a bit different. I cannot say if it is regular, but at least it works correctly. Maybe this can help you with yours.

If there is no film in the camera, winding stops after half a turn. A rock solid stop. You have to release the shutter to be able to wind again. If you put a film into the supply chamber and try to wind the film leader onto the upper spool, it still seems to stop, but against quite some friction you can wind on. Maybe there was less friction when the camera was new. After closing the back you wind on until number 1 appears. Then it stops for good. Take your photo and wind again, the first half turn is easy and arms the shutter, but again you can wind further against friction until the next number appears and it stops for good. So my camera works. If you have a camera that does the same, please confirm to me so that I can spread the information. Thank you.

www.subcompactcam.com
Go to Top of Page
xya
France
154 Posts
Posted - Jan 19 2023 :  1:00:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To finish this thread for the moment: I bought a 6th camera from a collector's heritage, this one seems to be unused. It's a 1980 model. It works fine. There is nearly the same amount of friction when winding on. So let us suppose that the friction is normal. If you have one that has no friction, please let me know.

All my findings are here https://www.oddcameras.com/lubitel_166_olympic.htm and yes, a working camera is a must-have...

www.subcompactcam.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google