Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Vladislav Kern
Vlad

USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Sep 03 2007 :  8:29:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Having Bill Parkinson (nightphoto) mention green oxidation on his Kiev camera in another thread, brings me to this topic. I may be wrong and it may really be oxidation, but this green gunk you guys are seeing on the cameras is a Russian-made polishing agent, like Brasso here in the States... I kept finding it on the cameras that got sent to me from Ukraine, and I was thinking the same thing since I never polished metal back in USSR, until my son's Russian nanny told me that they used it back in Russia all the time.. now my question is for you who know what I'm talking about, what was the name for this polisher?

Vlad.
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo
Brazil
1981 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Sep 04 2007 :  08:55:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The simplest way to remove the green gunk also called "vert-gris" is to clean with oxalic acid. They are commercilly sold in various shops.
In Brazil the best known commercial brand is Semorin but there are others. If you cannot find it, use a concentrate tomato juice. Its action is instantaneous.
LP
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Sep 04 2007 :  10:50:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I use Brasso for these same purposes here. But what that green stuff is called - I actually was talking to another photographer this morning who used this compound, he said the name for this green stuff is "Goya Paste". Just FYI.. I guess I kind of answered my own post there :).

Vlad
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Sep 04 2007 :  10:51:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tomato juice? Wow.. Didn't know that one... thanks for the cool tip!

Vlad
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google