Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Aidas Pikiotas
AidasCams

Lithuania
973 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  11:08:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit AidasCams's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,

it's my very first time to see the Zenit-TTL Fotosnaiper camera alive. Any comments?

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/P7130163.JPG

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/P7130166.JPG

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/P7130169.JPG

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/P7130170.JPG

Thanks in advance, Aidas

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  11:59:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hmm... very interesting.. it has an identical bottom plate to my FS-12 (Zenit-12S)... do you have the rest of the kit or seen the rest of the kit? Like metal box, manual? Is it possible it's an adapted bottom plate from 12S? Usually FS series have "S" code in camera name, this one does not... just trying to cover all bases here... It would've been Zenit-TTL-S No???
Go to Top of Page

Aidas Pikiotas
AidasCams
Lithuania
973 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  12:36:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit AidasCams's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Vlad,

I have only single camera unfortunately. But I'm absolute sure about it's authentity while having soviet literature with Zenit-TTL Fotosnaiper camera shown ...

Best Regards,
Aidas
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  12:52:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm sure the camera exists, but the question is - is this one of them? . Have you seen the pictures of the other ones? The absence of "S" in the name makes me raise the question....
Go to Top of Page

Aidas Pikiotas
AidasCams
Lithuania
973 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  1:07:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit AidasCams's Homepage  Reply with Quote
sure ... I have the document by "DOM OPTIKI", where Zenit-TTL camera ilustrating early version of Fotosnaiper-12 camera...

BTW if you will take close look at the top plate of particular camera, you will find it identical to your Zenit-12C camera, while the top plate of regular Zenit-TTL is a little bit different.

Best Regards,
Aidas

Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  4:44:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All right! I rest my case for now Very cool! Please don't be offended, I had to ask these questions.
Go to Top of Page
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo
Brazil
1981 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  07:47:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey all!
Zenit TTL and Zenit 12S are absolutely identical except for the internal shutter base having a cut for a lever matching the knob bottom firings. Even the TTL light meter and Zenit 12S are the same - they differ only by a shunt going to a P-3 type plug that when connected to the Tair 3 PhS, inserts a series of potenciometers (in the lens) for full aperture readings. Bodies differ slightly.
That way, I afirm that:
This camera is an original 12S with a TTL cover.

Why?
See the body. and the tripod location Differs from TTL series.
-The TTL has side tripod mount.
The self timer is also different -the lever- and do not carries the "M" plate. the shutter button and rewind clutch also differes from TTL series.
As the top cover are metalurgically and mechanically identical, this is a post factory adaptation.
Regards LP
Go to Top of Page

Aidas Pikiotas
AidasCams
Lithuania
973 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  09:27:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit AidasCams's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks to Luiz, I'm becoming great camera faker myself ... .

Luiz, I respect your opinion, but it's only your opinion, not a final verdict yet. I'm absolutely sure it's an authentic camera, not a post factory adaptation indeed ...

(1) I can't find the proper reason for modification of particular camera yet. If I want to transform my TTL into the Snaiper camera, the easiest way to put the TTL's top on regular 12C body, right? But I have some problems here. First of all, how to modify the regular eye-cup into extended Snaiper's one? 2nd, the top plate of particular camera have silkscreened markings, which is common on Zenit-12S cameras, never on regular TTL's ... Should I silkscreen it myself? Nonsense, indeed ... So I'm back to my first question - what reason? The same problems if I cut out the "12C" markings from the top plate of the camera to put the new TTL markings instead ...

(2) is it worth to make these adaptations to get some $30 from naive camera buyer like me?

(3) we all know, that "TTL" cameras are from the same so called Zenit-12 group, although Zenit-TTL entered the market in 1977 (see camera #77000484 in my collection) and Zenit-12 - just five years after. Below you will find the proclamation of year 1983 by "DOM OPTIKI" (Optic's House), the official distributor of soviet cameras, illustrating new FS-12 set with Zenit-TTL within ... Can I raise the question of existing Zenit-TTL Fotosnaiper camera then?

Best Regards,
Aidas

Go to Top of Page

Aidas Pikiotas
AidasCams
Lithuania
973 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  09:28:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit AidasCams's Homepage  Reply with Quote

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/zenit-ttl_sniper.jpg

Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  09:37:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very interesting! It shows TTL on picture but talks about 12S in text....
Go to Top of Page
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo
Brazil
1981 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  1:10:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In complement to what was said:
Two explainig pictures

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/ttl.JPG

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/ttl2.JPG

So it is a 12 S type with TTL name
A fairy acquisition
Go to Top of Page

Aidas Pikiotas
AidasCams
Lithuania
973 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  2:09:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit AidasCams's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Luiz,

Yes, it's Zenit-12C camera with TTL name indeed ...

Best Regards,
Aidas
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  2:49:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There is currently a TTL Photosniper on eBay listed in Germany , but be aware that it is a regular Zenit-TTL (no FS bottom plate) packaged with a FS-12 sniper kit, just keeping you alert in case you start searching eBay in search of this type of camera. I've communicated with seller and he had sent me detailed photos.

Vlad
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google