Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Vladislav Kern
Vlad

USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  10:04:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know this is going to come up one way or the other, and the seller himself somewhat green lighted this post:

I will neither mention the seller's name nor provide a link to the actual auction because I do not want to make this post as an advertisement for him. This is purely from collector's interests since it peaked my curiosity and I've contacted him about it since I know he was doing similar thing with LC-A before.

You may have noticed some Smena 8M cameras with BLUE face plate on eBay these last couple of days. I know the person who sells these. Before you can scream fake consider this story told me by this dealer (I bought quite a lot of other rare Lomo cameras from him, he is quite a nice and honest man so far by my impression):

These cameras are refurbished from older (some unsold) models at LOMO factory today with blue face. According to him, there is a department on LOMO, where seller's company (big company too - about 500 LOMO cameras sold a month in Europe (his words), he is not really an primarily eBay seller) special orders batches of refurbished LC-A and Smena 8M cameras that are colored (I guess "authentic" lomo ones with blue metal faceplate). Lomographic society supposedly uses same people. So according to him this are done AT THE Lomo factory today by special order.

How collectible are these - I don't know?

I guess the fact is that LOMO still breathes, they do not manufacture cameras but they refurbish old stock in some serious quantities too. And that seems to be a significant fact for me.

Vlad

Aidas Pikiotas
AidasCams
Lithuania
973 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  10:51:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit AidasCams's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Vlad,

I just have checked my old records: the same "blue-plated" 8M was bought 3 years ago from the same seller in St.Peterbourg, I guess. Blue Smena-8M is one of very few "fantasy" cameras I possess, but it looks great, at least much better in comparison with authentic 8M ... All these "blue-plated", "green-plated", "red-plated" or "yellow-plated" cameras are brand new, so your information is very actual indeed ...

Best Regards,
Aidas
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  12:01:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aidas,

I just got some more information, according to the seller there are actually two large official workshops at LOMO factory that work on these cameras. Honestly I don't even know if these can be attributed as fantasy cameras, since these cameras are made and remade at LOMO I would even think of them as authentic, just a modern batch... From my understanding as seller was talking about these - they may not even be refurbs - they may be even newly made.. but I can't testify to that...

Vlad.
Go to Top of Page

Juhani Halmeenmaki
cedricfan
Finland
1013 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  12:44:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit cedricfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Easy, just look at the font of the texts. The original ones have slightly different font than these later ones, what ever you call them. As black ones exist lso as original that is the best comparison. Just go to my website and ""Detailed pics of my collection" \ "Smena", I have noted the differences in one picture there.

Smena rules
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  1:20:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Juhani, right, my argument is that these are still also originalfactory cameras but new release.

Vlad
Go to Top of Page

Juhani Halmeenmaki
cedricfan
Finland
1013 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  2:24:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit cedricfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
And good to know how to see which one it is, as at least black ones did exist even originally. So easy to confuse original, refurbished and fakes although they can all exist! Many do think that the black one is not original, or take the later ones as the original ones. Confusing...

Smena rules
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  5:07:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just bought a lot of 4 of these since he did not want to break up the lot of 4. One of those is spoken for by Steve, I got 2 extras. He said they will not make them for a while since there weren't any orders.. First two people to respond to me if they want one - get it. I paid $37 each shipped to me. So it's $37 for you plus whatever shipping cost to you from USA.

Vlad
Go to Top of Page
BERRY alain
mermoz37
France
814 Posts
Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  08:37:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi Vlad,
could you show us a picture of this blue face smena ?
may be I will be interested by a double ....
Alain
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  09:35:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's a link to that completed auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220259709304&_trksid=p2761.l1259

Vlad
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  09:41:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
By the way he just got a lot more of these brand new UFK-2 sets if anyone is interested. Bill and I bought one each already from him some time ago, these are sealed in an original box!

http://www.russianstorehouse.com/shop/More.php?sid=203107608898241b90f833dece

Vlad
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google