Located in
History, Documents & Ephemera > Factory Histories

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Vladislav Kern
Vlad

USA
4236 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Aug 10 2008 :  9:41:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've started an effort to document in highest detail a timeline of Soviet photographic history. I would like to have ONLY EXACT dates in this entry with day and month.. also I would like to state the source on the bottom and the bullet point referencing it by number. I will keep updating it as I go through various literature..

Any kind of contributions to this entry by everyone else would be highly appreciated!

Thanks,
Vlad
Zoom
596 Posts
Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  10:20:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vlad

I would like to have ONLY EXACT dates in this entry with day and month..

Better to date in a normal, logical, format: DD.MM.YYYY, not in this crazy MM/DD/YYYY... ;)
Or in ISO 8601 format: YYYY-MM-DD, at the worst.
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4236 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  11:16:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hahahaha... sorry Zoom, we are USA-based, thus the formatting...

The rest of the site is on this system, so I would like to keep it consistent.

Regards,
Vlad
Go to Top of Page

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  11:54:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote

What would happen if something very important in Soviet photographic history was left out because the exact day was not known, only the month and year?

Should we start another entry that is for important events called "Soviet Photographic History Timeline - Almost Exact Dates" ? ;-) ....
and if so, in that entry should we leave out "the exact dates" ?

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4236 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  12:00:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bill,

This is by far not a complete timeline at this point, this is more of a collection of known EXACT dates in chronological order. It does not really matter if some important events are omitted I would like here to collect all the EXACT dates that we can find... quite a challenge, eh? Everyone knows approximate dates (Princelle has good charts) but exact dates were never collected.. that is why I would like to do this.

Vlad.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  12:09:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good idea Vlad! Thanks! Many exact dates are in the text of Princelle.

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4236 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  12:23:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Awesome thank you for the pointer, I will start going through Princelle and some other books that I have this week... maybe this will lead to something bigger, like creating exact timeline charts based on this data... we'll see.. time permitting

Vlad
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4236 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  4:06:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
To avoid confusion I have removed the word "timeline" from the entry. I think timeline is what we may eventually be able to create from this list of exact dates but at this point it's a collection of exact dates in Soviet photographic history. I think this may be useful list for any kind of research we as collectors embarq on that may tie certain events in the country (for which we usually have exact dates from history books) to photographic industry and may prove or disprove some theories put forward by members of this forum on certain topics..

Vlad
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4236 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  5:28:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Zoom, is there by any chance anywhere on your site you can point me to a page that has some exact dates? I've found some nice tables of camera production but it's by year only...

Thanks!
Vlad
Go to Top of Page
Yuri Boguslavsky
fedka
USA
239 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  06:44:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit fedka's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I remember, back in my traveling days in the USSR, I was very surprised when I had many business trips to Kaunas, Lithuania - they used this 'American' format MM/DD even when everyone else was using DD/MM.
This was not just a matter of inconvenience. Business travelers carried special paper (business trip ID) which had to be filled by the customer, and all reimbursements were based on these dates. It was quite confusing for my personnel department.

Yuri

quote:
Originally posted by Zoom

quote:
Originally posted by Vlad

I would like to have ONLY EXACT dates in this entry with day and month..

Better to date in a normal, logical, format: DD.MM.YYYY, not in this crazy MM/DD/YYYY... ;)
Or in ISO 8601 format: YYYY-MM-DD, at the worst.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google