Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Vladislav Kern
Vlad

USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  2:50:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've got an email today from a fellow collector in Germany saying that someone on molotok auction made a claim that 3-cell Aurora is more rare than 6-cell. Is there any merit to it?

Vlad

Aidas Pikiotas
AidasCams
Lithuania
973 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  01:42:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit AidasCams's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Vlad,

I really don't think so. There are at least 4 versions of Aurora Automat (2 x Aurora-6 and 2 x Aurora-3). The rarest version is an early version of Aurora-6 with additional switch for batery status checking on the top plate. Only very few samples have survived so far, so they are extremely rare to find nowadays (my friend was lucky to buy one for $60 ... ). The regular Aurora-6 are quite uncommon either, but you still can find it at price $200-$300.

An early Aurora-3 has X M contacts on the lens, while late Aurora-3 has same contacts on the body already. These cameras still can be found periodically on the UK and Germany markets at very reasonable prices indeed ...

Best Regards,
Aidas
Go to Top of Page
BERRY alain
mermoz37
France
814 Posts
Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  03:15:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you know I possess an Aurora cells whith checking switch but not on top plate just on rear top plate near cocking lever.
serial : 69 04714 (got it a very low price on the ground from a polih seller in Bièvres.
this model is quite same as my Sokol 6 cells, serial : 6802082
Go to Top of Page
BERRY alain
mermoz37
France
814 Posts
Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  03:16:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mistake : I want to said " Aurora 6 cells" evidently....
Go to Top of Page
Steve
Bull Halsey
USA
229 Posts
Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  11:51:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just checked my Aurora 6 Cell, #6802161, and the switch is above the advance lever on the back.

Oh Darn !!

Steve
Go to Top of Page
Steve
Bull Halsey
USA
229 Posts
Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  11:54:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I forgot to mention that my camera is also pictured in the WIKI.

Steve
Go to Top of Page

Aidas Pikiotas
AidasCams
Lithuania
973 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  12:03:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit AidasCams's Homepage  Reply with Quote
dear friends,

You can see how the earliest Aurora-6 looks like at:

http://www.fotoua.com/1cameratip.php?seek2=0&seek1=0&usl=4&usl1=sokol&seek3=0&rd=&st=

Both earliest Sokol automat and Aurora automat are identical, except of nameplate labeling ...

Best Regards,
Aidas

Edited by - AidasCams on Oct 10 2008 12:07:03 PM
Go to Top of Page
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo
Brazil
1981 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  8:23:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"Aurora" was the Sokol name for the TOE market.
Certainly the 6 cell is much more rare than the further 3 cell. last model sold much more.the six cel sold in 1967 1968 and the three cell sold up to 1975 -at leat in England, Germany and Holland.
LP
Go to Top of Page
BERRY alain
mermoz37
France
814 Posts
Posted - Oct 11 2008 :  03:57:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi Aidas ,
what's strange , except my weak eyes , all sokol and aurora pictures on Fotoua have no red memory disk as I can see on some of mine ...??
Go to Top of Page

Aidas Pikiotas
AidasCams
Lithuania
973 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Oct 13 2008 :  05:45:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit AidasCams's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Alain,

could you place the sample of Sokol with red memory disk here?
Thanks, Aidas

Go to Top of Page

Aidas Pikiotas
AidasCams
Lithuania
973 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Oct 13 2008 :  05:48:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit AidasCams's Homepage  Reply with Quote
... just checked ... my Sokol 6 cells #6802527 has red momory disk indeed ...

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/sokol_6802527_2.jpg

Edited by - AidasCams on Oct 13 2008 05:52:53 AM
Go to Top of Page
Steve
Bull Halsey
USA
229 Posts
Posted - Oct 13 2008 :  1:49:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What does the presense of the red disk indicate?

Is it on later cameras, or harder to find?

I'm not sure of its significance.

Thanks,
Steve
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Oct 13 2008 :  9:26:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Was 6 cell made earlier than 3 cell? I would assume they were more expensive to product thus such low numbers... was there a specific advantage of having 6 cells vs 3?
Go to Top of Page
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo
Brazil
1981 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  10:58:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All Sokol and derivative cameras has only one CdS cell!
The previous six holes model hides a larger rectangular cell! and uses only the two central holes. The three holes model hides a smaller round cell that uses only the center hole. All the remaining holes covered with small lenses are simply decorative!
Interesting feature: These lenses reproduces the picture {seen by the camera lens (in a smaller size)} over the cell so it measures an integrated amount of the scene light!
LP
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  09:26:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, very interesting! So these are purely decoration!! Would've never thought that! Thank you Luiz, (to the rescue as always ).

My Sokol 6-cell #7106700 has red disk on top, and it has X/M contacts on the lens... how weird is that??? I thought only early models had that... I always get these oddball cameras ....
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  09:28:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
oh and the shutter release lever is shiny smooth silver metal and not plastic like on my 3-cell Sokol...and I did not see that type of shutter release anywhere pictured.. I'll post a picture in a few..
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  09:31:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Actually here it is in the catalog forgot I had it in there:

http://www.ussrphoto.com/Wiki/default.asp?ImageID=3586&ParentID=1&WikiCatID=12&ContentID=974

Vlad.
Go to Top of Page
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo
Brazil
1981 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  3:51:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Vlad
They use Cadmium sulfite cell Not Selenium sulfite.
Remember Sokol use batteries.
Two of the first pre production cameras were donated to the former owners of the importer in Brazil. I remember very well. They had red battery covers, but I do not remember if they had any black paint on it (as shown in Aidas photo). Several years are past now.
LP
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google