Located in
Lenses & Optics > Jupiter

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Vladislav Kern
Vlad

USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Oct 23 2008 :  11:34:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Excellent timing Mike in posting this "T" lens!

Just yesterday Steve (Bull Halsey) and I had a lenghty discussion about this "T" Jupiter-8 lens, I hope he will see this post and post his theory. Otherwise I'll do it if he does not respond. But it makes a lot of sense.
BERRY alain
mermoz37
France
814 Posts
Posted - Oct 23 2008 :  12:05:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi friends,
you remember we had a discuus in the past about "T" lenses ( I possess a Helios 40 "T" (but "T" is after name ...not after serial number)
so we had no explanations except my Finish friend which tell me "T" is added on special lenses for Artic use (low temperatures use)
who know the truth again ?????
Go to Top of Page
Steve
Bull Halsey
USA
229 Posts
Posted - Oct 23 2008 :  12:53:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello All,
I own a '63 No-Name Contax fitted with a F1.5 Jena Sonnar. The lens coating is quite similar to the Jupiter T pictured. Im ny opinion, most, not all, but most Russian lenses which are coated do not show much color due to the coating, while many of the East German lenses show off a much stronger color hue due to the coating.

The other day while speaking with Vlad I mentioned that my 50mm 1.5 Jena Sonnar has a strong blue color from the coating and like most (if not all) coated Zeiss lenses, has a "T" designation imprinted in red along the rim of the lens along with the lens name, serial number, etc. Thr T was the designation that Zeiss gave to indicate a coated lens. Granted, the Jupiter pictured has the T attached to the serial number, but that could just be a choice of the manufacturer.

I was just wondering if by any chance there were optics supplied which could have been from another source other than the norm, or had been coated differently, or were coatings experimented with in small batches ?

The date of the Jupiter would coincide with the Jena lens manufacturing.

Just a thought.

Steve
Go to Top of Page
Stephan Van den Zegel
stephanvdz
Belgium
176 Posts
Posted - Oct 27 2008 :  10:53:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
strange... coating marks are usually free standing (in the zeiss tradition) or related to the optical definition (50 f2 T) for instance), here we have a variation on the serial number ... which could mean that the variation is not optical but mecanical... how does the lens reacts ? any special effect on the picture ?
The coating seems very blueish indeed...

and to what term a cyrilic T could lead... ?

For zeiss collectors there is the mistery of TF coating mark... but that's another story

Stephan
Go to Top of Page
Zoom
596 Posts
Posted - Oct 27 2008 :  6:38:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mermoz37

you remember we had a discuus in the past about "T" lenses ( I possess a Helios 40 "T" (but "T" is after name ...not after serial number)
so we had no explanations except my Finish friend which tell me "T" is added on special lenses for Artic use (low temperatures use)
who know the truth again ?????

See http://www.zenitcamera.com/qa/qa-indexes.html

Some examples:
Helios-40-T -- for a television cameras.
OF-28T -- the tropical version (named this way in a documentation, but on a body the letter "T" is always placed near the serial number).

So, as I think, this is the tropical version of Jupiter-8M (has another coatings and lubrication).
Btw, the "arctic lenses" must have a heating... ;)
Go to Top of Page
Stephan Van den Zegel
stephanvdz
Belgium
176 Posts
Posted - Oct 28 2008 :  4:21:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how do your write tropical in russian ?

Stephan
Go to Top of Page
Zoom
596 Posts
Posted - Oct 28 2008 :  5:04:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stephanvdz

how do your write tropical in russian ?

tropical == тропический (tropicheskiy)
tropical version == тропическое исполнение (tropicheskoe ispolnenie)

Btw, this word is from Greek: τροπικος... ;)

Edited by - Zoom on Oct 28 2008 5:38:14 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google