Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Collectors and Users Open Forum
 A Fed 1c slow speeds

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: Please provide registration password:
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

New! Upload Image

Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jacques M. Posted - Nov 14 2016 : 12:04:39 PM
Hello,

I bought lately from Bill a Fed 1c with slow speeds. A very interesting setting made by a skilled craftsman years ago.

Here are two photos:

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/14112016_Fed slow speeds 73968 1.jpg

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/14112016_Fed slow speeds 73968 10.jpg

Everybody can see that the lens is not in the right position. And much more interesting, there is no visible slow speed spring, like on a Leica III or a Zorki 3, for example.

When I received it, it was working, more or less. The fast speeds (except the 1/250th and the 1/500th), and one or two slow speeds (at least the second). But the ribbons and the shutters were very tired and they did not resist to my trials and they are broken now.

I have dismantled it.... To be continued!

Jacques.

14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jacques M. Posted - Mar 21 2017 : 06:04:37 AM

PM re-sent and another through USSRphoto.
Hope you received at least one of them...

Amitiés.
levonsa Posted - Mar 20 2017 : 5:37:01 PM
Jacques I'm sorry, but I did not get anything ...
Jacques M. Posted - Mar 20 2017 : 06:32:54 AM
Many thanks, Alexey!
I send you a PM.

Amitiés. Jacques.
levonsa Posted - Mar 19 2017 : 6:39:38 PM
Jacques greetings!
I can help you.
Have a good mood!
Jacques M. Posted - Mar 18 2017 : 11:49:24 AM
After three months, my repairman cannot do the work. I let you imagine the exact answer, based on adjectives we know concerning FSU cameras: ugly, fake, home made, it looks like Leica, but... etc.

I cannot accept that. This camera represents many hours of skill and clever work to adapt Zorki 3 parts to a Fed NKVD body. So, if you knew somebody mad enough to do that at a decent price... Or even if one of us accepted... I would be delighted...

Thanks!

Jacques.
Joseph S Posted - Dec 10 2016 : 4:07:58 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Jacques M.

So, it is a camera which should work with a CLA (if I find somebody who can fix all that). For my part, I am moved to see such a setting with Russian parts only, not the usual German ones. Note that the camera itself was produced in 1938 and the Zorki 3 in 1951/55.

But some details are difficult to understand. What is the exact use of a slow speed spring? How could this camera work without it?

All comments are welcome. And questions too, if I can!

Amitiés. Jacques.

The second curtain is released before the first curtain completes its travel for all speeds above 1/20 th of a second, so the brake comes into use just after the release of the second curtain. At 1/20th of a second and slower, the brake is engaged a little before the second curtain releases, hence the need of that extra flat spring, and the 2nd curtain can be effectively retarded by the slow speed escapement when slow shutter speeds are used without hanging up .

I suspect that the camera's slow speed can work without that braking spring acting on the shutter roller cam but it would be hit or miss. The Leica III had that spring and so did the Zorki 3.

Jacques M. Posted - Nov 16 2016 : 07:19:31 AM

It's the first time too that I dismantle such a camera with slow speed.
But I was obliged to. I wanted to see inside how the mechanism worked. And I did not know that, on the three main screws which fix the shutter box to the upper plate, one was loose and another was absent. So the shutter box came wrongly and half dismounted. I reluctantly had to achieve the work before remounting all that... Three hours of researches: sorry, no photo of the mess!

I would be happy if a "knowing" forumer could tell more about the adaptation of these Zorki 3 parts on the camera, specially concerning the absence of a slow speed spring.

About the lens, it's the s/n 30439. It would go on a 1940/41 Fed S, with s/n 14xxxx/17xxxx. A correct one for this Fed s/n 73968 would be in the 22xxx range. I have several of them: once tried, they all give a good position of the infinity button (at 10 o'clock). But the presence of the slow speed button does not allow to use such a lens correctly...

Amitiés. Jacques.

Alfa2 Posted - Nov 16 2016 : 03:45:13 AM
I thought it is made from FED S. In this case it would have 1/1000.

I have never dismounted any camera with slow speeds. Only regular FEDs, Zorkis or Leicas I or II.
Here construction is very interesting.
Jacques M. Posted - Nov 15 2016 : 08:46:37 AM

No, 1/500th only: it's a simple NKVD with slow speeds. Not a Fed B fake!
Concerning the speeds, the first Leica III (F) had the same characteristics.
Alfa2 Posted - Nov 15 2016 : 08:19:16 AM
Does the camera have 1/1000 or not ?
I don't see it on 1st photo.
Jacques M. Posted - Nov 15 2016 : 07:41:57 AM
So, it is a camera which should work with a CLA (if I find somebody who can fix all that). For my part, I am moved to see such a setting with Russian parts only, not the usual German ones. Note that the camera itself was produced in 1938 and the Zorki 3 in 1951/55.

But some details are difficult to understand. What is the exact use of a slow speed spring? How could this camera work without it?

All comments are welcome. And questions too, if I can!

Amitiés. Jacques.
Jacques M. Posted - Nov 15 2016 : 07:31:26 AM

By what I see, the extra parts come from a Zorki 3. The slow speed dial can easily be recognized:

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/15112016_Fed slow speeds 73968 2.jpg

It is the same for the slow speed escapement box. On the left, a Zorki 3 one. One the right, this Fed's:

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/15112016_DSCF2578.JPG

I don't know for the rod: I did not dare to dismantle completely my Zorki 3. But I suspect it comes from a Zorki 3 too.

Jacques M. Posted - Nov 15 2016 : 05:45:35 AM

So, I took off the slow speed dial first, thinking that probably it was not connected. But I obtained that:

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/15112016_DSCF2551.JPG

The long vertical rod is pushed by the slow speed dial when turning it. On its upper part, the rod wears a piece which can be unlatched by a "tongue", just under the main speed button.

On the back, the rod wears a sort of fork, which is connected to the slow speed escapement:

http://www.ussrphoto.com/UserContent/15112016_DSCF2567.JPG

Alfa2 Posted - Nov 14 2016 : 1:33:36 PM
Beautiful.

USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google