Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Stephan Van den Zegel
stephanvdz

Belgium
176 Posts
Posted - Dec 31 2008 :  07:05:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My salyut C is going to arax for repairs and CLA, and I will ask Arax to a) repair the shutter (slow speed erratic) b) flock the interior c) change the mattglass... and probably to adapt a new tripod base so that the slow speed are protected... also have a new black leather covering for the whole kit (saliyut, wlf, 2 matching backs... all with same number 7403260) BUT should I change for cloth shutter ?

Besides I want to buy an new improved Kiev88 with MLU and cloth shutter and so on... with a P6 mount to use my sonnar 180/2,8 and other but also my other kiev lenses with an adapter...
The questions are :
1/ do the old kiev lenses with autodiaf... keep that features with the adapter ?
2/ Twist lock or Breech lock P6 mount ? what is the most useful and usable
3/ Hartblei or Arax... which is best finished ? since they are in the same price bracket...

Lot of questions... but I know you are wise... or you may seem so...

Stephan

Stephan
Dayton nathandayton
USA
95 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Dec 31 2008 :  6:32:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit nathandayton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a Salyut C that I had converted to Pentacon six lens mount and rebuilt by Arax. I cannot say too much good about the quality. I chose the twist lock and like it better than my Pentacons and Kiev 6, 6s,and 60. Every lens that I have works flawlessly(and I have almost every Soviet and Zeiss lens), the auto lenses all work both Soviet and German. Personally I did not get mirror lock and do not miss it. I find that a good tripod is much more reliable in suppressing shake, I have a heavy wooden German one. I also had the backs rebuilt and they work flawlessly.

As an engineer I would recommend against changing the metal curtains to cloth. It was designed to have metal curtains and I would be concerned that the cloth curtains would introduce problems down the road.

I cannot talk to the quality of Hartblei because I have never seen on of their conversions but I would not hesitate to recommend Arax and go to them to have another done.
Go to Top of Page
Stephan Van den Zegel
stephanvdz
Belgium
176 Posts
Posted - Jan 01 2009 :  12:12:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
your wisdom meets my early thoughts... so I think I'll go for a new arax with p6 twist, cloth shutter and MLU... and ask to upgrade the salyiut within reason (no new mount, no cloth shutter...)

Stephan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google