Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Vladislav Kern
Vlad

USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Oct 09 2007 :  3:52:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm a bit confused.. are Arsenal model numbers mix still and movie cameras? For example: There is a Kiev 15 then Kiev 16 (movie camera), then Kiev 17...

Are these in any order? Were the "in-between" camera model #s ever made? Like Kiev 6, 7, 8,9 or they just picked the #s at random?

Vlad.
Zoom
596 Posts
Posted - Oct 09 2007 :  4:43:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vlad

I'm a bit confused.. are Arsenal model numbers mix still and movie cameras? For example: There is a Kiev 15 then Kiev 16 (movie camera), then Kiev 17...

Now you will be confused even more... ;) Surprise: Zavod Arsenal was never produce this movie cameras...

Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Oct 09 2007 :  5:07:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dmitriy, right?

Thanks for chiming in! :)

Great! All right, now I definitely badly need a lesson in Soviet naming convention! :)

Vlad.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Oct 09 2007 :  6:15:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Zoom,
Which Zavod made the Kiev movie cameras?

I see in the Princelle book that the photo of the Kiev-165-2 (page 268) has the symbol of the arrow pointing up and two waves across it, in a circle. And also the lenses on these cine cameras seem to have LZOS symbols on them.

Regards, Bill

Edited by - nightphoto on Oct 09 2007 6:16:05 PM
Go to Top of Page
Zoom
596 Posts
Posted - Oct 09 2007 :  6:29:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Great! All right, now I definitely badly need a lesson in Soviet naming convention! :)

The movie cameras 'Kiev' ('Alpha') were made by "Kievsky zavod avtomatiki imeni G.I. Petrovskogo" ('Kiev automation plant...').
Index "16" is from 16-mm film.
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Oct 09 2007 :  6:35:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So what happened to Kiev 11, 12, 13 and 14? Were they in schematics stage at least or Arsenal was just randomly picking model numbers?

Vlad.
Go to Top of Page
Zoom
596 Posts
Posted - Oct 09 2007 :  6:43:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nightphoto
I see in the Princelle book that the photo of the Kiev-165-2 (page 268) has the symbol of the arrow pointing up and two waves across it, in a circle.

See http://www.zenitcamera.com/qa/qa-logos.html (tip: move the mouse pointer over a plant names, they are translated to English)

quote:
Originally posted by nightphoto
And also the lenses on these cine cameras seem to have LZOS symbols on them.

"Kievsky zavod avtomatiki" (KZA) didn't made lenses. So, others plants made optics were used.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Oct 09 2007 :  7:52:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you Zoom!

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Oct 09 2007 :  8:03:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Vlad,

There was a Kiev-11 prototype (page 217 Princelle) and I suspect that like many technology manufacturing companies, not every model is produced in series, and some may just be drawings, never even produced as a prototype. This is the probable answer with Kievs, although I'm just guessing.

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo
Brazil
1986 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Oct 10 2007 :  1:07:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
See at http://www.novacon.com.br/h3adde01.htm the logo of Киевский завод автоматики им. Г.И. Петровского (Kievsky zavod avtomatiki im. Petrovskogo)- no relationship with Arsenal zavod- It represents an arc and an arrow or a torpedo running over the sea waves. The following pages have lots of Logos of Soviet camera industy
LP
Go to Top of Page
Zoom
596 Posts
Posted - Oct 10 2007 :  6:45:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Luiz Paracampo

See at http://www.novacon.com.br/h3adde01.htm ...

Sorry, but this is not a good source. At first, it is secondary.

And it contain some errors:

"Prisma de Dove usado ate 1950" --> much earlier

Left logo from

is not KMZ logo. It is the Princelle's fantasy. (Looks like UOMZ old mark)

Picture

(from Alfred Camera page) -- two left logos has incorrect angles.

(Btw. many other pictures are from www.zenitcamera.com -- but there are nothing about sources)

Next:

is not a logo.

"Estatua equestre de Pedro O Grande" --> correct: Bogdan Khmelnitsky

This logo:

is not MMZ logo, but ZOMZ.

"UFA Uralnii Fabrika Apparatov" -- Nope...
Go to Top of Page
gerard gerard
gerardpanoramic
Netherlands
23 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Oct 17 2007 :  05:48:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit gerardpanoramic's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

So what happened to Kiev 11, 12, 13 and 14? Were they in schematics stage at least or Arsenal was just randomly picking model numbers?

Vlad.

Go to Top of Page
gerard gerard
gerardpanoramic
Netherlands
23 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Oct 17 2007 :  05:52:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit gerardpanoramic's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dear Vlad,

About model number 13.
I have been told that in Russia never made a model 13 any camera, as this is a kind of "holy number"
Same as the room number of a hotel.
best
Gerard
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Oct 17 2007 :  12:23:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Honestly I've never heard of that Gerard... my impression was that "unlucky 13" was a western notion...

Vlad
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google