jupiter 3 or jupiter 8?
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nathaniel bucag
bucsss

Philippines
10 Posts
Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  09:07:46 AM  Show Profile  Send bucsss a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
hi guys, im nathaniel

i have a fed-2 with an I-26 and i'm thinking of getting a new lens.
should i buy the cheaper jupiter-8 or the faster jupiter-3?
any advice?

THANKS!!

Guido Studer
Guido
Switzerland
362 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  4:18:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Guido's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello Nathaniel

I think it make no sense to buy a Jupiter 8 without camera, because you can buy such a lens together with a camera for more less money. My recommendation would be to buy a Zorki 4 or Zorki 4K togehter with a Jupiter 8. The Zorki 4(K) has a large viewfinder and it's very practicable.

For the Jupiter 3: It's a very nice lens but the focusing of the camera must be very exactly adjusted for the use of the small apertures. And the prices of such lenses is quite high - you can even buy two Zorki 4 with Jupiter 8 for this price!

If you like to use a Zorki (or FED) for taking pictures I think it would be better to use a Jupiter 8 for the first steps. If you need more speed later, you could buy such a Jupiter 3.

Just my opinion ... but I don't use my Zorki's and Zenit's for taking pictures, because I'm using digital SLR's for some years and would never change again ...

Best wishes - Guido
Go to Top of Page
Brian
USA
67 Posts
Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  6:15:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jupiter-8's tend to be more uniform in performance than the Jupiter-3. They tend to work "out of the package", but some also require adjustment.

I favor the Jupiter-3, but have experience in adjusting the shim and "nailing" the focus.

Here are some samples from Jupiter-3's ranging from 1953 to 1986. The 1950's lenses have been the sharpest, in my experience.

http://ziforums.com/album.php?albumid=97
Go to Top of Page

nathaniel bucag
bucsss
Philippines
10 Posts
Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  8:57:23 PM  Show Profile  Send bucsss a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
hmm..think i'd go for the jupiter-8 then...there's more risk tied to that jupiter-3
Go to Top of Page

nathaniel bucag
bucsss
Philippines
10 Posts
Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  9:14:37 PM  Show Profile  Send bucsss a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
oh and one more thing...

which fed or zorki body should i pair it with to get a cheap combination yet a very functional?
Go to Top of Page

jed
France
391 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  05:14:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit jed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello Nathaniel,

Pick up a Zorki 4 ;)

Jed
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  11:10:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with Jed, probably cheapest and best selection of shutter speeds.

Vlad.
Go to Top of Page
BERRY alain
mermoz37
France
814 Posts
Posted - Sep 10 2009 :  04:05:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree :
zorki 4 (or 4K) whith Jup 8.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic