Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Vladislav Kern
Vlad

USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Mar 02 2008 :  2:58:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I got a question for you all .. How do you display movie cameras vertically? Are there special stands? I'm talking about displaying it with a handle. I was told that you can take off the handles, but can you on ALL the cameras? Did you find any good makeshift stands that work well? Any mounts?

I'm thinking of adding movie cameras to my collection, but since i like to display everything, I am concerned about the handles... I don't want to lay them down...

Vlad

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Mar 02 2008 :  6:01:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Hi Vlad,
Most, if not all handles on the 8mm and 16mm movie cameras will be removable because they are made to also be used on a tripod, and the tripod screw-socket will be the same as where the handle screws on. there may be exceptions, but that is probably the general situation. If there are exceptions, it would still seem to me that the camera will have a tripod screw-socket and so perhaps it could be mounted on a small tripod for display.

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page
okynek
759 Posts
Posted - Mar 02 2008 :  6:19:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agreed with Bill. I have probably 50 Russian movies cameras I can not recall any of them has non-removable handle. The problem only, with handle camera looks much cooler then without. So I have to display camera with handles and put them up side down.
I will be glad if someone suggest other ways.
Collecting movies camera is fun! Especially mechanical ones! And price is affordable!
Vlad find Ekran-3 and you will be hook up for life!

Edited by - okynek on Mar 02 2008 6:42:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Mar 02 2008 :  6:54:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys! I wonder if anyone found a way to display them with handles though.. there's gotta be some kind of off-the-shelf kind of stands made for something else that may work good... Like I made my own stands for Photosnipers from acrylic pieces and they look awesome. Maybe once I get some cameras, I will try to construct some stands... may even start selling them if they work good,maybe there's a market for those .
Go to Top of Page
okynek
759 Posts
Posted - Mar 02 2008 :  8:10:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please show your stands for Photosniper? I looking to build one too!
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Mar 02 2008 :  8:19:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I will take pictures tonight and post them for you.

Vlad
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Mar 02 2008 :  11:02:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here is the Fotosniper stand that I made... it's basically 2 acrylic risers glued together with crazy glue. The big riser is 4x4x4 inches and small one is 2x2x2 inches.. you can acquire the risers here:

http://stores.ebay.com/Laser-Creations_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

Or call 1-800-458-7446, ask for Jeff, you can tell him I sent you or not . Good company I get all my risers from them for my camera display.

Cheers,
Vlad.
Go to Top of Page
okynek
759 Posts
Posted - Mar 02 2008 :  11:15:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pretty cool! Thank you Vlad for pictures and info!!!
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Mar 02 2008 :  11:36:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My pleasure, I'm thinking maybe do something similar for movie cameras with handles but it will probably be custom for each cameras... but at least it's a start I think...
Go to Top of Page
okynek
759 Posts
Posted - Mar 03 2008 :  11:10:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vlad I found the way how to display movie camera using modifyed acrylic risers you have:

Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Mar 03 2008 :  11:14:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hmm... making holes in them, eh? ... good idea.. what do you think I should try using dremmel?
Go to Top of Page
BERRY alain
mermoz37
France
814 Posts
Posted - Mar 04 2008 :  05:01:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vlad ,
use a special drill for wood (not for metal ).
You can easily found a very large diameter one (even adjustable)

whith a center pin and take a very slow speedon drill machine.
Go to Top of Page
okynek
759 Posts
Posted - Mar 04 2008 :  08:50:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Home Deport and other stores having such drill bits and even special drills to cut holes for door locks. And I thinking square hole is more appropriate for such use. Most of the handles in movie cameras are squire. Then probably Dremel will be tool of choice. I also have bend sow. It should do clener cuts then Dremel. But on other hand using round holes let rotate camera time after time for better display.

Edited by - okynek on Mar 04 2008 09:00:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Oct 08 2008 :  09:19:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well I drove to Steve's house yesterday (Bull Halsey here on the forums), and he sold me his movie camera collection! (thanks Steve for a great deal! ) Now I have 13 total movie cameras, when a month ago I had none .

So this brings me back to the question of displaying them with the handles attached... I looked at all my acrylic risers and they are way too flimsy to hold a Kiev Alpha for example.. I may need to order some very thick ones and make holes in those or ask them to make holes in those for me...

I can't believe there isn't any other way to prop it up... any kind of a wooden stand with a bent fork maybe? What would those be used for? I'm thinking maybe there is something out there already for displaying of other items.. any gun displays possibly since these have similar shape? I would appreciate any ideas!

Thanks!
Vlad.
Go to Top of Page
Steve
Bull Halsey
USA
229 Posts
Posted - Oct 08 2008 :  12:54:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Vlad, you can always place them in a number of boxes like I did and spread them all over the floor of your family room. :-)

Enjoy !!

Steve
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Oct 08 2008 :  1:14:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
, no these need to be in the place of honor and displayed proudly and properly!
Go to Top of Page
Yuri Boguslavsky
fedka
USA
240 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Oct 08 2008 :  11:00:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit fedka's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Vlad,
Some cameras should have tripod sockets, so you may think about using them (not sure how, but they would provide solid mount)
Yuri
Go to Top of Page
Steve
Bull Halsey
USA
229 Posts
Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  12:53:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can always get a sheet of Oak, cut to size, stain it, then figure out your placement for tripod screws. Arrange the cameras then drill holes.

Didn't you do something like this for the Camera Show?

Steve

Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  08:58:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No I know I can use the tripod sockets, but these same sockets are used by the grips. I am trying to display these cameras with grips attached (sorry I called them handles before, must've been incorrect). I think a movie camera is complete when it has the provided grip on it and that is how it's supposed to be displayed.

Vlad
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google