Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Vladislav Kern
Vlad

USA
4248 Posts
My Collection

Posted - May 25 2008 :  12:26:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So I was thinking last night - in USSR, it's seems that each camera was a status symbol... here are the obvious choices that I think fit:

Smena - for university or school students
Kiev (Contax) - for people with money (officially there were no rich people in USSR )
Zenit E - for advanced amateurs
Agat, LOMO LC-A - for teenagers
Leningrad - for local newspaper reporters
Kiev MF SLRs, Salyut - for mid-level professional photographers
Zorki 4 - for university students between Smena and Zenit
FED-S - for officers
Photosnipers - for lonely old ladies who like birds

what else?
okynek
759 Posts
Posted - May 25 2008 :  9:06:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You forget obvios: F-21 for old grandmaa. She can not lift anything big and heavy.
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4248 Posts
My Collection

Posted - May 25 2008 :  9:33:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
haha, no on a serious note, it seems that certain line or model had been either targeted or adapter by a specific demographic, I'm just interested to hear which cameras you think were used by whom that you know of...

Vlad
Go to Top of Page
okynek
759 Posts
Posted - May 25 2008 :  10:22:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Smenas was camera of choice and necessity of solders in Soviet arm forces.
As you may imagine cameras was prohibited for privet use on Soviet military bases.
Smena was perfect camera to get around this. It small, light, cheep, easy to conceal, and always ready to use. It very reliable, does not need much maintainist, it could survive hot and cold.
Actually this is how I start collecting cameras: when I was in high school my uncle, officer, give me probably 10 cameras, all in grim conditions, cameras was expropriated as contraband from recruits on his base. All of but one camera was Smena. Most popular was Smena 8M. All of them were dirty and rusty. Uncle told me that many cameras was hidden underground and may survive few generations of recruits before they was taken away.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google