Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo

Brazil
1981 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Nov 12 2008 :  4:31:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
RCCCUK
1) Russian Camera Collectors Club site of David Tomlinson. Used to show some interesting matter. Suddenly the site disappeared. David do not answers mails. Any one to tell the history?

2) Rick Oleson also had an interesting site on Russian cameras repair. It also disappeared without any traces of existence.
What is happening?

Regards LP

Ulrich W.
uwittehh
Germany
821 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Nov 12 2008 :  4:46:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit uwittehh's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Luiz,

Ricks start page has changed, but the repair page does exist as before:

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-27.html

Ulrich

http://fotos.cconin.de
Go to Top of Page
Steve
Bull Halsey
USA
229 Posts
Posted - Nov 12 2008 :  11:36:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was a member of the RCCC for a few years. The Data Sheets that Dave Tomlinson printed were quite helpful when I started collecting Russian Cameras. My only issue was that afetr a short while , with the assistance of the Internet I was able to learn at a faster pace. That's when I discontinued my membership.

I'm sorry to see that the Club appears to no longer be in operation.

Steve
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Nov 13 2008 :  09:22:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Steve, do you still possess these datasheets? I am thinking of maybe scanning them and posting them to catalog... or do I need special permission from Dave Tomlinson for that? With the site defunct I doubt it'll pose an issue....

Thanks,
Vlad

Go to Top of Page

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Nov 13 2008 :  10:59:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Vlad,
I have the Data Sheets back to the beginning and can send them to you if you need them and steve doesn't have them. When I joined the RCCC I bought all the back issues. So I think I have the sheets from 1994 - 2004. Let me know if you need them and I send them over to you.

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Nov 13 2008 :  11:03:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bill for the offer, how many pages you think all that is?

Vlad
Go to Top of Page

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Nov 13 2008 :  11:23:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
500 - 600 small pages (6" x 8" so probably you can often scan two pages from the same article on one scan). However, probably 1/8 to 1/4 of the pages are things you wouldn't want to scan, such as 'letters to the editor' and 'member lists', although there are some relevant things in the 'letters' pages.
Also some things you may choose not to scan because the information is already rudimentary, common knowledge, or contained in the WIKI already. This is especially true of some of the earlier data sheets.

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Nov 13 2008 :  11:37:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I see, thanks Bill, I will get back to you if I decide to do this, I really appreciate the offer!

Vlad
Go to Top of Page

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Nov 13 2008 :  2:43:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Vlad,

If you want, during the next month, when I have free time, I could look through them all and make some decisions as to which data sheets would be valuable to have on the WIKI. If I had to guess, probably only about 1/4, or less, of the articles would be valuable as we already have so much of the info on the site from other entries. Then I could send the ones I think are good, along with the index (so you can look it over to see if there are other articles you think are interesting. I think the whole project would be a good addition if done slowly and added as a link to the entries we already have. I don't use these data sheets any more so I would not be in a hurry to get them back.

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page
BERRY alain
mermoz37
France
814 Posts
Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  02:57:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I possess too some data sheets if interesting for you (but nothing new for us inside ) : I was a member ,for a year, a long time ago ...then I left this club : after writing some free articles for it ...so never a "thank you" or something else from editor....
(at this time , making illustrations cost a little bit more than now whith digit pics and post fees also !).

It is more pleasant to cooperate here whith all friends : As far as I see , here , coutesy is the rule : thanks again VLAD
Go to Top of Page
Steve
Bull Halsey
USA
229 Posts
Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  09:32:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I have to set the record straight. I DO have all the sheets from the begining as well, Bill. When I joined I requested the full set right from the start, however Bill may have remained a member longer. If they stopped producing sheets in 2004 then that may be the only year I'm missing. Either way, it's my feeling that the info contained in the sheets wouldn't enlighten anyone in this group. The caliber of knowledge and expertise here goes well beyond the information found in the Data Sheets.

Vlad, if you want to borrow them, let me know. It appears that we have sheets coming out of our ears in the group.

Steve
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  09:49:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Steve, it would be awesome if you could bring them to the collector's meeting on Tuesday, I would like just skim through them to see whether there is anything interesting and maybe possibly borrow them if it's ok with you, if you don't mind of course.. there maybe some material that can be complimentary to this catalog.

Thanks so much!
Vlad.
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Nov 14 2008 :  09:51:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If anyone here does receive a reply from David of RCCC, please ask him about permission to post some of the material here? Thank you!
Go to Top of Page
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo
Brazil
1981 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Nov 17 2008 :  12:37:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I suggest putting David's RCCC issues in a different Wiki dept. once his issues have a different presentation. Or more .. make a Thomlinson's Wiki .. the origins of the Russian camera study. or anything like that. Making so a permanent reference for interested people.
LP
Go to Top of Page
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo
Brazil
1981 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Dec 02 2008 :  6:05:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Asking to forum..
Wanting hear from you about RCCC documentation. Contact with David, sugestions etc.
LP
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Dec 02 2008 :  8:32:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Luiz, I got the literature from Steve dating back to 1994... I'm going slowly through it, so far there is nothing really in there that we do not have here on the site already.. I noticed a few interesting tables though, I will post them in the near future...

Vlad.
Go to Top of Page
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo
Brazil
1981 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  3:13:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Vlad
Regards
LP
Go to Top of Page
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo
Brazil
1981 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  3:17:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
On Thomlinson's papers there are at least :
the interesting PF1 and PF2 360° cameras and the Rodina Hybrid Zorki Kiev and Exakta camera.
Also some movie cameras
Regards
LP
Go to Top of Page
David Tomlinson
RCCCUK
United Kingdom
208 Posts
Posted - Mar 17 2009 :  10:46:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Russian Camera Collectors Club still exists as a web-based club. The new website, since January 2009 is at: www.rcccuk.com
The copyright of the RCCC Data Sheets remains with me, and cannot be published online without my permission.
Thank you for your continued interest. David Tomlinson
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Mar 17 2009 :  11:13:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello David! Welcome to USSRPhoto!

Thank you very much for responding. I was waiting for your reply in any kind of form so none of the materials were scanned or posted, your copyright is and will be respected especially since your site is back online.

Great to hear your site is still alive and well, as far as I understand it is a cornerstone of Soviet camera collecting, so I am very glad you are back with us! Thank you very much for all your hard work! I hope you will get involved in our discussions in the future!

Best regards,
Vlad
Go to Top of Page
Zoom
596 Posts
Posted - Mar 17 2009 :  7:02:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RCCCUK

The copyright of the RCCC Data Sheets remains with me, and cannot be published online without my permission.

We are waiting for the "RCCC Data Sheets" issues publication...
Go to Top of Page
Zoom
596 Posts
Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  1:05:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I see, David was registered only to forbid a using of Russian Camera Collectors Club materials and prevent it publication. It is sad...
For me: information must be free.
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  2:51:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Zoom, it's a personal preference - if one spent a lot of time developing a piece of content it is his/her choice to use it publicly or commercially... we need to respect intellectual property.

Vlad
Go to Top of Page
Zoom
596 Posts
Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  6:28:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vlad
it's a personal preference - if one spent a lot of time developing a piece of content it is his/her choice to use it publicly or commercially...

Sorry, Vlad, you are wrong...

mermoz37 said:
quote:
after writing some free articles for it ...so never a "thank you" or something else from editor...

Not only mermoz37 wrote an articles to the "RCCC Data Sheets"... It was a collective work! And RCCC is a Club and David Tomlinson is not an authors' employer.
So, according the "Copyright, Designs and Patents Act" of Great Britain: "The author of a work is the first owner of any copyright in it" (I-I-11.1).

So David Tomlinson have no rights to say that he is only one who have the copyright...
Go to Top of Page
Luiz Paracampo
Luiz Paracampo
Brazil
1981 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  7:39:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luiz Paracampo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dimitri: - I completely agree with your point of view in this matter, I also believe that several of our members so do.
This citizen being our matter of discussion, is our member since Sep 26 2007, and of course presupposing him in having a great amount of information on Soviet camera making collected along the years, he at Mar 17 2009 instead of contributing with any information, only wrote claiming an action we didn't.
I believe that this forum, which in a so short time lapse became world known among camera collectors, due its large amount of cameras shown is also known as a source of public knowledge about Soviet equipment. Knowledge as I believe is the right of everyone; and this knowledge is also democratically and freely shared not only by our members but by everyone coming to us, and we do so with no intention of any commercial basis.
Regards
LP
Go to Top of Page

Bill Parkinson
nightphoto
USA
1027 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  8:24:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit nightphoto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No doubt that if Alain, for example, has written an article for the RCCC Data Sheets, then it is Alain who owns the copyright of the text and and images that he sent to RCCC to be published. Of course this would be true with other authors too. Since David Tomlinson, in the Data Sheets has always asked for and largely depended on contributions from many authors, I doubt that he can claim sole copyright ownership to the information in the Data Sheets ... very much in the way that Vlad could not claim full copyright ownership to all of the information and images in this site.

However, in fact, in the Data Sheets that I have from the RCCC which covers approximately 1994 - 2004, there is not very much information that is not contained in our site or in Princelle's two editions. There is some information that may not be widely known or available elsewhere, but certainly that information can not be copyrighted, although an exact text article or image may have a copyright ownership by the author who wrote it, including David Tomlinson if he is the author.

Anyone who would want to borrow my copies of the RCCC Data Sheets to look through them and possibly write their own article(s) based on the information that they and other resources may contain is welcome to do so. Just let me know.

I can also just take a look through them and let the forum know what subjects they may contain that other sources do not contain. To do this, we could just start a thread that was titled "DATA - RCCC" and then I or anyone else could write posts concerning knowledge we have learned from reading these sheets. Not long back and forth posts, but more like a synopsis of the info. Let me know if you would want to make that a project. Probably some of our other members besides David Tomlinson also have access to the sheets and would want to share information with our members and others who love the cameras!

Regards, Bill

Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  9:38:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Even though I may generally agree with Zoom's and Luiz's point of view, I'm not going to republish the datasheets scanned or verbatim without Mr. Tomlinson's explicit permission.. thus is a policy of this site. But if Alain or any original contributor to RCCC decides to provide me with the originals of the articles that they've submitted to RCCC I have not issues placing them here since they are the author.

The only interesting pieces to me in terms of content that I've found in these datasheets were the tables Mr. Tomlinson put together (I think he did that himself), so since these are the only parts I was waiting permission to republish, I will not do so since I do not have this permission. According to rules we've established at the creation of this site here - http://www.ussrphoto.com/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=169 - I am not going to proceed with this matter any further...

Thanks,
Vlad.
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  9:45:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
And refer to this post too

http://www.ussrphoto.com/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50
Go to Top of Page

Juhani Halmeenmaki
cedricfan
Finland
1013 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Mar 25 2009 :  12:25:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit cedricfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Naturally we have to honor legal copyrights, and be polite. But the writer is the copyrigth owner in this case, so his work must be honoured. And not anyone other, who only has published the text for free. Also being polite to the publisher is not needed if he reacts in this manner towards us. Far from that!

Best regards,
Juhani
Go to Top of Page
BERRY alain
mermoz37
France
814 Posts
Posted - Mar 25 2009 :  04:55:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi all,
in my mind ....
A.f.a.i.k. I feel free to give my text and pictures to anyone which want to publish (in the French rules in Journalism) so....We cannot publish a copy of pages , or extract of pages(scan for example) from original print whithout agreement of the first publisher. (agreement would be "courtesy" or "rights bill")
once again I hope to be understanded in spite of my very bad english...
Alain
Go to Top of Page
David Tomlinson
RCCCUK
United Kingdom
208 Posts
Posted - Apr 01 2009 :  07:46:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I notice that my previous response has caused a certain amount of debate on the copyright issue relating to the RCCC Data Sheets. Copyright rests with the original author of the contribution, but in the case of these Data Sheets, contributions from other authors only amount to ten out of the total number of aticles on cameras, lenses and accessories. All the others were written by me. In every other case the author is credited, and it is the author's permission that you need to seek in order to republish any of these items. As my reason for starting the Russian Camera Collectors Club was to share informaton on Soviet-made photographic equipment, I have no objection to my articles being used on websites that are relevant to the subject.

David Tomlinson (Russian Camera Collectors Club)
Go to Top of Page

Vladislav Kern
Vlad
USA
4247 Posts
My Collection

Posted - Apr 02 2009 :  12:37:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vlad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
David thanks for replying.. just to clarify, are you saying you are now giving permission to maybe add some materials (like maybe a few data tables from the sheets) to the catalog? I want to confirm that please. Assuming it's all properly credited to original author of course. A live link to your site is possible in the entry as well.

Thanks!
Vlad
Go to Top of Page
David Tomlinson
RCCCUK
United Kingdom
208 Posts
Posted - Apr 03 2009 :  04:15:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vlad, thank you for your interest. I confirm that I am happy for you to add any of my content to the catalogue (as we spell it here!).

David (RCCC)
Go to Top of Page
David Tomlinson
RCCCUK
United Kingdom
208 Posts
Posted - Apr 03 2009 :  04:38:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a thought, Vlad. - As we are always finding out more about Soviet cameras, it is possible that some of my information could be amended. If you check with me first, I will be very willing to add an information that I may have gathered since I first wrote the item.

David (RCCC)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
USSRPhoto.com Forums © USSRPhoto.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Google